• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Ad” Topperwain Challenge

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
The squirrel in the head thread from a few weeks ago got me back in love with some of my old .22’s. And thinking about a “project” I always wanted to undertake with a .22.

Since I was a kid, I saw articles and later some videos of the husband and wife team Ad and “Plinky” Tooperwain. They were exhibition shooters for, among others, Winchester.

I always wanted to find one of his tin Indians. Shot with a Winchester pump or auto at 25 feet in front of a crowd… then the “Indian” was presented to someone in the audience. There is a Topperwain at the Buffalo Bill museum. And the only two I ever saw outside a museum were in a gun club “clubhouse” in Raleigh, NC.

These were shot with iron sights. Seated Offhand. As fast as Tooperwain or his wife could load the rifle. At 25 feet. No dots to shoot at. He just shot the tin with the “pattern” in his head.

Here’s a couple of examples.

0AA02DFB-2C6B-4401-9308-83DBF2FAA0D8.jpeg
9E28B2F2-8E8D-429B-8E71-B1D677D1AEBD.jpeg

So having given up on owning a real Topperwain (they sell for thousands now), I am going to make my own. And it got me thinking that the world needs more tin Indians not less. And it might make a good Snipers Hide “exercise.” Kind of the ultimate rim fire dot drill!

So challenge rules. Really? Rules? Only one. Must shoot at 25 feet or more. Can use a dot template. Can use a scope. Can be as big or small a piece of tin as you like. Can lay paper on the tin with a pattern on it. Can be prone. Can do on indoor range. Can do in .17 or even a center fire if you want. Can use rests, bags, anything.

The only thing that matters is you get a good Indian head that would make Ad Topperwain and his wife “Plinky” proud. Btw, her name is where the term “Plinking came from. She was a trick shooter, too.)

At the end of the challenge… you get a piece of wall art that will make your friends go “wow” and a great sense of satisfaction.

Any takers? @buffalowinter ??

Cheers, Sirhr

PS. Already plotting my strategy…. Winchester 52 target. Copper sheet with a paper template (though I will practice before using the copper!!!) And lots of time to get it right. Btw, for templates, any local Kinkos or Office Depot can take the above images and blow them up and make several copies cheap.

PPS... if you want to do a different image... that's fair game too! He did Uncle Sam, Custer... others. Use your imagination!

Last edited:
The squirrel in the head thread from a few weeks ago got me back in love with some of my old .22’s. And thinking about a “project” I always wanted to undertake with a .22.

Since I was a kid, I saw articles and later some videos of the husband and wife team Ad and “Plinky” Tooperwain. They were exhibition shooters for, among others, Winchester.

I always wanted to find one of his tin Indians. Shot with a Winchester pump or auto at 25 feet in front of a crowd… then the “Indian” was presented to someone in the audience. There is a Topperwain at the Buffalo Bill museum. And the only two I ever saw outside a museum were in a gun club “clubhouse” in Raleigh, NC.

These were shot with iron sights. Seated Offhand. As fast as Tooperwain or his wife could load the rifle. At 25 feet. No dots to shoot at. He just shot the tin with the “pattern” in his head.

View attachment 7904063View attachment 7904064

So having given up on owning a real Topperwain (they sell for thousands now), I am going to make my own. And it got me thinking that the world needs more tin Indians not less. And it might make a good Snipers Hide “exercise.” Kind of the ultimate rim fire dot drill!

So challenge rules. Really? Rules? Only one. Must shoot at 25 feet or more. Can use a dot template. Can use a scope. Can be as big or small a piece of tin as you like. Can lay paper on the tin with a pattern on it. Can be prone. Can do on indoor range. Can do in .17 or even a center fire if you want. Can use rests, bags, anything.

The only thing that matters is you get a good Indian head that would make Ad Topperwain and his wife “Plinky” proud. Btw, her name is where the term “Plinking came from. She was a trick shooter, too.)

At the end of the challenge… you get a piece of wall art that will make your friends go “wow” and a great sense of satisfaction.

Cheers, Sirhr

PS. Already plotting my strategy…. Winchester 52 target. Copper sheet with a paper template (though I will practice before using the copper!!!) And lots of time to get it right. Btw, for templates, any local Kinkos or Office Depot can take the above images and blow them up and make several copies cheap.

PPS... if you want to do a different image... that's fair game too! He did Uncle Sam, Custer... others. Use your imagination!

Challenge accepted!

362b60be89cfb876b77da85bb50d916f.jpg

Copper sheeting ain't cheap.
Flashing is...sold at the hardware store...same effect with the holes.
Paint it copper-ish after shooting... something to try.

Could use tin snips on an aluminum container or metal jug too.

If you were to mount it razor edged punctures pointing out,
could you write something in braille like..."Danger: Sharp Edges, Don't Touch! "

Just thinking out loud here.
:unsure:

e098a6cd01321bc5954d954f40d39509--general-crafts-punch.jpg

22lr for the larger holes, 17hm2 for smaller holes,
CCI Copper 22 ought to be good for the keyholes.
:sneaky:

Last edited:
Copper sheeting ain't cheap.
Flashing is...sold at the hardware store...same effect with the holes.
Paint it copper-ish after shooting... something to try.

Could use tin snips on an aluminum container or metal jug too.

If you were to mount it razor edged punctures pointing out,
could you write something in braille like..."Danger: Sharp Edges, Don't Touch! "

Just thinking out loud here.
:unsure:

e098a6cd01321bc5954d954f40d39509--general-crafts-punch.jpg

22lr for the larger holes, 17hm2 for smaller holes,
CCI Copper 22 ought to be good for the keyholes.
:sneaky:
Fortunately, I can get almost unlimited offcuts of roofing copper from a friend locally. Lots of the rich Canuckistanians want their McMansions done in copper roofs... So offcuts are not hard to get.

But going to do some serious practicing before I try on copper.

@buffalowinter you are a better man than I, Gunga Din!

BTW, this was done by one of your 5th Group bretheren with a Marlin 39a... He did it for a bunch of boy scouts when he was a local scoutmaster.

jail.jpg

Put it outside of a tent at a jamboree or somesuch.

Anyhoo....

Cheers,

Sirhr

Did I mention I did that shooting backwards over my shoulder using a mirror?:) But you did get me thinking. I might as well make a target with little dots on it in the outline of a picture. Shoot at the little dots and make a picture rather that just shooting at little dots on a paper target.

Did I mention I did that shooting backwards over my shoulder using a mirror?:) But you did get me thinking. I might as well make a target with little dots on it in the outline of a picture. I maght as well shoot at the little dots and make a picture rather that just shooting at little dots on a paper target.
Right? Why Not.

And you could do it with your Groza for extra cred!

Sirhr

I really like this thread, and it’s rather timely. Last weekend I was getting some warm fuzzy with the very handgun I learned on, and after wearing out the upper left and right bulls, the human silhouette’s heart, some dot pasties, etc. I decided to draw a smiley face with bullets.
That little challenge humbled me severely! In no way could the “pattern” be construed as anything resembling a human face! Guess I need more trigger time 👍
A lot of trigger time…..

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Not sure how I missed this. Anyone get one finished?
About 35-40 years ago I had a chance to buy one of Topperwine’s Winchester 63’s.
It was in fairly well used condition of course.
It was in Acapulco Mexico and I passed due to uncertain logistics. It was not expensive but later I saw it listed for huge money. It had been a gift to his attorney. One of my many big mistakes.

BTW,
I just recalled that Topperwine used a pair of 63 Rifles. Actually they were 20” barreled ones often called carbines or short rifles. All the early ones were short barrel. Later most or all were 22”. Never saw much overlap of short to long.
Some of the old stock was offered after the long barrels came out but numbers were earlier from what I sawZ

So the day finally arrived... right weather... had the steel in hand. Brick of .22. And didn't feel like mowing the lawn...

This means that it was time to undertake the Ad Topperwein Challenge. Hey, I made the challenge... seems only fair that I give it a shot! So to speak.

So first, Ad Topperwein shot his Indians and other portraits from about 25 feet away with a semi-auto or pump .22 in about 5 minutes. Open sights. on a blank sheet of tin. The man was a the greatest exhibition shooter in history. No way can I emulate that feat.

But I am not bad with a bolt gun. And at 50 feet with a good scope, all I had to do was use good breath control, good trigger discipline and breathing management. And not miss 200+ times in a row. That's not hard, right?

indian 1.jpeg

So got a piece of sheet metal (20 gauge... I'd suggest 22 or 24 gauge for anyone trying to do this. The 20 gauge is a bit thick.) Overlaid it with a printed 'image' of my indian. Each dot is about the size of a thumbtack. Duct taped the sheet on the front. Yesterday, I re-sighted my Model 52 Target rifle and Litschert Spot scope for 50 feet (it was set for 100 yards). I have had this gun since the early '90's and I call it my 'money gun' because I used to win so much money in 50-50 shoots with it. It is unreal accurate. Old guns still rule! I also set up a 'sighting' target next to my main target as I wanted to be able to 'check my zero' now and then. Turned out I really didn't need to except a couple of times just to be sure.

indian 2.jpeg

Here is my setup... @pmclaine will definitely appreciate this... lots of nice wood, oil and leather! And did I mention Leitschert? Yes, I am shooting off a bench at 50 feet. Rules for the Ad Topperwein challenge are... whatever you want to do. Short of holding your muzzle on the target... scopes? Offhand? Pistol? Bench? Over shoulder with a mirror... up to you.

indian 3.jpeg

Note my Bluetooth headphones. I actually listened to three complete Pink Floyd albums while shooting this. Calms me down and helps with breathing.

indian 4.jpeg

Not much of a scope view... these oldies are really sensitive to eye relief and parallax. So through the scope picture is about impossible.

indian 5.jpeg

^^^ Hey, it's a pretty picture anyway So is the other side of the gun...

indian 6.jpeg

Fired my first shot at 11:20 AM and finished about 1:30. Pretty much solid shooting. Though I did take a break about every 20 shots to walk up to the target and mark my hits. Though I could see them pretty well through the scope, depending on light and shadow, it was occasionally hard to tell which dots had been hit and which had not. Oh yeah... ammo. Off the shelf CCI .22 match. Had never used that in this rifle before. Usually shot Eley. But it LOVED the CCI.

So now that we have the setup figured out... Time to get down to some shooting in the next installment.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Attachments

• indian 7.jpeg
    indian 7.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 46
  • indian 8.jpeg
    indian 8.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 43
  • indian 9.jpeg
    indian 9.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 50
  • indian 9a.jpeg
    indian 9a.jpeg
    762.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Dang cool!! Maybe one day I’ll get around to actually trying

So time to get to some shooting... Used a rolled up pack blanket and a rear bag. And yes, that is a rocking chair. Not one comment from the peanut gallery on that or I'll hit you with a Sam Elliot quote... Anyway, Away we go!

indian 8.jpeg

Shot in traunches of 10 - 20 rounds. Then walked to the target and marked the dots I'd addressed with a sharpie. If I missed (forgot) one, I'd put a circle around it and make sure I went back to get it. Each dot is about the size of the head of a thumbtack. Not much bigger than a .22. So the challenge was to keep things right in the center of the black as much as possible. A few were a bit off center, but more on that later. Some "mid-course corrections" were made, more on that later.

indian 7.jpeg

One thing I learned to do 'the hard way' was turn the gun off axis when closing the bolt... I had a 'slam fire' when closing the bolt, but fortunately it hit a spot where I could 'work it in' to the design. I tightened up the trigger screw (added a few ounces) and the overtravel (added a bit more overtravel)... and the problem never repeated. But time to clean the 52, I guess! Anyway, don't keep aimed at the target while closing the bolt...

indian 9.jpeg

Shoot, mark, shoot, mark... I didn't count all the holes, but judging by my empty boxes it was somewhere around 200 - 225. If one of you OCD types wants to count them, let me know. The eye hole took three shots, by the way. Once I had the top half done, I turned the target over, rather than start shooting 'down.' Probably not necessary, but better ergonomics from my rocking chair.

indian 9a.jpeg

I will tell you that as I got down to the last 15 shots or so... the pressure to 'not fuck up' did start to rear its head. Took longer between each shot... and took a few 'sighters' off to the left just to keep in rhythm. But got through them all. I did have a couple that sort of went 'high or low' or 'out of line.' But by the end I was able to mid-course correct by very tiny amounts to keep my lines straight, even if I was not exactly on the dots. You can see some of the 'misses' if you zoom in. Look left and right of them and you may see the corrections.

indian 9e.jpeg

The .22's passed throught he 20 gauge steel fine. But any that were too close together could create a crack or work-harden. Only issue with the whole target with around the mouth. And really only visible from close-up. After I finished, I ran a grinder over the back and cleaned up the edges. Sharp eyed folks will note the 'dent' in the lower left of the above picture. Not an accident. I shot at an edge to make sure the .22 would pass through and it was too close to the edge, causing a dent not a hole. I adjusted my 'edges' of the paper for that.
indian 9c.jpeg

And here is the finished target... trimmed, ground on back. A bit of work with a dead-blow hammer on a steel table and got the 'warp' out of it (caused by work hardening and the deformation of the sheet.) So now it's flat, has a back that won't cut your hand. And is ready for framing!

indian 9d.jpeg

BTW, this would work just fine with centerfire, too... the Ad Topperwein challenge on Snipers Hide is open to whatever you want to shoot with!

So, gauntlet thrown! I bet some of you can do even better. I am planning to do another... Uncle Sam on a sheet of copper. I have the metal, but no way am I doing two of these in one day!

Who's next?

Cheers!

Sirhr

My M2 with 30X Unertl couldn’t do that, or more accurately (no pun intended) stated……I could not do that.

So time to get to some shooting... Used a rolled up pack blanket and a rear bag. And yes, that is a rocking chair. Not one comment from the peanut gallery on that or I'll hit you with a Sam Elliot quote... Anyway, Away we go!

View attachment 8193399

Shot in traunches of 10 - 20 rounds. Then walked to the target and marked the dots I'd addressed with a sharpie. If I missed (forgot) one, I'd put a circle around it and make sure I went back to get it. Each dot is about the size of the head of a thumbtack. Not much bigger than a .22. So the challenge was to keep things right in the center of the black as much as possible. A few were a bit off center, but more on that later. Some "mid-course corrections" were made, more on that later.

View attachment 8193398

One thing I learned to do 'the hard way' was turn the gun off axis when closing the bolt... I had a 'slam fire' when closing the bolt, but fortunately it hit a spot where I could 'work it in' to the design. I tightened up the trigger screw (added a few ounces) and the overtravel (added a bit more overtravel)... and the problem never repeated. But time to clean the 52, I guess! Anyway, don't keep aimed at the target while closing the bolt...

View attachment 8193400

Shoot, mark, shoot, mark... I didn't count all the holes, but judging by my empty boxes it was somewhere around 200 - 225. If one of you OCD types wants to count them, let me know. The eye hole took three shots, by the way. Once I had the top half done, I turned the target over, rather than start shooting 'down.' Probably not necessary, but better ergonomics from my rocking chair.

View attachment 8193401

I will tell you that as I got down to the last 15 shots or so... the pressure to 'not fuck up' did start to rear its head. Took longer between each shot... and took a few 'sighters' off to the left just to keep in rhythm. But got through them all. I did have a couple that sort of went 'high or low' or 'out of line.' But by the end I was able to mid-course correct by very tiny amounts to keep my lines straight, even if I was not exactly on the dots. You can see some of the 'misses' if you zoom in. Look left and right of them and you may see the corrections.

View attachment 8193405

The .22's passed throught he 20 gauge steel fine. But any that were too close together could create a crack or work-harden. Only issue with the whole target with around the mouth. And really only visible from close-up. After I finished, I ran a grinder over the back and cleaned up the edges. Sharp eyed folks will note the 'dent' in the lower left of the above picture. Not an accident. I shot at an edge to make sure the .22 would pass through and it was too close to the edge, causing a dent not a hole. I adjusted my 'edges' of the paper for that. View attachment 8193403

And here is the finished target... trimmed, ground on back. A bit of work with a dead-blow hammer on a steel table and got the 'warp' out of it (caused by work hardening and the deformation of the sheet.) So now it's flat, has a back that won't cut your hand. And is ready for framing!

View attachment 8193404

BTW, this would work just fine with centerfire, too... the Ad Topperwein challenge on Snipers Hide is open to whatever you want to shoot with!

So, gauntlet thrown! I bet some of you can do even better. I am planning to do another... Uncle Sam on a sheet of copper. I have the metal, but no way am I doing two of these in one day!

Who's next?

Cheers!

Sirhr
I don't know where your "slam fire" happened on the target, must have worked into the design better than you thought. Well done @sirhrmechanic !

Well, I don't want to brag but my 22 rimfire art resembles more of Picasso's works than anything traditional. Only the well educated and discerning observers with refined tastes can see the emergence of elegance whilst the plebian masses see random and incoherent bullet holes in my ballistic endeavors.

hqdefault.jpg

Well, I don't want to brag but my 22 rimfire art resembles more of Picasso's works than anything traditional. Only the well educated and discerning observers with refined tastes can see the emergence of elegance whilst the plebian masses see random and incoherent bullet holes in my ballistic endeavors.

hqdefault.jpg

Try this! You have to hit the black dot.

IMG_4345.jpeg

Sirhr

hqdefault.jpg

Certainly better than anything Mapplethorpe did.

It’s too bad Beaus wife threw Hunters .38 away……the masterpieces he could have created….

Last edited:

View attachment 7904063View attachment 7904064

Cheers, Sirhr

There is one of the Indian Chief ones at one of the local gun stores.............it's been there for a long time........the gun store was originally next door to the Hodgdon Powder Co.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Oops, I did it again...

This time things went much faster... I had a lot more confidence in my rifle and ammo. And finished this one in under 2 hours. Only difference is .032 Copper sheet vs. steel. Punches a much nicer hole than the steel! But, again, I'd recommend thinner material than I used. See above.

This time doing Uncle Sam. Also picture above, I think. I decided to add my own touch and banged a US in his hat. It's not perfect, but looks good if you don't focus on it ;-) By the time I was part way through this one, I was correcting 'errors' on the original Ad Topperwein target by moving my shots as little as a 16th of an inch up or down to bring things into alignment. Things were going that well.

Again, range of 50 feet... Just what this rifle was designed for. And man was it in a groove today.

Here's my target with my 'added' US on ths hat.

top 6.jpeg

^^^ This was after shooting. Every 10 - 20 shots, I'd go mark the hits. And circle any I did not address. You can see some shots that I 'moved' intentionally in order to line things up better. This time, I didn't turn it upside down, either.

top 4.jpeg

Range. 50 feet from muzzle to target. Before you joke about the rocking chair, don't knock it until you have tried it. Really easy to roll in and get a firm cheek rest and bone weld, etc. Old guys rule.

top 5.jpeg

Winchester 52, CCI... not even match target. Just standard velocity and really consistent. I had to break into a second brick for about the last 30 rounds. But they were same lot and hit dead nuts.

top 3.jpeg

If you use a nice piece of wood for a backer, you can get a twofer! Not sure you would get through two pieces of metal neatly, though. The bullets flatten out a lot.

top 2.jpeg

As i mentioned, the copper cuts much nicer than the steel did. Clean punches and no rough edges. A bit more expensive, but in the grand scheme of wall art, copper is definitely the way to go! Both pieces of metal came from a buddy who does roofing and sheetmetal work, so were free (traded for Bacon and beer... almost free). Your mileage may vary. But why skimp on materials?

top 1.jpeg

Finished Uncle Sam! I decided not to bother framing them, I'm just going to drill a couple of holes in the top corners and hang them.

Ok... cross this off my 'cool things I always wanted to do' list. I get to retire on a winning streak. Though I am having thoughts about doing one of the Half Face Blades Logo to send to them... Andy Arrabito would love that stuff.

Gauntlet thrown guys... I know loads of folks here are capable. You just have to shoot off an entire brick of .22 (plus 30 rounds) and not miss once. Carry on!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I went into an old hardware store in downtown Port Lavaca TX to get some plumbing parts. One wall was a shelf with draw pulls nailed to wood shot shell boxes. I thought man I would love to have those old boxes. Then I looked up and saw it! A Toepperwein cheif!! I asked the older gentleman is that a Toepperwein? He said sure is, you are one of the few who knows what that is. He told me he watched Ad shoot it on the front beach during a exhibition. It was displayed in the store for many years. He was in his 90's when he told me this story, they were having a new roof installed on the store and he happened to walk by the roll off trash dumpster and there laid the Chief. It had been stuck up in the rafters before an expected hurricane and forgotten about. It was just luck that he went to the store that day and saved it from being tossed by the roofers.

Oops, I did it again...

This time things went much faster... I had a lot more confidence in my rifle and ammo. And finished this one in under 2 hours. Only difference is .032 Copper sheet vs. steel. Punches a much nicer hole than the steel! But, again, I'd recommend thinner material than I used. See above.

This time doing Uncle Sam. Also picture above, I think. I decided to add my own touch and banged a US in his hat. It's not perfect, but looks good if you don't focus on it ;-) By the time I was part way through this one, I was correcting 'errors' on the original Ad Topperwein target by moving my shots as little as a 16th of an inch up or down to bring things into alignment. Things were going that well.

Again, range of 50 feet... Just what this rifle was designed for. And man was it in a groove today.

Here's my target with my 'added' US on ths hat.

View attachment 8213837

^^^ This was after shooting. Every 10 - 20 shots, I'd go mark the hits. And circle any I did not address. You can see some shots that I 'moved' intentionally in order to line things up better. This time, I didn't turn it upside down, either.

View attachment 8213835

Range. 50 feet from muzzle to target. Before you joke about the rocking chair, don't knock it until you have tried it. Really easy to roll in and get a firm cheek rest and bone weld, etc. Old guys rule.

View attachment 8213836

Winchester 52, CCI... not even match target. Just standard velocity and really consistent. I had to break into a second brick for about the last 30 rounds. But they were same lot and hit dead nuts.

View attachment 8213834

If you use a nice piece of wood for a backer, you can get a twofer! Not sure you would get through two pieces of metal neatly, though. The bullets flatten out a lot.

View attachment 8213833

As i mentioned, the copper cuts much nicer than the steel did. Clean punches and no rough edges. A bit more expensive, but in the grand scheme of wall art, copper is definitely the way to go! Both pieces of metal came from a buddy who does roofing and sheetmetal work, so were free (traded for Bacon and beer... almost free). Your mileage may vary. But why skimp on materials?

View attachment 8213832

Finished Uncle Sam! I decided not to bother framing them, I'm just going to drill a couple of holes in the top corners and hang them.

Ok... cross this off my 'cool things I always wanted to do' list. I get to retire on a winning streak. Though I am having thoughts about doing one of the Half Face Blades Logo to send to them... Andy Arrabito would love that stuff.

Gauntlet thrown guys... I know loads of folks here are capable. You just have to shoot off an entire brick of .22 (plus 30 rounds) and not miss once. Carry on!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Damn nice shootin sir!!!

Damn nice shootin sir!!!
Thanks.... did this one while listening to a university lecture on the battle of Kursk.

Few things are more relaxing than you against ballstics... No excuses... no competition. Just relax and shoot. Most of these shots I knew were in the center of the dot the instant the trigger broke. That's just being in the groove!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks.... did this one while listening to a university lecture on the battle of Kursk.

Few things are more relaxing than you against ballstics... No excuses... no competition. Just relax and shoot. Most of these shots I knew were in the center of the dot the instant the trigger broke. That's just being in the groove!

Cheers,

Sirhr
I’ll get to the task eventually. I did my trial with the 1885 winder musket, and just don’t think it will make the cut. Debating on which rifle I want to try next

I’ll get to the task eventually. I did my trial with the 1885 winder musket, and just don’t think it will make the cut. Debating on which rifle I want to try next

A Ruger Precision Rimfire (if you are into modern stuff) would more than be up to the task. Any Anschutz. Any old Remington or Winchester or Savage target rifle. The scope is a must (for me at least). But if you can dial the scope down to 50 feet...

.22's are remarkably accurate and consistent at 50 feet. ;-) Don't forget the rocking chair. It's key!

Sirhr

A Ruger Precision Rimfire (if you are into modern stuff) would more than be up to the task. Any Anschutz. Any old Remington or Winchester or Savage target rifle. The scope is a must (for me at least). But if you can dial the scope down to 50 feet...

.22's are remarkably accurate and consistent at 50 feet. ;-) Don't forget the rocking chair. It's key!

Sirhr
Got a 457 varmint that might be the next try! I’ve begrudgingly accepted the fact a scope will be a must for me as well. I have a unertl 24x that I am searching for a rifle for, and that could be the right thing, depending on what rifle I find. Almost bought a Stevens Favorite the other day, but it wasn’t in good enough shape for what I want. He had a 32 rimfire version as well, but that brass/ammo is like hens teef.

Got a 457 varmint that might be the next try! I’ve begrudgingly accepted the fact a scope will be a must for me as well. I have a unertl 24x that I am searching for a rifle for, and that could be the right thing, depending on what rifle I find. Almost bought a Stevens Favorite the other day, but it wasn’t in good enough shape for what I want. He had a 32 rimfire version as well, but that brass/ammo is like hens teef.
I would think the Winder or the CZ would do it just fine... But mounting the scope would be tough on the Winder (have to drill for blocks, probably.

My Lietschert is 24X as well. But dials down to 50 feet just fine.

BTW, Winder's are cool! I still have a jones for a Martini Actioned .22 target rifle. Under-appreciated and really cool! I've also got an older Soviet .22 Biathlon rifle. Izmash, IIRC. Not quite olympic level... probably something for their 'high school' or Red Army teams. Or Youth Training. It's pretty crude, actually. But damn is it accurate! They imported a ton of those about 20 years ago. I think I paid $150 for it. With 5 magazines and a full biathlon sling rig. Impulse purchase because it seemed like a lot of gun for really short $$.

Sirhr

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I would think the Winder or the CZ would do it just fine... But mounting the scope would be tough on the Winder (have to drill for blocks, probably.
Guy I know has a winder with an a5 mounted to it, he won’t sell it though. Mine is US marked so don’t want to mess with it.

Using a Win 52 is unfair! :)
See rules above... No rules! Except at least 25 feet!

Folks here in the rimfire group have guns that are shooting well under 1 MOA... Shooting at extreme ranges. They will all be able to shoot as-well-as or better-than a 52. The only thing I get is style points ;-)

Seriously... you want to be shooting sub 1" groups at 100.... and want to practice breathing, cheek weld, trigger break ammo, scope, rifle.... all the fundamentals. What could be better than this? No wind to bother you. No anomalies. If you can put every shot into 1/4" dot at 50 feet consistently... your fundamentals at 100 yards will mean you can concentrate on 100 yard problems... wind being the primary thing. Thus the value of the 'challenge. Anyone who shoots this with any .22 should, on a calm day, be able to shoot easy 3/4" groups at 300 feet. Right? Or if you aren't, at least you will know it's NOT... your breathing, weld, trigger control ammo, scope, rifle, etc.

Our Capo de Capo @Lowlight just did a great video/podcast on fundamentals. Because without the fundamentals, everything else is... not luck... but... harder. I'll argue that this is the ultimate challenge for refining or polishing or proving out your fundamentals! Because all it takes at 50 feet, besides a good rifle (which most folks here have) is... good fundamentals. If you pull it off, your fundamentals are solid! If you don't... is it not a good argument that your groups at 100 won't be up to your potential?

Anyhoo... All that and... what other shooting exercise gets you an awesome piece to hang in your office and brag on? Just 'sayin.

As for the rifle... It's a good one to use. I've also been shooting it for 30 years. So.... there is that.

Cheers!!

Sirhr

Reactions: RTH1800