• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Budget” Custom actions

can you heat it up after the barrel is toast to remove the barrel nut?
Yes. It is sort of a pain to get the nut cleaned up to do another install. Some just spend the money to avoid having to mess with it and buy another nut. I am cheap, so I clean them up and reuse them. It is my opinion that a heat gun gives better control of the temp than a torch to keep from getting something too hot and having the nut warp or something wonky. It's probably an illogical concern, but it makes me feel better.

Someone may have a better chemical brew to get the loctite off. I just use mechanical removal with a brush, knife, pick, whatever I have and some brake cleaner or alcohol to get it off. It's not fun, but it saves buying a new nut.

It would be nice to have a set screw on nut and red loctite.
This was my thought initially as well. I decided to give it a go without the set screw, and I have had zero problems. My concerns about the set screw where that I would either create tension on one side or that I would need to drill and tap into the tenon which would be difficult to line up correctly on a second barrel to get the headspace exactly where I wanted it without using a new nut and drilling everything at the same time.

Yes. It is sort of a pain to get the nut cleaned up to do another install. Some just spend the money to avoid having to mess with it and buy another nut. I am cheap, so I clean them up and reuse them. It is my opinion that a heat gun gives better control of the temp than a torch to keep from getting something too hot and having the nut warp or something wonky. It's probably an illogical concern, but it makes me feel better.

Someone may have a better chemical brew to get the loctite off. I just use mechanical removal with a brush, knife, pick, whatever I have and some brake cleaner or alcohol to get it off. It's not fun, but it saves buying a new nut.
I could chuck up the nut and clean the threads out easy in the lathe.