• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors “Cinematic” sounding suppressors

SoundFx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
NV
Hi All,

I know, it’s a bit of an odd request for info.

My work involves recording and otherwise creating sounds for interactive stuff. I’ve already got a bunch of cans (DA, Surefire, SiCo). However I am looking for perhaps more oddball (but still commercially available) suppressors that have unique tonal characteristics that subjectively sound “cool and different”.

One suppressor (that I don’t have) was present on a MK13 I was recording in Utah, and it had a cool tonal chirp to it that my other cans lack. Are there other choices out there that are still available / manufactured that when you hear them, it reminds you of iconic cinema moments? Mostly looking for tonal character here, if I was to try to describe it. Not white noise based type sound, if that makes any sense.

Again, I’m familiar with the common usual choices because I own a good handful of them. This is more for options that are more exotic which might not be as well-known, or even practical. Weight and size are not a concern, just unique and cool audio signature.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Kind Regards,
Sfx

Hi All,

My work involves recording and otherwise creating sounds for interactive stuff. I’ve already got a bunch of cans (DA, Surefire, SiCo). However I am looking for perhaps more oddball (but still commercially available) suppressors that have unique tonal characteristics that subjectively sound “cool and different”.

One suppressor (that I don’t have) was present on a MK13 I was recording in Utah, and it had a cool tonal chirp to it that my other cans lack. Are there other choices out there that are still available / manufactured that when you hear them, it reminds you of iconic cinema moments? Mostly looking for tonal character here, if I was to try to describe it. Not white noise based type sound, if that makes any sense.

Again, I’m familiar with the common usual choices because I own a good handful of them. This is more for options that are more exotic which might not be as well-known, or even practical. Weight and size are not a concern, just unique and cool audio signature.

Kind Regards,
Sfx
Contact @AndrewKing from Otter Creek Labs out of Kentucky. His cans sound amazing, and have a unique sound signature.

Another unique sounding suppressor I've found is my Dead Air Nomad-LT (Titanium version of the Nomad-L). It has a very high-pitched "wooshy" sound to it.

A nearly "Hollywood quiet" setup is my custom 1911 converted to .22LR with my Dead Air Mask HD, and using CCI Standard Velocity subsonic ammo, or Aquila SSS (Sniper SubSonic) ammo.

A very unique sounding setup is my custom-built 16" .300 BLK using 220 Subs and my Dead Air Sandman-S suppressors. It has a very deep chunky "thumpy" sound. Very unique to both of my Sandman-S cans, and doesn't sound the same with any other suppressors I've shot on it.

Here's a link to my YT channel. I have numerous videos comparing different suppressors on various rifles and cartridges. They are FAR from professional quality videos or sound recording, but with good headphones they sound MUCH better (and pretty much replicates how they sound in person). If you like what you see/hear, feel free to subscribe for more in the future. I haven't been shooting much lately, as life has been kicking my ass, and I haven't had time. My dad passed a few months ago, and I've been dealing with all his estate and business crap, and it's going to be a long-time before it all finally gets settled for good, but I hope it's sooner, than later.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoundFx
Thanks for that suggestion. That is a really cool system!

I’m thinking what I’m looking for are suppressors with a large volume that could quite possibly be high backpressure as well. So that upon firing the escaping gas is still somewhat pressurized as it exits from the can? Ideally giving an interesting effect almost like a descending fast tone similar to what could be made by a wind instrument played in a funky way.

Not necessarily the quietest things, more of a bit out of the typical but still “signature” character to it. I’m beginning to believe that perhaps what I’m looking for could even be obsolete technology, as if I recall some of the suppressors that exhibited what I’m looking for were older large AAC cans. But I’m not sure.

Reactions: HOOFER
FuhQ,

Your reply is much appreciated as well. I actually have all of the suppressors you listed, and I really like them (both for my work stuff and for personal use). With the exception of the OCL stuff. I have been eyebanging an OCM5, but I don’t have any rifle setups yet that are able to mount the Mk12 compatible cans. I should take another look at their lineup.

You bring up a great point too, though. One of the areas I need to explore more are the more oddball projectiles that make different tonal sounds as they travel. Some of the people I work with have mentioned they have used really “exotic” kinds of less-common commercial ammo with various features, likely meant for extreme expansion, that whistle as they travel and things like that.

FuhQ,

Your reply is much appreciated as well. I actually have all of the suppressors you listed, and I really like them (both for my work stuff and for personal use). With the exception of the OCL stuff. I have been eyebanging an OCM5, but I don’t have any rifle setups yet that are able to mount the Mk12 compatible cans. I should take another look at their lineup.

You bring up a great point too, though. One of the areas I need to explore more are the more oddball projectiles that make different tonal sounds as they travel. Some of the people I work with have mentioned they have used really “exotic” kinds of less-common commercial ammo with various features, likely meant for extreme expansion, that whistle as they travel and things like that.
You should definitely get a few of the OCL cans. Their Hydrogen and Polonium cans sound great. And from what I could tell, the new Lithium 9mm can sounds great, as well. The OCM5 sounds exceptional, as well. I plan to get one of those someday to put on my old LWRC M6A1 in the old USMC Coyote Tan finish. 😏👍🏼

I handload all my ammo (rimfires being the exception, obviously), and have noticed that different bullets do have different sounds. I use the Berry’s 220’s in my .300 BLK. With subsonic loads, I bet different powders make a difference, too.

Look for a Coastal Gun MIMS suppressor. It is 12 inches long, about 1.75 OD, was designed for sub guns.

Another unique sounding suppressor I've found is my Dead Air Nomad-LT (Titanium version of the Nomad-L). It has a very high-pitched "wooshy" sound to it.

Low flow rate (high backpressure) tends to move the peak spectral frequency higher.

A very unique sounding setup is my custom-built 16" .300 BLK using 220 Subs and my Dead Air Sandman-S suppressors. It has a very deep chunky "thumpy" sound. Very unique to both of my Sandman-S cans, and doesn't sound the same with any other suppressors I've shot on it.

High flow rate (low backpressure) tends to move the peak spectral frequency lower.

Just a couple observations from one of the resident pencil-necks.

Always wanted a can that sounded like the one used in the 80’s Equalizer tv show…

Gents,

Thanks for all of the replies on this. Will check out the Brevis and Coastal Gun suggestions. (y)

Hi All,

Kind Regards,
Sfx
So you work in the video game industry or for the FBI/CIA/MIL. Sorry just cynical after the last few years.

In the 308 calibers find the ones with a long flash hider brake they will usually ring and have a distinct sound. It’s not the same with a 556.

The old cyclone suppressor used to be very distinct if you can find one. They were recognizable as a cyclone.

Lastly for you, try wrapping them with different (heat proof) materials it will change the tone.

I have no experience w them (not a lot of knowledge either tbh), but have you looked at flow thru designs like HUXWRX versus trad baffle cans?

Last edited:
Sandman Ti with a 26” barrel and subsonic 308...”PSSSH”

Reactions: Secant
Really appreciate the additional replies.

As for LL’s thoughts on the resonances of the suppressor / mount itself, that’s also a great point that I’m working through. Got an MWS with a Nomad-L (BRT suppressed only gas tube mod) with a Cole Tac cover on it for testing later today, in fact. So the can body and muzzle device ringing sympathetically to the shot is a big part of the sound.

However, what I’m really getting at here specifically I think is the way gas flow creates a fairly distinct “tonal” effect. Kind of similar to the real-world version of the typical artificial “pew” we all know and hate from 80-90’s movies. OSS/Huxwrx flow through designs can and have been helpful for what I’m doing and I’m planning on getting a couple, but the situations where I want those are different (when I want to maintain carrier speed for isolation of mechanical cycling elements). They don’t sound “suppressed enough” in general though. The contrast between suppressed and unsuppressed needs to be fairly wide in order to be interpreted properly by the general public and the flow through options don’t do that well enough despite their other benefits.

So there’s several things that are factors for different reasons, but this particular question is aimed at the tonal gas expulsion “pew” element of it. It’s the almost pneumatic sound that similar to nail gun or other air tools when you disconnect them from the air source, or on other occasions when those tools are being used and you hear that descending high pitch tonal phenomena. “Pewshhhh!”

I have noticed that where the effect has been most pronounced is in the recordings I have and have participated in where it’s typically .300 WM rifles. But that could easily be that they were using the older AAC cans at the time and that this effect isn’t necessarily only associated with higher pressure magnum calibers, but it could be.

Thanks again, guys. Lots of good ideas and I am grateful.

-Sfx

That reminds me - I need to bring the 18" .338LM barrel next time for recording purposes.

Really appreciate the additional replies.

As for LL’s thoughts on the resonances of the suppressor / mount itself, that’s also a great point that I’m working through. Got an MWS with a Nomad-L (BRT suppressed only gas tube mod) with a Cole Tac cover on it for testing later today, in fact. So the can body and muzzle device ringing sympathetically to the shot is a big part of the sound.

However, what I’m really getting at here specifically I think is the way gas flow creates a fairly distinct “tonal” effect. Kind of similar to the real-world version of the typical artificial “pew” we all know and hate from 80-90’s movies. OSS/Huxwrx flow through designs can and have been helpful for what I’m doing and I’m planning on getting a couple, but the situations where I want those are different (when I want to maintain carrier speed for isolation of mechanical cycling elements). They don’t sound “suppressed enough” in general though. The contrast between suppressed and unsuppressed needs to be fairly wide in order to be interpreted properly by the general public and the flow through options don’t do that well enough despite their other benefits.

So there’s several things that are factors for different reasons, but this particular question is aimed at the tonal gas expulsion “pew” element of it. It’s the almost pneumatic sound that similar to nail gun or other air tools when you disconnect them from the air source, or on other occasions when those tools are being used and you hear that descending high pitch tonal phenomena. “Pewshhhh!”

I have noticed that where the effect has been most pronounced is in the recordings I have and have participated in where it’s typically .300 WM rifles. But that could easily be that they were using the older AAC cans at the time and that this effect isn’t necessarily only associated with higher pressure magnum calibers, but it could be.

Thanks again, guys. Lots of good ideas and I am grateful.

-Sfx
Friend has a TBAC Ultra 338 he runs on 300 WM and it sounds like “Pewshhhh!” to me...but I'm 3/4 deaf so there is that haha

Reactions: BurtG and SoundFx
Honestly, it’s a testament to the high quality of people here that it went that long before such a post.

Lone_Soldier, yes! Thank you. Yes, this is the sound I’m chasing. 👍

This whole idea isn’t to make all suppressed weapons sound like this, but to have this option for particular times when it’s needed for (for the naysayer individual). I’m a realism snob for what I work on. As much as I can get away with, anyway. So getting real-world source material is my goal.

Thanks for that great example!

Just to add a bit more clarity on the subject, when you're working on entertainment there's often a struggle between realism and story. I can't tell you how many movies I worked on that I fought tooth and nail unsuccessfully to make some aspect more realistic only to be denied. Sure, there are times when you're working for Michael Bay and he's one of those assholes who says "I don't care if that's more realistic; this looks cool!" but more often than not it's more like "that would be great, but it takes away from the story." For example, on "Flags of Our Fathers" there was a last minute decision to add visual cues for bullets whizzing by in some shots. I had just come off an OIF deployment and told them "hey, trust me - you can't see bullets whiz by in daytime like that" to which I was told "the danger of the scene just isn't reading well enough, so let's put these little hints of bullets flying by." Was it accurate? Nope. Did it make the scene more realistically intense? Definitely.*

* on a side note about "Flags", let me tell you about one of my many personal wins on that project. There's a shot from inside of an F4U Corsair doing a gun & bomb run on a fighting position on the mountain that resulted in an enormous fireball (which was extra difficult to do at the time with CG). Talking to the FX guy doing the explosion, he showed me footage of a Corsair dropping ordinance that generated a huge fireball. "No dude, that's napalm from the Korean War - it should be 20% flame and 80% dirt and dust." It's the tiny victories sometimes.

Here's a unique sounding setup...

Go to the 2:30 mark for an integrally suppressed .50 BMG bolt-action. It sounds crazy.

• Love
Our 50 cal prototype has a pretty sick sound to it.
I'm sure this can will sell well. Don't have any TBAC cans yet myself, but that will change soon. If you have the time and inclination, some outdoor test videos of this when you're ready to share it would be wonderful.
That's how the big bore harvestor sounds
Thanks Huskydriver. Will check this out carefully.

I'm still wondering if part of the equation here are the overall cartridge pressures involved. The specific sound seems to be only occurring in these magnum cartridges, starting with .300 WM and up. At least as far as I can tell.

Also, it could be that this audio signature doesn't meter well for whatever reason and that suppressor manufacturers are designing their products to minimize this type of sound. I would completely understand if that were the case. My subjective desires could easily be at odds with achieving the lowest SPL numbers.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies, Gentlemen.

I'm sure this can will sell well. Don't have any TBAC cans yet myself, but that will change soon. If you have the time and inclination, some outdoor test videos of this when you're ready to share it would be wonderful.

Thanks Huskydriver. Will check this out carefully.

I'm still wondering if part of the equation here are the overall cartridge pressures involved. The specific sound seems to be only occurring in these magnum cartridges, starting with .300 WM and up. At least as far as I can tell.

Also, it could be that this audio signature doesn't meter well for whatever reason and that suppressor manufacturers are designing their products to minimize this type of sound. I would completely understand if that were the case. My subjective desires could easily be at odds with achieving the lowest SPL numbers.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies, Gentlemen.

My big bore sounds like that regardless if it's a 308 or not. I think it's the anchor break

I've found that my Huntertown Arms Guardian gen 2 suppressor on my PPK/s .22lr and using CCI Clean-22 makes a VERY hollywood or video game esque PEW noise (I'm pretty sure the rounds are failing to stabilize and tumbling in the air, though no baffle strikes so far). It only seems to happen with those specific loads and that combo. However it sounds almost exactly like the classic movie pew pew silencer sound, so much so that I still occasionally do it just for a small chuckle.

:oops: Holly Shit! Just when I think i have all the TBC i need then this, and i didnt even know i needed an AI50. Actually the wife said she wanted one so now i have to get it.

• Haha
Reactions: banks74 and Modoc
mic does't capture how cool this thing is

Awkward.jpg

Lol that makes me want a 50.

On another note, maybe try a 419 Maverick?

An EA Vox shooting subs in 300Blk from a Ruger is stupid quiet. NFA review channel on YouTube has a video of it. It’s literally a low tone hiss.