• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Precision” AR accuracy expectations?

How does your Compass Lake shoot and with what kind of loads/ammo?
I've been working through a pile of 69 grain SMK Federal ammo that a buddy that shot for the AMU gave me, 300 yard rapid fire ammo. I hooked up a friend of his that was deploying as a contractor with some 338 Lapua brass and he took care of me.
It shoots 1/2" at 200 yards, I've duplicated that load with Winchester brass, Remington 7-1/2 br primer, Vihtavouri N-140 powder. It will shoot Hornady 75 grain BTHP 3/4" at 200. I never worried about trying anything else. Its a Seekins "Snipers Hide" lower, mega machine upper, JP handguard, CLE Krieger 16" my "ranch rifle"

If you require different technique from your bolt gun to your gas gun, you are driving your bolt gun incorrectly.

Reactions: Newbie2020
When I coach service rifle shooters I find a lot of them steering the rifle with their firing hand. A good check is to slowly release the grip as you watch your sight picture. It should not change. If the sight picture changes, adjust position, the forward elbow, NPA, buttstock placement

Another thing is grip high, and let the trigger finger rest where it wants to be. Forget about trying to shoot with the finger tip pad.

Get behind the gun as much as you could, absorb the recoil as much as straight down the body as you could.

Bang, hold, and reset after recoil keeping an eye on the front post and call your shot. Take note where the rifle settles back. It should be back to your sight picture and just requires slight centering. If the rifle settles back at a different spot after firing, adjust position, buttstock placement, NPA, sling, or forward elbow position.

Helpful! The specifics are great. Esp where the rifle settles after recoil. If its left or right of the target, I was prolly shouldering wrong. (which I often do)

My next question is free recoil (like works with y bolt guns) or sterring / driving the rifle with preload on the bipod and positioning of off hand.