• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 09 Colorado ELK hunt

223nut

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
rocky moutains
I spent 6 days scouting and 9 days hunting.

2nd season unit 54-62-65

I found a big 6x6 in the 350 class scouting
and hunted him 6 of the 9 days. But the camp
next to us bunped him to up the mountain.
I'll get him next year.

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

I finlly got a little 4x5 on the last day

IMG_2193.jpg

The gun I used when hiking less the 2 miles
was a TRG22 with a night force 5.5-22x56 tmr.
shooting 168gr berger VLD's, and 44.7gr varget.

The gun I used for long pack trips was a H-S pro 2000
270wsm with a Leupold tmr 4-14x50 mk4
shooting 150gr berger vld's & 67.5 retumbo.

Here is my lite pack setup.
IMG_2182.jpg

I'm already looking forwerd to next years HUNT!!!

Re: 09 Colorado ELK hunt

Looks like some good hunting. Congratulations on a nice elk.

By the way- I noticed that you use a Badlands backpack. What type- (i.e. 2200, Superday, etc.)? I am looking at getting a Superday or a lighter Hypervent or Ultraday. What are your opinions about these packs for someone who has never used one?

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like some good hunting. Congratulations on a nice elk.

By the way- I noticed that you use a Badlands backpack. What type- (i.e. 2200, Superday, etc.)? I am looking at getting a Superday or a lighter Hypervent or Ultraday. What are your opinions about these packs for someone who has never used one?

thanks</div></div>

HI I thank its a Hypervent
I bought it at sportsmens warehouse
for $120 are so.

This is the best day pack is seen.
Well thought out lite and it has a mesh vent
on the back so you dont sweat as much.

The 2200 is a bit big & heavy for a day pack.

I like to go in as lite as I can
And this is the pack for it.

great pictures i bet that was a blast thaks for your pack i need to learn how to pack lighter good ideas

Ok- do you strap your rifle onto the pack when you're hunting? I noted on Badland's website they claim some of their backpacks can hold rifles, but I have yet to see any real examples/pictures of how they are held on. Any thoughts?

thanks

I bought a blackhawk med size hunting pack its perfict. I put my MK4 bino case on the side of it. its like 1700 inch and worked great. Back in Texas I need a foot locker to go to my stand. Itouch, PSP, Ice chest and if a good football is on...yes my TV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok- do you strap your rifle onto the pack when you're hunting? I noted on Badland's website they claim some of their backpacks can hold rifles, but I have yet to see any real examples/pictures of how they are held on. Any thoughts?

thanks</div></div>

HI Jay.

I just carry my HS in my hands or sling it.
It is 6 lbs loaded.

for a lite gun pack I would look at this one
http://www.eberlestock.com/H1%20Mini-Me.htm

I have the Eberlestock G3 Phantom for caring my trg22.
http://www.eberlestock.com/Phantom%20Backpack.htm
This is the best gun pack i'v seen.

Great pics! Good job on the bull.

Jayman - I used a Badlands 2200 for my mule deer hunt this year. I can send you a pic. Not savy on how to post one on the forum.

Stickboy- does your picture include the rifle mounted onto your pack? I'd like to see how that works.

To send an image, hit the 'reply' button and in the ensuing window select the 4th icon from the left (if you hold your mouse over it it's titled 'Enter an image').

thanks

Roach - I'd say you did pretty well. Pack hunting is not easy, especially packing out game. Pics looks like great country.