• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper’s Hide Cup 09 Shooters Bash

SFC Carpentier jr

Minuteman
May 14, 2002
Corpus Christi TX
www.angelfire.com
Just got back to motel. We shot a total of 11 events today. Two of the events were at night. There was a total of 60 shooters signed up and about 58 are on the ground here. The match is going well. Here are a few photos.

Sb20.JPG

Sb21.JPG

Sb22.JPG

Sb23.JPG

Re: 09 Shooters Bash

OK the 09 Shooters Bash is in the books. A big THANK YOU goes out to Jacob, Frank, the two Lisa's, Lindy, Winn, Miles and everyone else that made sure the match ran smoothly and kept us all safe.

For those of you that did not make it to this match, you missed out on a GREAT prize table. There was a lot of GREAT items on the table. The sponsors this year gave some nice prizes. Two rifles were raffled off. THANKS to all the sponsors. Also make sure and drop eveyone a line that donated something. The links for the sponsors are on the RiflesOnly website.

Today was moving day for many shooters. There was a lot of points up for grabs. One event had almost 600 points. We did a cold bore at 1000 yards, a run and gun and quite a few other events. All an all a GREAT match. Here are a few photos.

Sb10.JPG

Sb11.JPG

Sb12.JPG

Sb13.JPG

Sb14.JPG

Sb15.JPG

Sb16.JPG

Just a quick note before we head back out to the range this morning. I'm not sure if the RO website it completely updated on the sponsors. I sent our webguy all the info yesterday morning for all the stuff that came in at the last minute. If you were a sponsor and did not see your name on the list please PM me so I can make sure you get on the list. It hopefully will be updated before the day is over.
My "official" thank you will be posted later I just want make sure I put that out there before we get the day going!
I think it is going to take a week to recover :)!
More later!

Any results!! Since i am not sunning my balls on the beach here in Cancun since we are in the middle of a damn Hurricane WTF thats what i get for taking the wife on a damn vacation.

I'll have Lisa Sisk email the sheet,

1st Terry Cross
2nd Tim Long
3rd Pedro Garcia <span style="font-style: italic">(shooting a borrowed 308 using 168gr FGMM)</span>

More to follow...

TY LL I will be waiting to get more 411

Off to get another drink!!

Here is the top 36 out of 56:

2009 Sniper's Hide Cup

Pct of Pts
16 Terry Cross 1665 1 64%
45 Tim Long 1645 2 63%
35 Pedro Garcia 1545 3 59%
33 Patrick Garcia 1455 4 56%
46 John Sommers 1420 5 55%
48 Rich Emmons 1420 5 55%
21 Kevin Drake 1410 7 54%
23 Chad Haworth 1410 7 54%
17 Stan Owens 1395 9 54%
3 Kevin Worrell 1360 10 52%
53 Kevin Elpers 1285 11 49%
14 Tony Burkes 1220 12 47%
20 Chris Wooten 1195 13 46%
28 Todd Liggett 1180 14 45%
51 Jeff Badley 1145 15 44%
49 Danel Jenkins 1140 16 44%
32 Bill Fowler 1135 17 44%
47 Bruce Gordon 1130 18 43%
12 Nathan Hunt 1070 19 41%
55 Les Strickland 1030 20 40%
37 Chance Durbin 1005 21 39%
42 Dearl Allen 1005 21 39%
38 Jason Lu 995 23 38%
52 Chase Tresler 995 23 38%
43 Keith-Allen Taylor 980 25 38%
50 Jim Brown 980 25 38%
22 Jay Ruby 950 27 37%
6 Sean Hardy 925 28 36%
7 Brent Tatford 910 29 35%
18 Jacob Gottfredson 905 30 35%

It was Fucking-A, man! Love shooting at RO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DSMcG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, did Terry attend the train up?

DSMcG</div></div>

No he did not...

Neither did:

Tim, Patrick, Rich, John, Kevin D, Kevin E, Chad, or Tony B.

Excellent match, with a wide variety of skill sets, I know what I need to work on now. Thanks to everybody at RO. My favorite stage(s) were the run and gun stages.

Congrats to Terry, Tim, Garcia's, John, Chad, Kevin and other top finishers, once again it comes down to hitting your target when it's all on the line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll have Lisa Sisk email the sheet,

1st Terry Cross
2nd Tim Long
<span style="font-weight: bold">3rd Pedro Garcia <span style="font-style: italic">(shooting a borrowed 308 using 168gr FGMM)</span> ---</span> <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-style: italic">This rocks BTW...</span></span>

More to follow... </div></div>

Any breakdown on everyones caliber preferences?

Thanks. I too hope to get down there again. Congrats to Terry and all those attending.

DSMcG

This was a great Bash. One of my favorites by far. Big thanks to the folks at Rifle's Only for a great match. The prize table was insane...easily rivaling the Cup's usual greatness. Another big thanks to Chance and Doc Brent who drove me back and forth from the airport...much appreciated gent's.

Nice shooting Terry...again. Tim, well done...another great match from a fierce competitor. The Garcia brother's...great shooting gent's...for real...I'm going to pretend you guy's weren't running .308's...you should think about maybe switching out to something faster with a better BC...and keep the barrel short...LOL.

This was a great course of fire and I felt like I had a great chance to win...I just need to show up for the second day of the match...argh!

As always it's great to hang out with old friends like Pete C and Tony B(it was great to see your Dad again as well), Jacob G, Jeff B, Terry C, Stan O, Nathan, Charlie, and Pete and Jason G...it's a real honor and priviledge to be in the company of such great professionals.

I'd also like to thank our Doc's that show up and keep us mostly pain free...from aspirin to butterfly bandage's...thank you gentlemen.

To our military guy's that were there...please be safe.

Look forward to seeing you guy's in March at the Cup.

Be safe, Shoot well

KJ Drake

Congratulations to the top finishers! You certainly deserve the recognition and whatever bad ass item you pick off the table. The prize/raffle table was just loaded with good shit made possible by some very generous sponsors that I have and will do business with. A big thank you for the sponsors.

This was one of the most challenging matches I have attended with a great group of people. I had an awesome time, learned a ton, and revealed many aspects of shooting I need to work on. Thanks for the experience and opportunity to shoot The Bash at Rifles Only.

Jason C

Once again an outstanding event, great shooters, outstanding people period. The RO Staff pulled off another successful story!!!

It was great to have our military there competing!! And they were lights out!!

I do however have a suggestion for the Cup!! I think Terry should donate a Sentinel for the prize table. That way he can just win it and then sell it to me!!! lol

Terry I'll make recommendations on the caliber too!!!

Ok, before I get knee-deep in catching up on work I figured I better make my post!
I can't thank every one enough for a SAFE match. I can't thank everyone enough for coming down to RO! I can't thank everyone enough for all the laughs and smiles!!!!! This is why I love the competitions. Everyone that comes down makes all the work we have done to get things going worth while. By the time the competition starts I am usually exhausted but it is all forgotten when everyone shows up.
To all the sponsors: THANK YOU!!! The prize table was the best yet and it was unbelievable. From the small donations to the large ones, we will do everything we can to support your company!
To the RO Crew: I can't think of better people to work with!
Jacob Gottfredson (the love of my life): I can't believe I drew your name on the .338. What a great birthday present and what a great prize to keep you butt coming to these comps! They would not be the same without you so you can not retire from the matches. As long as you are still walking you can't skip out!
Kevin Drake: Thanks for firing me....I wish ;-)!
Seriously, thank you everyone! Once you are here you are family!
To our 2 military competitors: When we found out you were coming I was so excited for you to experience this. It was great to have you on site again and anything we can do for you, you know we are there for you! Love you guys, be safe, and we will see you SOON!

Ok, time to get back to it! Again, thanks again everyone! As always, if there is anything I can do for you just let me know.

Many Smiles,
Lisa

What a F'n Match! Congratulations to all that finished above me, wait that was everyone.

Rifle's Only you put on one helluva show thanks to all.
To the RO's: outstand job!

Rich Emmons, I'm blaming you and your buddy "Captain Morgan" for my falling apart Saturday, I really don't have anyone else to blame so you get the honors.

To all the sponsors, THANK YOU!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any breakdown on everyones caliber preferences?</div></div>

We don't keep records of what people were shooting. Jacob Gottfredson sometimes gathers that information, but I'm not sure that he did this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any breakdown on everyones caliber preferences? </div></div>
lots of 6.5's in 260 Rem, atleast one 6.5 Creedmore, a couple 243's, several 300WM's, at least 2 6XC's, a few WSM, and quite a few 308's. On a match like this, caliber is not the main factor.

I thought KJ would've been shooting his new .30 cal. Were BOTH the brothers in the top 3 using .308's?

For you guys using the 30 cals what bullet are you guys using?

Strickland, gotchya 190smk. Have you thought about trying the .208 Amax?

The thing with the match, we divide the targets, ranges and stages so, hopefully, no one caliber will have an advantage, you can lose points at 1000 yards and make them up at 100, you can gain points at 1000 and make them up else where, so caliber is not as much a factor as you think... although I think the bigger calibers hurt some close in, and I personally feel the long, 28" plus barrels hurt some during the run and gun stages.

I know Pete (Pedro) was using a borrowed rifle he never shot until that week, and he was using factory 168gr FGMM, I don't know anything about what Patrick was using ?

The thing is, stuff that bit people, not practicing how to load their rifles, at least half the field caused a malfunction of their boltgun at least once during the weekend. Next, being able to effectively sling your rifle, people struggled with slinging their weapons while still being able to move and engage targets with their handgun, and finally, alternative positions, not assessing the position or knowing which position they were going to use, as well as not practicing to shoot support side. I saw a lot of people get into one position, only opting to move and change because it wasn't stable enough. You have to practice loading, slinging, and shooting from alternate positions and support side.

if you know your dope, and can both hold it and dial it with equal efficiency you won't have a problem regardless of the caliber you shoot. Everything was shot with a 308 prior to the match, we don't use wind cheaters to flush out the course of fire, we shoot everything with a 308, factory 175gr stuff.

Consistency wins the day, Terry Cross didn't win this match until the last event, which he cleaned... 3/4" dots at 100 yards - the SH Dot Drill. That alone is 500 points, he won by 20 pts with 64% if that tells you anything.

Sounds like you guys put a lot into laying out the competition.

I hope to drag my 30-06 down there as soon as it is possible.

I hope to make the match in the spring.
Congratulations to RO for a safe match and congrats to Terry and the other competitors.

L.

Hands down, the best part of the match, was when Jacob and the Rifles Only guys presented the Military guys with their awards. The round of applause everyone gave made my eyes water. Good Stuff.

The second best part of the match was when Jacob sent the call to bring out the "Yeti".

Frank, Jacob, Lindy, Lisa, Lisa and all the other staff at RO: Thank you so much for an incredible learning experience, fun beyond words and facilitating new friendships and strengthening existing ones. I sincerely can't thank you enough for everything including, without limitation, your generosity keeping us all safe, providing exceptional instruction during the train-up, the tremendous amount of work and planning and making it all a hell of a fun time. You can tell how much planning and work went into this, there was little to no down time (my old ass was happy whenever there was a few minutes).

Todd, Lance, Kevin, Chris, Jon, Charlie, both Docs it was honor spending time with all of you (you guys are the definition of the good guys).

The military folks, all of our prayers, appreciation and hopes are with you everyday. God bless.

Congrats to all shooters, everyone walked away a winner. Riffles Only and Snipers Hide, absolutely the best!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down, the best part of the match, was when Jacob and the Rifles Only guys presented the Military guys with their awards. The round of applause everyone gave made my eyes water. Good Stuff. </div></div>
Yes!! When I saw his mom crying, it was hard to hold the emotions back.
A little back ground- the 2 solders were back from Afganastan and asked to compete in the competiton. One of themlived not far away, and his family came to watch him compete. They both walked away with prizes, and one with a new custom AR!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down, the best part of the match, was when Jacob and the Rifles Only guys presented the Military guys with their awards. The round of applause everyone gave made my eyes water. Good Stuff. </div></div>
A little back ground- the 2 solders were back from Afganastan and asked to compete in the competiton. One of themlived not far away, and his family came to watch him compete. They both walked away with prizes, and one with a new custom AR! </div></div>

Thats great stuff. Glad to hear it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down, the best part of the match, was when Jacob and the Rifles Only guys presented the Military guys with their awards. The round of applause everyone gave made my eyes water. Good Stuff. </div></div>
A little back ground- the 2 solders were back from Afganastan and asked to compete in the competiton. One of themlived not far away, and his family came to watch him compete. They both walked away with prizes, and one with a new custom AR! </div></div>

Thats great stuff. Glad to hear it. </div></div>

That's awesome...

His mother wasn't the only one who had something in their eyes. It wasn't just the smoke from the barbecue pit, either.

Although the barbecue was great...

As I write this, I have T44 Pegasus aircraft from NAS Corpus Christi overhead - and not very damn far overhead, about 175 feet - shooting touch-and-goes at the Rockport airport. It's the sound of freedom, even if it does sound like they're about to touch down on the roof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know Pete (Pedro) was using a borrowed rifle he never shot until that week, and he was using factory 168gr FGMM, I don't know anything about what Patrick was using ?
</div></div>

Now that I have had time to decompress from the match(I am currently posting this from a motel since I am currently out of town)I would like to chime in. I know Patrick and I had a chance to talk to him on our last event and he told me he was shooting a 308. It was a Terry Cross rifle and he had just recieved two barrels in 260 from Terry. He said he did not have a load worked up for the 260 so that is why he was shooting the 308. He did not even know his dope for the 1000 yards. I told him what he needed and he said he might have been high on the 1000 yard cold bore. Both of those guys shot well. I am sure he was shoting 175 grn sierras. That is what I know.

I hope everyone has been sending out THANK you emails to the companies that donated the prizes for the pirze table. Yesterday I started sending mine out and I started to get some responses. You shooters need to make this happen.

On another note, it is always GREAT to shoot these matches because you get to see old friends and make new ones. I spent time talking to one shooter that I have shot with at some of the matches and it was just GREAT to talk to someone that enjoying doing something that you also like to do.

I also met someone, if you can believe this, that did not know who Captian Kick Ass was. After he met him I am sure he will not forget who he is.

Those guys are RO alumni, we have worked with their unit before and as stated, they asked if they could come to competition and the unit allowed it.

Chris won the APA Custom AR15 as well we included the 3-9X Super Sniper from SWFA and I added some Talley Tactical Rings I had, Nick won the second Super Sniper from SWFA the 10X HD. They really deserved it, on the last day of the train up, Chris' Mk13 broke the rear trigger pin, and the bolt was acting up, a trigger pin alone wouldn't fix it, so we threw our 300WM barreled action into his stock and put his NF on it. Zero prep and he gets a Top 15, almost Top 10, and Nick, knowing his rifle was on the edge, had to fight a shot out barrel that just went further & further south on him, so they did fantastic even though they have never shot a competition of this kind before.

These guys are tip of the spear doing this stuff for real, and several of the events were based off their AARs, like the 35 yard snap shot.

The unsung heroes here, the sponsors of the match all who really stepped up and allowed us to have these great prizes. SWFA not only sent two Super Sniper scopes for the table, every single competitor got a gift certificate worth $150 off a Super Sniper scope, they provided $10,000 worth of prizes to the match. The rifle was a full blown custom AR15 from Jered Joplin and the guys at APA, so not only did we have a custom fully dressed Nighthawk Tactical Rifle, we had the TRG-42 in 338LM from Alex Roy at Euro Optics and we had a MSAR 5.56 AUG clone from a first time competitor Morey Butler... none of this counting the certificates for pretty close to full rifles from guys like Iron Ridge, or the 4 AR lowers, AR upper from Scott Milkovich, so the prize table was stocked. I know guys in the mid 20's of the pack walked away with $1000 certificates from Nathan Hunt at HUDisco, so you can see where this is going. The table was worth well over $50,000 in prizes.

In my official "Thank you" post I will do a better job of describing the table... needless to say, these companies stepped up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought KJ would've been shooting his new .30 cal. Were BOTH the brothers in the top 3 using .308's?

For you guys using the 30 cals what bullet are you guys using?

Strickland, gotchya 190smk. Have you thought about trying the .208 Amax?</div></div>

I had a fast load worked up that was pushing a 168 AMAX at 3200...unfortunately I did not have any WSM magazines to run.

Barrel length wasn't an issue for me...the bus was an easy shot...both gettin in, moving through, and shooting it. You just have to use the right dope...LOL.

To be honest...I probably could have used my AR Service Rifle upper scoped. Only 300 points were 800 yards or further verse 700 points at 100 yds or less. Thing is you never know what the course of fire is or what the wind will be like so you have to bring more than you need or roll the dice...or apparently you can borrrow a 308 and fair well.

I believe it's better to have and not need than to need and not have...I'm not sure about the whole under 20" barrel thing but I am believing in the gas gun concept more and more. Did someone say a "gas gun only" match...

Not to make too big a deal about it, but Rifles Only does not primarily exist for the purpose of training civilian shooters, although the staff loves to do that, too.

Rifles Only mostly trains military and L.E. personnel. The entirety of the client list is not known to the public, although those who've been in the bunkhouse have seen donated artifacts from <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> of those units.

The feedback from those clients show up both in the match course design and the training offered. Those who've been to a Rifles Only match or training course, whether they are military, L.E., or civilian, benefit from the experience of the clients.

And it works both ways. Many innovations now in use by military and L.E. shooters came originally from the civilian shooting community.

Both communities have individuals who are passionate about excellence in the application of firearms. Everybody wins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people have greatness thrust upon them. Few have excellence thrust upon them.... They achieve it. They do not achieve it unwittingly by doing what comes naturally and they don't stumble into it in the course of amusing themselves. All excellence involves discipline and tenacity of purpose. - John William Gardner, 1912 - 2002</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to make too big a deal about it, but Rifles Only does not primarily exist for the purpose of training civilian shooters, although the staff loves to do that, too.

Rifles Only mostly trains military and L.E. personnel. The entirety of the client list is not known to the public, although those who've been in the bunkhouse have seen donated artifacts from <span style="font-style: italic">some</span> of those units.

The feedback from those clients show up both in the match course design and the training offered. Those who've been to a Rifles Only match or training course, whether they are military, L.E., or civilian, benefit from the experience of the clients.

And it works both ways. Many innovations now in use by military and L.E. shooters came originally from the civilian shooting community.

Both communities have individuals who are passionate about excellence in the application of firearms. Everybody wins.
</div></div>

which is why I do everything I can to make it down there to shoot...and of course for the brisket.

155gr Lapua's

I wish I could remember verbatem what one of the Military guys said when he won the SS glass but it was an instant classic. It was an honor to have both of those guys out there.