• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1,000 Yard Upstate South Carolina Range-WOW!

BangitammoNick

Private
Minuteman
So, this is my third post on this forum which I recently discovered. I wanted to share an awesome experience I had this morning.

I had heard a rumor there was a 1,000 yard range in the upstate somewhere near me but I was not able to track it down. I finally ran into
someone who knows one of the owners and was able to get in touch with him. They invited me out to shoot and it was truly awesome!

The range is fairly new and has a ton of shorter range bays for pistol and for rifles.

At the end of my tour, we went up a steep incline onto a little ridge where they have a ground based platform.
We got out of the truck and rounded the corner to see the incredible view below.

Honestly, it was pretty amazing. Directly in front of the range platform was a deep gulley followed by
several hill tops. At each hilltop was a group of steel targets at 100, 150, 200, 400, 600, 800 and 1,000.
It was early in the morning and the sun was still blocked by the trees behind us was it was nice and cool.

I spent the next two hours with another fellow who rolled in, blasting away with my 700, .308.

It was one of the best days of shooting I have had in long time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...951.1073741830.113154928873651&type=1&theater

Once you shoot at those distances, you really have a lot of respect for guys who can hit 1,000 on a regular basis.

Anyways, neat stuff I thought I would share.

NICK

That sounds very interesting. Upstate SC is definitely within driving range for me. By all means, please do add the specifics for this range (name, location, contact info, web site, etc.) to the Ranges Longer than 500 yards thread in this same ELR - Beyond 1000 Yards section. That way we might actually benefit from your information. Thanks.

Thanks so much SCOTG/Bo ! South Carolina Official Training Grounds looks like an excellent new facility. Great to know about.

Is it possible for non-members to shoot the 1000 yard range for a day/half-day? You are probably too far for me to consider a membership, but not too far to visit and shoot occasionally. Thanks again.

We can offer up to 2 day passes a year for a none member but that is all the wiggle room there is. Due to federal regulations, all regular shooters must be members with verified backgrounds in order to be able to utilize a military grade facility, which is what SCOTG is. Sorry for the bad news!

You got a link to those Federal Regulations? I've seriously never heard that one before.....and would suspect ALOT of ranges I've been to aren't in compliance....

About an hour further than Butner from me but seems like a nice range, good to know.

regular ranges do not have the same regulations as a military grade training facility. Whenever you are in the business you will be exposed to further antiterrorism measures implemented by both the federal government and insurance companies that won't touch your business if you aren't in compliance.

Got a link to the regulations?

I just bought a used vietnam era cobra attack helicopter, came with 6 hellfire rockets(reloads but not complainin). I'm sooooooo excited i found a military grade range i can fire this thing at, its about time, THANK YOU!!!!!!

South Carolina Official Training Grounds is truly remarkable. This place isnt just a big long field that you can shoot a target at 1k, it has terrain and dead space that can really test you with mother nature. Just joined, never seen anything like this place before!

T

Made the trip up to SCOTG yesterday and I would say anyone thinking about going and checking it out won't be wasting their time. It is a very nice place with some very nice people. If you're looking for a place to get in some practice shooting at distance it has plenty of full size IPSC targets from 200-1000 yards.

We heard sketchy rumors of black helos coming in and mall ninjas fast roping into the pistol bays but none were seen during our visit....we had he place all to ourselves. I did see a few pieces of Hellfire missile brass scattered around the property which to me proves that VJJ himself has surely made the trip to SCOTG...

Christ, here we go again. I bet you have military-only restricted super accurate .408 CheyTacs, too, right?

Such bullshit. I shoot 1k on a real military range all the time, and the rigorous background check consists of showing them my driver's license.

Christ, here we go again. I bet you have military-only restricted super accurate .408 CheyTacs, too, right?

Such bullshit. I shoot 1k on a real military range all the time, and the rigorous background check consists of showing them my driver's license.

I know! I shot a match at stone bay (camp LeJeune) and even stayed in the barracks on the range, and all they wanted was to see my DL. At Butner, another 1k military range, I don't even have to show them the DL. Anyways, I'm glad they're there as it's only an hr away from me. I'm kind of worried about the Velcro ninja crowd, conspiracy theorists, etc. I hate listening to those fools, and don't much care to deal with them. What can I say, I like guns and shooting, but hate "gun culture."
Either way, I'm going to drive down and check them out soon.

That sounds great but it is still a 3.5 hour drive for me. I hope to stop by next time I'm in the area. Someone is trying to get a 1500 yard range and shooting complex here in Horry County, SC. They have a facebook page trying to gain support. If you do support it, please "like" the page: Horry County Range Complex. I hope this project gets moving.

The name Changed to " The saw mill" Acted like they where closed to the public for a while... but had some classes....

I emailed them several months ago asking for info, and they eventually responded saying they were not open to the public.

Interesting. I'm not sure who exactly they're training given their proximity to Ft. Jackson. I took a pistol course there c. 2016 and it was a well maintained range.

If you're looking for 1k close-by, check out The Clinton House (also in Laurens County). Membership info is on their website, and signups for the range are in 2hr blocks and can be reserved online.

The Clinton House has 1k with steel and once a month they have 1 mile day.

They probably were contracted for more military training, some units need to go somewhere new because they’ve used the same facilities for years.

Units with money will travel by land, sea or, air to the new training grounds. Having random folks around increases opsec risks and exposure to training accidents.

They had to build the full size Bin Laden complex somewhere.

This site was supposedly used by a government contractor that trained UAS operators.

Yeah saw the prices, absolutely obsurb! $100 to use 1000yd for a day? Better place Ellerby NC called Coleman creek( approx. 2hrs from where I live near Myrtle Beach SC) $60 for the Month has 800, 1000, 1200 & 1 mile range, plus alot more