• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1:11 Twist rate??

Whit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Ohio
I am having my Sako Rebarreled to a 260 Rem. I am keeping the factory barrel and thought about putting it on my Tikka and rethreading it and changing the caliber. I am wanting to use it for Varmint hunting. What cartridge would be best for a 1:11" twist?

Re: 1:11 Twist rate??

Does any one know anything about the 20 Tactical?

I have a Tikka made by Sako, you probably have the same brand, or not. I have No problems with the 1:11 twist though I wish it was a 1:10. From what I understand Sako makes most of there tac. guns with the 1:11 twist. Also, if you didn't know the length of your bullet NOT weight should be the primary factor when picking what bullet to shoot. Though there is no doubt a coralation between the two(weight and length). Glenn Daughtry and Brandon Webb(former Navy Seals) have a great book out entitled 21st Century Sniper. It's a good read...

The barrel will be off a Sako. I am wanting to re chamber it and have it put on a Tikka (made by Sako), which has a .223 bolt face.

So I am looking for a caliber that likes a 1:11 twist and uses a .223 bolt face for varmint hunting.

11 twist in 223 sounds perfect to me. Varminting with 50 gr. ballistic tips @ 3200-3400 should keep you busy.

Will that be a good twist for a 22-250? I noticed a lot of 22-250 are 1:14 but just want to check.

I like the 223 but already have 2 and wanting to try something different. I can always just stick with it If I decide to.

I do not shoot 22-250. For me that would be a stop gap I don't need. Lots of varminters like that round though. I currently do not have a 'big' 12 twist and miss having one. A 26" 12 twist sendero profile is in my future.

I was looking at a 20 Tactical round. It uses a 223 bolt face and launches 40gr V-max at 3575fps (223 rem 40gr ballistic tip launches at 3400fps). It uses a 223 rem brass necked down to a 20 cal. But have not heard of anyone using the 20 Tac round before.