• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1-4 for my ar-15

Re: 1-4 for my ar-15

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you have any experience with the Burris XTR 1-4 to compare? </div></div>

Not the 1-4 but if it has the reticle I think it does I'd pass. That's just me though, if you like that reticle and want something in that price range I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Why wait? Why not wait? If it turns out to be good then it was worth it, if not then all the other options will still be on the table.

edit: yeah I have used the XTR but not the Tac30 1-4, I thought the XTR was neat but a bit overpriced. A friend of mine has one, I think he paid 900 for it in a mount with a red dot on top. Just seemed like a lot to me for what it was.</div></div>

I found the XTR 1-4 for 600 new. I was wondering, did it seem to have a nice large picture from edge to edge, and was the glass very nice and clear? all the through the scope pics i see it looks very nice and clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you have any experience with the Burris XTR 1-4 to compare? </div></div>

Not the 1-4 but if it has the reticle I think it does I'd pass. That's just me though, if you like that reticle and want something in that price range I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Why wait? Why not wait? If it turns out to be good then it was worth it, if not then all the other options will still be on the table.

edit: yeah I have used the XTR but not the Tac30 1-4, I thought the XTR was neat but a bit overpriced. A friend of mine has one, I think he paid 900 for it in a mount with a red dot on top. Just seemed like a lot to me for what it was.</div></div>

I found the XTR 1-4 for 600 new. I was wondering, did it seem to have a nice large picture from edge to edge, and was the glass very nice and clear? all the through the scope pics i see it looks very nice and clear. </div></div>

Got Burris XTR 1-4 in AR15, and I dont really find it too good scope.

Firstly, reticle dimensions aren't valid when magnification 1x bottoms. It has to be little over. Say, 1.05-1.1x if compared to markings. This matters in long ranges.
Secondly, ocular feels like Chinese junk scope when adjusting magnification.
Also mechanically its -70´s design, whole ocular rotates when zooming. As result, flip-up covers doesn't work if BUIS is underneath scope. Cover touches BUIS and blocks usable magnification in low -or high end. Using with Butlers, LaRue mount and Matech.

I agree...my CMR arrived last week and I was very surprised at the glass quality for an inexpensive optic. I went with the CMR over the Tac 30 because the CMR is calibrated for .223 and 308 using 168gr bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiTechTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think enough people give the Leatherwood enough credit. It tracks, it has a zero stop, BDC reticle, and it is illuminated. It is by no means comparable to a Nightforce or US Optics or any high dollar scope, but I would put it up against the Vortex Viper and SS 1-4 any day.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiTechTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think enough people give the Leatherwood enough credit. It tracks, it has a zero stop, BDC reticle, and it is illuminated. It is by no means comparable to a Nightforce or US Optics or any high dollar scope, but I would put it up against the Vortex Viper and SS 1-4 any day.</div></div>

I think your giving the Leatherwood too much credit against the SS 1-4. The SS 1-4 HD is in the Nightforce, Vortex Razor end of the scope spectrum. I've used them and the glass is extremely good.

My neighbor bought a CMR online, he hasn't gotten it yet though. That's one scope I've been wondering about, the online description makes it sound decent for the price.

The reason I say wait for the PST is the reticle, most 1-4's I've looked through for under 1k have shit reticles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I found the XTR 1-4 for 600 new. I was wondering, did it seem to have a nice large picture from edge to edge, and was the glass very nice and clear? all the through the scope pics i see it looks very nice and clear. </div></div>

I didn't think it was any better than the fullfield 2 I had awhile back.

The IOR 1-4's that are on samplelist for 700 have better glass and reticles. The only problem with them is that the one I saw the horseshoe part of the reticle didn't light up. Maybe they've changed them but that made it kind of suck at 1x.

If you look at the PST reticle and the Super Sniper reticles you'll notice that at a good portion of the reticle lights up, and both have a design which (looks like) it will be very noticeable at 1X.

Having played with a prototype SS1-4X, I disagree on the "no need for FFP in a 1-4X." I like the fact that the outer circle is visible at 1X but not at 4X. I like the fineness of the aiming point at 4X and the courseness of the aiming point at 1X.

Maybe I'm alone in that.

I have yet to use a 1-4X PST or the Razor 1-4X.

There's also the Premier 1.1-8X, interested to see that as well.

Rancid... you're not alone with the FFP thoughts. After playing with the SS 1-4s I totally agree with you. Theoretically (prior to playing with the scopes) I don't know if I'd have had the same opinion... but it really works with the FFP!

This makes three posts in a row of people who have tried the SWFA SS 1-4 HD with the FFP feature who are impressed with how well it works. Switching from "red dot" functionality to a precision mildot reticle via magnification settings is just to new to be fully appreciated. It is revolutionary and will have an impact.

Trijicon tr24g or 21g.........or the Viper PST 1-4 would be tough to beat if Vortex delivers like they have with some of their other scopes.

SSniper seems to have a lot of people talkin as well.

I am very happy with my Triji's, and may add a PST as well, when they get here.

Don't get me wrong, other than the choice in reticle there is nothing wrong with a FFP 1-4X, the Super Sniper is not the first to do it, with a Flash Dot either. Heck S&B for one does it, there were others before as well. The Horus Talon did it with a ghost ring inside also.

But it's not necessary, nor do I see any real advantage to it, the fine reticle is still inside the Vortex, as well you have a More than illuminated dot. NF gets high marks for their SFP 1-4X optics from me and they offer choices in reticles.

With a throw lever what is the difference between using a SFP at 1X or throwing the lever to 4X and using the Mils reticle ? It's the same because the holds are not visible at other powers. You can realistically map the holds on a SFP reticle and use it in a pinch even at 1X, especially if speed was a factor. Even use it to spot impacts and then hold where you see where in a FFP you can' t use the reticle at all. Too small for anything but a flash dot.

Pros and Cons to each, but certainly one doesn't overly outweigh the other, especially when it comes down to training and not Hardware.

I agree, either can work well and different people will naturally have different preferences. It's nice to see we're going to have so many new choices in the coming year. Whatever a guy prefers, he'll now have more choices.

Anyway, the way I see it on the FFP/SFP question, the biggest difference is with a SFP if you have something "big" to aim with on 1X, (circle, horseshoe, etc) they're going to only be in the 5-10 Mil diameter range on 4X. Some may feel this clutters/covers, etc, the target area on 4X. With FFP a circle that looks the same on 1X pulls back on 4X (in the case of the SS being 30 Mils diameter) to give a completely open view of the target area.

The Burris reticle above gives a good graphic example--the 600 yd hold point is actually <span style="font-weight: bold">on</span> the circle. If the circle was 30 Mils it'd be nowhere near the target. If you wanted to dial instead, the big dot in the middle (helpful for speed on 1X) will completely cover any target at longer ranges.

That may not be a big deal to some, it might to others. Most people I think should try and put as many scopes side by side and see what they like best in actual use--as I said before not just for the reticle but for the optics.

It looks like Vortex handled this much better with the splits in the circle on the PST. I'm anxious to check one out.

Reticles can be done well or poorly either way. With a well done reticle in either flavor you should be able to get the job done, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. One kind may agree with some people better, the other may work for others better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having played with a prototype SS1-4X, I disagree on the "no need for FFP in a 1-4X." I like the fact that the outer circle is visible at 1X but not at 4X. I like the fineness of the aiming point at 4X and the courseness of the aiming point at 1X.

Maybe I'm alone in that.

I have yet to use a 1-4X PST or the Razor 1-4X.

There's also the Premier 1.1-8X, interested to see that as well. </div></div>
I have not seen the PST but I have used the Razor and think it is one tough scope with much to be desired but I agree with Frank that a FFP is not needed on a 1-4x they both have a place but I personally like the SFP on such scopes and Don't know what to think of the SS 1-4x reticle, will have to spend some time behind it to know whether or not I like it but from what I have seen Vortex has the win.