• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 1-6x Questions: VX-6 and Razor

gunsandgear

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
I own a VX-6 1-6x (Green Firedot BDC reticle) as well as a Razor 1-6x (JM-1 reticle) and can't decide which optic to keep, or at least use for 3-gun. I know the Razor is supposed to be the superior optic here but I have just been unimpressed by it lately. Compared to the VX-6, the Razor is incredibly heavy, and the 1x on the Leupold seems superior to my eye which really has me puzzled. The VX-6 appears to have less of a fish-eye effect at 1x. Also, 1x on the Leupold would be the more useable of the two if the dot were brighter. The VX-6 really comes up short in its inability to go "nuclear" daylight bright like the Razor and it does have a slightly less forgiving (but still extremely useable) eye box.

I want to sell the Razor but I'm reluctant to. At one point I thought it was the most amazing LPVO I had seen and the next thing I know a $700ish used VX-6 is making re-evaluate LPVO options altogether. The Razor is so damn heavy and the 1x view seems too far from a true 1x at closer distances.

Anybody else have a similar experience with LPVOs? What did you end up with? I've never been able to check out a Swarovski 1-6x in person and now I'm really curious what its 1x looks like so any comparisons are welcome.

Last edited:
Which reticle in the VX6?
I have one of the 'original' VX6 Multigun Firedot 'SPR' reticles and I've yet to have the dot wash out.
Have used Razors - still have the Leupold on my 3gun rifle. Nothing wrong w/the Razor - it's nice and probably 50% or more of the 3 gunners are running one.
Have looked through a Swaro z6i or whatever the $$ model is on a friend's rifle. It's also nice, but hasn't compelled me to lose the Leupold there, either.

As mine is the non HD variant, I'm sure both the Vortex and the Swaro have better glass, but it wasn't night and day, even moreso at the typical 3gun ranges I'm shooting at (CQB to a bit over 300yards), whereas I'd expect it to be a different story on e.g. a longer range .308, 6.5, ..

I also have a Minox ZP8 which is nice, and I may consider swapping out on the 3gun rifle at some point to see if the FFP and extra mag does anything 'real' for me in matches or not, but I do like the VX6 (1-6x anyways).

Updated reticle info: Green Firedot BDC in VX-6, JM-1 in Razor.

If Leupold could get this scope's dot as bright as the Razor's I would dump the razor without question.

I've thought the same thing. I have a razor 1-6 on my primary carbine and my wife has the vx-6 multigun on her 3gun rifle. The vx6 does seem to me to have a better low end, at least to me on 1x. I'm keeping my razor because it really does seem to be bombproof and the weight doesn't bother me much but the vx6 is really really nice, and the dot has never given any issues brightness wise.

Reactions: gunsandgear
Ive had the vx-6 1-6 with the green firedot and was definitely underwhelmed with the brightness. The red version is much brighter even the green firedot in the mark AR was considerably brighter.

The Leupold does have a nice flat image and to my eyes is comparable to the razor as well.of you're this torn on which to keep I'd say selling the one that's worth more is an easy choice.

@jordan0317 I'm glad to hear that. I was thinking that maybe I'm just a simpleton who doesn't know good glass when he sees it. As someone with alot of hours behind a 1-6 Razor, I think the VX-6 is a lot of bang for the buck with current used prices, especially on non-HD versions.

Reactions: jordan0317
Ive had the vx-6 1-6 with the green firedot and was definitely underwhelmed with the brightness. The red version is much brighter even the green firedot in the mark AR was considerably brighter.

The Leupold does have a nice flat image and to my eyes is comparable to the razor as well.of you're this torn on which to keep I'd say selling the one that's worth more is an easy choice.

I'm tempted to just replace the Razor with another VX-6, especially if the red dot is brighter than the green.

In Tulsa quite a few use the Leupold because their stuck on the brand for hunting. I have the Razor and have enjoyed it but didn’t use it last year and probably won’t this year either. I borrowed a 1-10x March SFP and really liked it. Glass is good but it I am not sure the 10 power is mandatory.

I think you should go with whatever you feel comfortable with. You’ve got experience behind both. You shouldn’t care about the reputation of a brand or someone’s judgement once you already have the product.

Besides, be happy that the Razor is so popular, resale will be much easier.

While I've never owned a Razor, I briefly had a VX-6 HD 1-6 w/ green BDC reticle. My take: the green dot was barely noticeable in full daylight, the push button illumination sucked, and the attachment for the zoom lever is awkward and kind of bulky. With that being said, send it in to Leupold Custom Shop and pay to have the dot changed to red, install a turning knob for illumination, and add a better zoom lever. I think I was quoted for around $300ish. While all of those changes are subjective, if I was in the market again for a 1-6x that's what I'd do for around the 1k mark. You'd have an extremely lightweight, daylight bright reticle with excellent optical clarity. So, I'd sell the Razor :)

Both are good scopes and ultimately go with what works for you. That having been said, if you see a lot of distortion with the Razor, there is a good chance you need to tweak your eyepiece adjustment settings a little. Because of the very wide FOV of the Razor, you need to be a little careful with how you set it up. Also, make sure your eye relief is set right. I see people clsoer to the eyepiece than they need to be all the time.

That having been said, now that there is a lighter Gen 2E Razor, this is probably the scope to beat among the 1-6x variants, although Meopta R2 is worth looking at as well.

ILya

Reactions: CSTactical
Both are good scopes and ultimately go with what works for you. That having been said, if you see a lot of distortion with the Razor, there is a good chance you need to tweak your eyepiece adjustment settings a little. Because of the very wide FOV of the Razor, you need to be a little careful with how you set it up. Also, make sure your eye relief is set right. I see people clsoer to the eyepiece than they need to be all the time.

That having been said, now that there is a lighter Gen 2E Razor, this is probably the scope to beat among the 1-6x variants, although Meopta R2 is worth looking at as well.

ILya

Ilya,

Have you done and/or posted a review on the R2?

Thanks in advance.

Ilya,

Have you done and/or posted a review on the R2?

Thanks in advance.

I have not posted a review, largely due to being busy (procrastination), but I spent several months with it next to Razor Gen 2 and March 1-8x. At the time, the only available R2 reticle was the K-dot reticle. Now, they have better options, so I probably need to revisit them. Other than the reticle, R2 1-6x24 is an exceptionally nice scope.

ILya

While I've never owned a Razor, I briefly had a VX-6 HD 1-6 w/ green BDC reticle. My take: the green dot was barely noticeable in full daylight, the push button illumination sucked, and the attachment for the zoom lever is awkward and kind of bulky. With that being said, send it in to Leupold Custom Shop and pay to have the dot changed to red, install a turning knob for illumination, and add a better zoom lever. I think I was quoted for around $300ish. While all of those changes are subjective, if I was in the market again for a 1-6x that's what I'd do for around the 1k mark. You'd have an extremely lightweight, daylight bright reticle with excellent optical clarity. So, I'd sell the Razor :)

I just called Leupold for this. They wanted $275 to switch out the reticle from CMR2 to Firedot BDC. And $200 for the dial illumination. Too much for me.

I just called Leupold for this. They wanted $275 to switch out the reticle from CMR2 to Firedot BDC. And $200 for the dial illumination. Too much for me.

Way too much. Thank you for calling and reporting back though. I wonder if we'll see another update to the VX-6 line any time soon (after this latest HD update) with illumination controls/performance on par with the rest of the $1k-ish 1-6x competition?

Yeah that would be way too much. My quote was from last year and was to change the green firedot BDC to red, change the push illumination knob to a turn knob, and also add an integrated throw lever. I can see them charging that much to completely switch out reticles though.

Updated reticle info: Green Firedot BDC in VX-6, JM-1 in Razor.

If Leupold could get this scope's dot as bright as the Razor's I would dump the razor without question.

Wondering if this is an issue on the green vs red firedots (mine is red)? I think the Trij 1-8 has a similar issue, although from what I hear, neither Trij reticle, red or green, is near daylight bright.

Is BDC reticle in red daylight bright?

One user above said the red dot was brighter than the green. I've heard the same from a few different people but have not looked through a VX-6 with a red dot in a few years. I have a friend who owns one, I will check it out in the next couple weeks and see if the color swap/upgrade would be worth it. I'll report back once I check it out, but like I said, it will likely be a while.

This morning I was able to put hands on the Razor Gen II E 1-6x and it was a beautiful scope. The glass was crystal clear and the eye box was big and flat. I think I have made my decision.

The E is lighter than the previous versions of the Razor at 21.5 ounces. While heavier than the competition that is not an issue for me. I mean no disrespect to anyone but if the weight bothers me I will spend a little more time in the gym.