• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1-8.5 twist too fast for 140-168's ?

Re: 1-8.5 twist too fast for 140-168's ?

You should try this post in the Reloading Section.... I have a 1:8tw on my .284 Win, and fire 175gr SMK's and 180SMK's mostly. I do shoot 162gr A-Max,and the bughole....

I think you should be fine. I shoot a 1-8.5 on my 708 and shoot the 162 amaxs great out of it. I am wanting to try a few 140gr hunting bullets for it for hog hunting but I don't see the twist being an issue.

Go check out JBM ballistics website they have a free stability calulator where you put in the bullet length, weight, expected velocity, and twist and it will give you a stability estimation.

No it isn't too fast of twist for 7mm I those weights. That is what I have and those weights have shot fine

Not a problem.

There's no such thing as 'too fast a twist' (within reason) anyway: A bullet is either stable; or it isn't.

At 8.5 they should be stable. I have an 8.9 and an 8.7, and they stabilize the 180s just fine, even in very cold weather.

"At 8.5 they should be stable. I have an 8.9 and an 8.7, and they stabilize the 180s just fine, even in very cold weather."

does that mean the colder it is the faster those bulelts need to spin to stabilize?

is it the opposite for warmer weather, warmer it get the slower they need to spin?

Thanks for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LEOHUNTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"At 8.5 they should be stable. I have an 8.9 and an 8.7, and they stabilize the 180s just fine, even in very cold weather."

does that mean the colder it is the faster those bulelts need to spin to stabilize?

is it the opposite for warmer weather, warmer it get the slower they need to spin?

Thanks for the help.
</div></div>

Exactly. Also, higher altitudes require less spin due to the lower air density. JBM's stability calculator is fantastic when deciding on a twist rate.