• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1-8 Brownells MPO

Good to hear. I have a couple of their 3-18x scopes and they are exceptional for the money. I'll be on the lookout for the 1-8x

Obvious JOL product. Looks like a cross between the Crimson Trace 1-8x28 and 1-5x24. It has the wider turrets of the CT 1-8x with the smaller objective of the CT 1-5x. Non-coin slot battery cover is the same as the CT models and unlike the Riton version. Price indicates that it won't have ED glass. The price is currently too high when you can get the CT or Riton for $100-$150 cheaper right now. But the pricing is still more in line with what the CT should have been.

Last edited:
I tried to find reticle info, and couldn't. I couldn't even find focal plane info. Kind of a strange way to release an optic.

I too am very interested in this new MPO 1-8x24. I'm curious what makes you think it's a JOL clone vs a LOW clone? If it's a JOL clone then the CT/Riton for hundreds less is the far better deal like you said.

If these MSRP at $800 that gives a street price of around $700. Not too bad considering the available options.

I too am very interested in this new MPO 1-8x24. I'm curious what makes you think it's a JOL clone vs a LOW clone? If it's a JOL clone then the CT/Riton for hundreds less is the far better deal like you said.

If these MSRP at $800 that gives a street price of around $700. Not too bad considering the available options.
As noted by SageRatSafaris, it has been well established that the Brownells' MPO line is made by JOL and not LOW. The new 1-8x shares design features with other JOL LPVO designs so that is consistent with Brownells other MPO scopes.

As for street prices, Brownells really doesn't do them with their MPO optics. They do periodically have sales, or perhaps allow a $15 off coupon occasionally, but their old 10% coupons haven't traditionally worked. $799 is going to be the regular price. Brownells did just have a $100 off sale on the 5-25x and the 3-18x, but I wouldn't expect that often.

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
This scope is supposed to come out today, will be interesting to see actual specs on this one. I like the price and if it is on par with the 3-18 and 5-25 in value and performance, this should be a winner. I just hope it doesn't weight 25oz.

Obvious JOL product. Looks like a cross between the Crimson Trace 1-8x28 and 1-5x24. It has the wider turrets of the CT 1-8x with the smaller objective of the CT 1-5x. Non-coin slot battery cover is the same as the CT models and unlike the Riton version. Price indicates that it won't have ED glass. The price is currently too high when you can get the CT or Riton for $100-$150 cheaper right now. But the pricing is still more in line with what the CT should have been.

What kind on glass does the Riton X7 tactix 1-8x28 have I have seen them listed for over 1k.

Description says ED glass on the 1-8 MPO too. I'm not sure on the Riton.

Only thing I'm not crazy about is the weight, but if it's priced like the other MPOs, the weight may be the only downside if the reticle workable. It is SFP but I think that helps them get around the illumination issues / balancing that other FFP scopes have to use. For me, if I can't use 8x, I will likely use 4x and just use half the holdover.

What kind on glass does the Riton X7 tactix 1-8x28 have I have seen them listed for over 1k.
I don't have the Riton but their website says the X7 Tactic has ED glass. You can get that Riton for $599 right now.

I did not like the 1-8x28 scope from JOL a whole lot, so I am very curious to see how the 1-8x24 comes out. I really like the 3-18x50, so I am going to take a look at the 1-8x24.

I do not think the new MPO is the same design on the inside as the Riton X3, but time will tell.

ILya

I did not like the 1-8x28 scope from JOL a whole lot, so I am very curious to see how the 1-8x24 comes out. I really like the 3-18x50, so I am going to take a look at the 1-8x24.

I do not think the new MPO is the same design on the inside as the Riton X3, but time will tell.

ILya
Sad to hear...will look forward to the review anyway. Guess I will keep eyeing The gen 3

ILya

Interesting, what were your issues? My experience with the CT 5 Series 1-8x28 has been generally positive for the current closeout price.

Interesting, what were your issues? My experience with the CT 5 Series 1-8x28 has been generally positive for the current closeout price.

The couple I have seen had issues on 1x with field curvature and distortion no matter what I did with the eyepiece, which makes me thing it was caused by something further forward in the scope. If that guess is correct, it is entirely possible that a smaller 24mm objective will do better.

ILya

The couple I have seen had issues on 1x with field curvature and distortion no matter what I did with the eyepiece, which makes me thing it was caused by something further forward in the scope. If that guess is correct, it is entirely possible that a smaller 24mm objective will do better.

ILya

That's surprising to hear. Maybe I got lucky, but my example that I just received from Midway two weeks ago doesn't really exhibit any more distortion than I see with some of my other LPVOs. I find the Burris RT-6 has considerably more 1x distortion. On the Burris, I even sent it in to them to verify whether it was in spec. I see more edge distortion in my two SMRS 1-6.5x examples (non-Pro). The SMRS Pro is slightly better than the CT 1-8x. I think the CT 1-5x is slightly better as well, so that may confirm your thoughts on the MPO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308ftWIN

They had a 10% off coupon last week (Riton10) too, but that expired last week. $599 is still a good price. Same vendor is selling it on Amazon for $699...the extra must be to pay Bezos his cut.
That's tempting. Would love some more reviews to be out there first. Also their USA made 1-8 with Green reticle has my attention.

ILya
What are your thoughts on both of the MPO 3-18 and 5-25?? how they they compare to the rest of the sub $1500 optics?

Very cool, Lets wait to see if its Daylight bright.
This is definitely the big question for me. I am personally skeptical; the reticle does not look like it's fiber optic based on the floating dot design, and JOL's previous scopes haven't really impressed in this area. I don't know why these manufacturers keep insisting on going halfway with what is arguably the most important feature for 1x LPVO usage. You can actually get away with all sorts of other screwups if you can get that reticle bright enough.

(OK, I know why, which is that they can get away with it because so many people have never used a Razor or similar before.)

Reactions: SageRatSafaris
MPO 3-18x50 is my favourite scope of this type at $1k. 5-25x56 seemed very respectable, but I have not spent much time with it.
The 3-18x I tested quite thoroughly.
ILya
How did it compare to the LRTS/LRHS 4-18? Curious is the glass and eyebox is better.

Brownells-Match-Precision-1-8x24-CQ-NOMR.jpg

SFP MRAD CQ-NOMR reticle. Brownells also lists a “N-OMR” reticle in the “plus mount” package, but I suspect that is a typo, and it’s just the one reticle option.

@koshkin what did the Brownells rep say that gives you optimism about this 1-8? Thanks

It is not so much what he said, but rather that I know him a little bit. He will not be peddling crap.

He also knows me a little bit, so he knows what happens if someone sends me a scope that is indeed crap.

Simple fact that he is willing to send me this scope to test means he has some confidence in it.

ILya

Reactions: rlsmith1
It is not so much what he said, but rather that I know him a little bit. He will not be peddling crap.

He also knows me a little bit, so he knows what happens if someone sends me a scope that is indeed crap.

Simple fact that he is willing to send me this scope to test means he has some confidence in it.

ILya
Great to hear. Any idea when you hope to have a review done on this one? Was hoping to see something new from Leupold but it seems they won't have anything first half of the year unless they have a surprise up their sleeve.

Really liking everything on this MPO except the weight, but I can sacrifice there if it's a durable and cost effective unit.

Great to hear. Any idea when you hope to have a review done on this one? Was hoping to see something new from Leupold but it seems they won't have anything first half of the year unless they have a surprise up their sleeve.

Really liking everything on this MPO except the weight, but I can sacrifice there if it's a durable and cost effective unit.

Not a clue. Once it gets here, I'll let you know.

ILya

You are not going to get daybright FFP in this price range.

ILya
Eotech Vudu 1-6 is quasi daylight bright. Awesome reticle as well for shooting on 1x.

That's why real LPVO start with the Gen 3 Razor IMO.

OG Shortdot 1.1-4
USO 1-8 was cutting edge at time, even if it was a boat anchor.
Gen 2 Razor (even though its SFP, Yuck)
Gen 3 Razor
NX8 (Shitty reticle)
ATACR8
MK8 1.1-8
S*B 1-8 CC

Its really simple..

Daylight Bright so it can be used as a red dot on 1x.
A good ranging reticle for holders at 3-X power
FFP so my reticle is true where ever it is. In combat FOV is really important and you are not going to be at max power unless you need PID or are shooting at small shit or shooting really far.
Durable
Good Glass
Turrets can be capped, with a good ranging reticle you are not going to need more than 10 mils anyway.

Make a daylight bright, FFP LPVO with good glass and a good reticle. I am there are significant engineering challenges but S&B was able to do it 20 years ago and we have seen really good improvement 10 years ago with the MK8 and now the G3/ATACR/CC.

Come out with an optic with those features around 1-1.2k and you will not be able to make them fast enough. Trijicon has swung and missed about 6 times now, maybe the next one will be a hit.

Reactions: knownothing
I'm usually a FFP fan as well, but this reticle is so simple, that if 8x is too much, I can just dial to 4x and use half the hold. Willing to make this tradeoff if the dot is truly bright (SFP is easier for some reason?).

I agree, if you want the best you will pay for it. Before everything got crazy, NX8's could be had for $1400 and that was really compelling.

I've got one on order but unfortunately was on the fence too long so it's on back order. They didn't know when mine would ship but I know Koshkin has one being sent to him. I'm pretty excited for it to get here

I really wish they'd have kept at least some sort of christmas tree.

When you're using this on a carbine/DMR at distance and you have capped knobs there's a pretty good chance the wind isn't going to be blowing 0mph.

FYI, these have only been available for pre-order. Sounds like the shipment is on the water right now scheduled to be in stock mid-February. So I suspect you'll start seeing info about them in late Feb.

I really wish they'd have kept at least some sort of christmas tree.

When you're using this on a carbine/DMR at distance and you have capped knobs there's a pretty good chance the wind isn't going to be blowing 0mph.

I agree, but the 1-8x is a difficult range to make a good reticle for especially in FFP. I think they sidestepped a lot of the complications by keeping it SFP and using a more traditional mil reticle. I'm very interested because no one has really done the Christmas tree reticle well (even the expensive guys) and it's because there have to be tradeoffs with such a wide mag range. They tried to get around this with their NOMR reticle in the 3-18 and 5-25 scopes and it seems to work but would drive the scope up. I'm hoping they compromised on (a) reticle / FFP and (b) weight to give use great glass and durable, repeatable internals. They did mention in their website video the turrets have been tested for tracking so I'm probably going to run the top turret exposed assuming durability isn't impacted.

Great to hear on the shipping times too.

Reactions: hypno02
Hell I'm gonna place an order and return it if it doesn't live up to my expectation. Here's a chat from this AM I had with Brad @ Brownells customer service.

brad.jpg

Hell I'm gonna place an order and return it if it doesn't live up to my expectation. Here's a chat from this AM I had with Brad @ Brownells customer service.

brad.jpg
FYI, these will not be red dot, daylight bright. Pretty much only Fiber Optic illumination is Red Dot Bright and you can't do fiber optics with a floating dot.