• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 1: 9 twist 308

Did someone give you a bbl? Why would you unless you were shooting heavies subsonic? 308 is challenged enough with a 10 or 12 twist;-)

I wouldnt go more then a 1:10 on a 308 for shooting 168-200gr bullets, Sub sonics with a heavy 240 a 1:8 works well. It all depends on what bullet you want to shoot.

Casey

Find a barrel manufacturer that will do what you want them to do.

I'm building a 1:8 20" upper. Will post results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done lots of 8 twists in 16-20" 308's specifically for shooting subsonic 308. It runs full speed, and subsonic 220SMK's amazingly well. The factory twist on DTA covert 308's we sell are all 1:8.

Just curious, orkan. What length gas system on those 1:8 twist models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not exactly answering your question:
Southern Precision Rifles (fantastic but hyper busy folks) built a trued Rem 700 with stainless Brux 1:8 cut to 27in on it. It shoots 1/2 MOA at 200 yards with factory Hornday 178 Superformance, surplus Lake City LR 175's. Hand loaded Lapua Scenar L 175's and Lapua Scenar 185's shoot 1/4 MOA; and of course factory Lapua 200gr sub-sonic all land in a 3in circle at 100 yards.

Long barrels aren't conducive to subsonic accuracy. The DTA barrels we've sold and made around 16-18" produce sub-MOA with subs. A really bad group is about 1.25 MOA. Not sure why, but longer barrels don't play well with sub loads.

Long barrels and slower bullets exaggerate bad form usually is the problem. Long dwell time.

That's the reason my 22 trainer has a 26" barrel. It makes my mistakes look worse on paper so it's easier to see and correct them

While I agree, I believe there is a lot more to it than that. I spend a lot of time chasing rimfire accuracy, so I know all about how difficult it can be... yet going from a long barrel to a shorter barrel in smallbore benchrest doesn't seem to make a 2-3MOA difference in accuracy. There's a powder burn rate thing, or bullet friction thing going on there with the longer tubes. I ran out of analytical equipment capability to find what it was specifically, but I am quite positive it was not simply bad form.

While I agree, I believe there is a lot more to it than that. I spend a lot of time chasing rimfire accuracy, so I know all about how difficult it can be... yet going from a long barrel to a shorter barrel in smallbore benchrest doesn't seem to make a 2-3MOA difference in accuracy. There's a powder burn rate thing, or bullet friction thing going on there with the longer tubes. I ran out of analytical equipment capability to find what it was specifically, but I am quite positive it was not simply bad form.
My WAG is the muzzle exit pressure becomes inconsistent with a long barrel. All the powder is burned, with chamber pressure is dropping bullet friction is becoming a greater component, so you get inconsistent exit timing (dropping out of the node).

My WAG is the muzzle exit pressure becomes inconsistent with a long barrel. All the powder is burned, with chamber pressure is dropping bullet friction is becoming a greater component, so you get inconsistent exit timing (dropping out of the node).
That's what I've read from others that seemed to have a stronger grasp on the physics of internal ballistics than I. Seemed logical!

This is not exactly answering your question:
Southern Precision Rifles (fantastic but hyper busy folks) built a trued Rem 700 with stainless Brux 1:8 cut to 27in on it. It shoots 1/2 MOA at 200 yards with factory Hornday 178 Superformance, surplus Lake City LR 175's. Hand loaded Lapua Scenar L 175's and Lapua Scenar 185's shoot 1/4 MOA; and of course factory Lapua 200gr sub-sonic all land in a 3in circle at 100 yards.
Great info, was looking at some solid copper bullet and need that twist: GS CUSTOM BULLETS - 308197SP204 Technical Data