• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1 question, 87 answers! , when to clean a rimfire?

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
So I shot my first RF match today. Trying to learn! So when/how often do serious RF shooters clean their bore?

What chemical/solvent etc is used?

Thanks!

Re: 1 question, 87 answers! , when to clean a rimfire?

For the most part, from what I've read on this exact subject, is that rimfire shooters ONLY clean their rifles once accuracy starts to drop off. I have read reports from people who claim that their accuracy is better when the bore is cleaner, I find this very hard to believe because all rimfire bullets need to season the bore before they start to shoot the best they can. This seasoning process usually takes anywhere from 10-50 rounds depending on the ammo. I have noticed my groups get smaller up to the 3rd group and then it remains about the same size. I'm not a good enough shot to say that this is always how it will be but for the most part this is what I have experienced.

So, unless I have to change ammo, I will shoot until the accuracy drops off. So far I have gone to 300 rounds without cleaning the bore before and haven't noticed the slightest amount of a loss in accuracy. But let me tell you if you haven't already experienced this yet, the bore will be FILTHY and if you are a clean freak it might drive you mad until you clean it.

But this is just the bore of the rifle, the remainder of the weapon needs the same care as any other firearm deserves. Especially the action. Take good care of the rifle and it will take care of you. Neglect your cleaning duties to the action, and you may have some problems as I'm sure you're well aware of.

If you plan to switch ammo types/brands, you need to thoroughly clean the bore and re-season it with the new ammo. The reason for this is to lube the barrel. This may sound funny and stupid at the same time, but match rimfire ammo comes boxed with a company specific type of lube and it makes the ammo shoot better and more consistently, or so I have read. And every brand uses a different lube on their bullets. So no two lubes being the same, you should clean the bore in between switching ammo to get the best results, and to keep testing constant from ammo to ammo.

I personally don't recommend using any solvents in the bore at all unless it's an older firearm or was neglected by its past owner, in which case you certainly need to clean it up to its former glory. From what little I’ve read on solvents, it is apparently bad for accuracy in a rimfire. I don't honestly have any clue why that would be, but I do trust the good people over at rimfirecentral for the most part. I always just run a dry patch through the bore until it comes out clean. This could take many attempts, and after a while I got sick of pushing the rod so I invested into another bore-snake specifically for my 22lr.

In all reality, I don't believe that the rimfire shooters out there really pay too much attention to cleaning routines. These guns keep shooting well for many thousands of rounds and I don't believe that any reasonable method of cleaning is a bad method of cleaning. Some people do, and all the more power to them, but I hate being anal about my rifles cleanliness so I flat out don't worry about it. But moving parts get the utmost attention possible.

I guess the best way to go about figuring it out would be to conduct your own tests to see what works best for you. Shoot her while frequently cleaning, and again without cleaning the bore at all and see what the groups tell you. From there you can pretty much decide for yourself what works best as your chances of shooting out a rimfire bore are slim to none.

Hope this helps Tres,
-Dylan

Yep, i only clean when i change ammo.

Otherwise, keep on shootin.

When groups open up I run a boresnake, and continue shootin.

In a semiauto, sometimes a bent .243 brush for the chamber, but barrel if shooting OK.

I got in excess of 2k through my Sako Quad without an official cleaning. I think I pulled a boresnake through when I switched from Eley to Wolf, but other than that I just brush the chamber quickly every once and awhile for ease of extraction. The Lilja has not shown any loss of accuracy that I have noticed, but I don't particularly go and try to shoot teeny tiny groups.

First I will say it was great to meet you Tres! I think we all had a lot of fun.
If you noticed my score today that was a tie with my worst yet in 4 of these matches. I had seriously lost count of rounds along with switching ammo. My gun needed cleaning in the worst kind of way but as you now see once you start the run it is too late. I made a costly mistake. The little voice in the back of my mind told me to clean it Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon and I did not listen. I wish you had asked me this today(actually you may have but I was really busy and appologize) I could have given you exactly what you need for a rimfire. I litterally have gallons of the stuff. Ed's Red is the best thing I have used for rimfire and cast bullet centerfire. On a rimfire I run a couple patches of Ed's and couple dry and done. Shoot 5 rounds through it and you will be ready and plenty accurate at stage 1. I will never again brush a rimfire, there is no point. The bore snake is good and handy but I don't like the integral brush. I use a 22 caliber Dewey rod but a 17 is a bit safer I think. Use a bore guide if at all possible.
We appreciate your help today. Any of you guys running a match would do well to encourage Tres to attend, he is always eager to help with dope and spotting duties. I just wish he lived closer. Looking forward to attending one of your classes!

Certainly I'm no expert on the subject but I can say that my 17 likes to be a dirty girl.Finding ammo that shot decent was driving me crazy. Every time I went to the range with a box of ammo I would find myself re-adjusting the scope half way through the box. I was never really satisfied with the results either. Conceiding to the "get what you pay for" mentality, I decided to just shoot the shit out of the little single shot, cleaning be damned. Accuracy kept improving and I found a round (Remington) that now gives me 1.25" consistently at 100yds. on a calm day. I've shot four boxes of this ammo through it now with no drop in accuracy. Just for shits and giggles though I think I'm going to clean it now and see what happens next time out.

BTW The boresnake that I use is for a .17 cal bore. I almost went and chopped off the brushes, but I really don't have much resistance when pulling the snake through.

I have about 1600 rounds and just over a year and a half since the last time my Mark II got cleaned. I need to clean out the action real good, finding time is the tough part.

Was just out the other day and shot just under 300 rounds, and it shot just fine for me. I don't even run a patch through when I change ammo. I ran Eley Black for a rimfire benchrest, won that, then switched over to Wolf and it shot like it always does.

Branden

Thanks so much every one for the tips and info. Thanks PL8 for your kind words about me personally.

I look forward to coming back!

Tres

i just had to clean it last week, the accuraccy went off big time, got it back now after 7-10 rounds.

when it's time to clean, i usually:

1. dry swab until no residue is present.

2. run a wet swab through a few times with breakfree until no residue is present.

3. soak with breakfree and run a brush about 10 times through, followed by dry swabs.

4. then repeat #2 with shooter's choice lead remover, let sit for 5/10 minutes, then repeat #3 with it shooter's choice lead remover.

if using copper washed ammo, i'd do #4 with hoppes copper remover / bore cleaner.

5. then i'll run another light coating of breakfree through it, done.

i used to at least dry swab it every 25 to 30 rounds figuring it would keep it a more consistant amount of fouling, but in the end, it was overkill and not neccessary with the savage mkii until the groups started opening up.

Ruger 10/22
Clean action & bolt face every 1,000 rounds.
Run a bore snake through the bore about every 2,000 rounds.

Only time to go bigger is if a Lead Doughnut starts to appear forward of the throat.
Then use shooters choice lead remover, saturate bore using patches. (Bore Tech Rimfire Blend is a good alternative)
Allow some soak time.
Brush, swab, then inspect.
Repeat as needed.
(All done using an Otis kit.)

Once the bore is clean, 50 rounds of plinking to re-season the bore and all should be well in the world...

From what I read on Rimfire central as far as benchrest rimfires is shoot them till the accurracy starts to go or swapping between ammo brands. As far as my Vostok 22 LR that is working for me. I've actually called out at one match there was a fly on my target and I was going to shoot at him. Nailed it! Left both wings on the target and I had to show it off to the other shooters. I been shooting the Vostok for over 2 years now and not had to clean it because it is still shooting dead on at the monthly rimfire benchrest matches. When I notice it is not shooting to it's potential then I will clean it. I have Bore Snakes but for my Benchrest rifle I will only use the cleaning rod, jags, and brushes on it. If it is a built custom 10/22 you can drill a hole in the back of the receiver to allow a cleaning rod to pass through to clean from the chamber to the crown of the barrel like a proper rifle barrel unless the 10/22 is a plinker can poppin rig then Boresnake.

I also have a .17 HMR CZ-USA 452 Left Hand bolt that i have to clean probably every 150-200 rounds or so. I think because the 17 HMR is a hotter faster round like a centerfire I believe the copper jacketing gets stripped off and left in the rifling and builds up faster. I clean it with a rod/patch also.