• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 any sugestions??

foxfire

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2008
wanting to build a custom 10/22 looking for some advice and different verations that works well together post some pics of your custom 10/22.. looking for some ideas. there are too many choices out on the market these days.

Re: 10/22 any sugestions??

You might try having a look on RimfireCentral.com. All the information, photos, accessories, parts, stocks, etc. a man could ever want or need can be found there.

I would agree with the RFcentral suggestion, but it all depends on what you want to do with it.

I bought a Butler creen SS folding stock for mine so that I could backpack and camp with it and still shoot squirrels, rabbits, snakes, coyotes or really piss off pumas if I didn't get a good shot placement.

A buddy got a Green Mountain 24" heavy barrel, new trigger and a hogue stock for his. It will definitely average 1 MOA with some of his best 5 shot groups being covered by a dime (not the norm though).

The options are limitless with the 10/22. What are you planning on using it for?

Mine is a factory re-worked bbl and adj v-block from Rimfire Technologies, and a polished fcg from the hammer stoning faq on the RFC board. Rides in the oem stock as a field/sleeper gun, or a Boyds Tacticool as a target gun. Rivals my 452 or MKII accuracy, and can still eat cheap Fed bulk if needed.

Best place to start is using a M.O.A. corp stainless steel receiver. It is threaded for a barrel and also has a rear tang so you can bed the receiver. Then you can add whatever goodies you need.
http://moaguns.com/index.html

More info would help. What do you want? Sporter or heavy barrel? Synthetic or Walnut? Do it your self or just buy it? Low cost bang for the buck or best performance?

depends what you want man theres a pic of mine bellow but you can make it into a long distance (for 22 maybe 100 yards) to just an awesome plinker tell us what your goin to use it for and well help you out

More info would help. What do you want? Sporter or heavy barrel? Synthetic or Walnut? Do it your self or just buy it? Low cost bang for the buck or best performance?

well its getting too expensive to shoot my 308. looking for something cheeper to shoot out to 75 to 100 yards: heavy barrel,supressed, synthetic stock, do it my self i would like to keep it around $800 and i already have the reciever

I finished my first ultimate a little over one year ago, I'm working one number seven now--you will get new ideas as you go, it's addictive!!! Easy to trade parts around also--My best suggestion JUST DO IT

Here is mine. +1 for going to rimfire central website. Search a guy named Vincent and look at his posts. I built this gun up from my boyhood 10/22 the barrel was shot out. My dad would buy a brick a week for me. I guess it was cheap daycare.

Clark custom barrel

adjustable V-block

receiver was hand polished on the inside (really slicks up action)

polished bolt and bolt handle

extended mag release

bolt catch was moded so you can lock it back but to release it all you have to do is pull the bolt back. not fight with it.

trigger and sear polished and moded with epoxy to get rid of mushy feeling and breaks at 3.6lbs

tactical solutions rail with TPS rings

firing pin pinned so it can not raise up

bell and carlson anschutz stock, free floated barrel and beded with a mechanical lock in the rear to allow a free floated barrel. hose flang bedded at receiver screw.

nikon buckmasters 6-18x40 scope. front lens adjusted to allow paralax adjustment to 15 yards.

not in the picture but I just ceracoated the metal black so it all matches.

I think that is it. The sky is the limit on 10/22's all the stuff I did to this gun i learned about on rimfire central. It will shoot wolf match target or sk Jagd pistol match 10 shot groups all day under 1/4 inch at 25 yards.

[img:left]
067.jpg
[/img]

+2 on RimfireCentral. Great site. Loads of information on 10/22's. There are many ways to go on a 10/22 build as there are a ton of aftermarket parts available. Here are my two SuperStock builds. One with a re-worked factory barrel the other with a GM 17" Heavy Taper.

100_0670.jpg

100_0767.jpg

Thanks for the reply, looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in it?
Thanks again!
jared

not sure exactly but around $700 for the upgrade from factory> This includes the scope and rings. Which were 350.

ultimate22s004.jpg
24" bull Green Mountain barrel, B+C thumhole stock. Resembles my Rock River Arms Varmint in weight, balance, hand and eye position

This was the basis of my first 10/22 upgrade, and several others. I added the Volquartsen trigger group internals and oversized mag release, and what I ended up with was very accurate and serviceable. RFC can be a very helpful source for additionally useful tweaks and embellishments.

Here's mine, it has a Green Mountain barrel, Boyds Tacticool stock, trigger group modded by a friend, and a Liberty suppressor. Overall a pretty low-budget build, but it shoots great.

6f4a80bc.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: foxfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wanting to build a custom 10/22 looking for some advice and different verations that works well together post some pics of your custom 10/22.. looking for some ideas. there are too many choices out on the market these days. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: foxfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...well its getting too expensive to shoot my 308. looking for something cheeper to shoot out to 75 to 100 yards: heavy barrel,supressed, synthetic stock, do it my self i would like to keep it around $800 and i already have the reciever </div></div>
With an <$800.00 "budget", I would go with a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tactical Solutions 15 MOA base</span></span> or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">EGW 20 MOA Extended Picatinny rail</span></span>, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kidd SS Match Barrel</span></span> and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kidd Two-Stage Trigger</span></span> in a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Bell & Carlson 10/22 Varmint Target stock</span></span>.

Regarding canted bases/rails. To me, this isn't even a question - especially on a 10/22. Even if you don't think you'll ever shoot beyond 100 yards, a 20 MOA rail on a 10/22 will help you compensate for the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">barrel droop</span></span> inherent in the 10/22's V-Block barrel attachment system. All 10/22's have barrel droop - some more than others, but unless you have had the barrel and receiver mated together through correct machining and threading they all have it to some degree.

Without the use of a canted base or rail, you will also be dialing-in a fair amount of elevation when you zero - it is always better to zero with minimal scopes adjustments, as this helps keep the scope's internal adjustments closer to being centered. (Most low to middle range scopes' adjust more consistently [track] better within the middle range of their travel range). Get a canted rail and don't look back. Zero cant (flat) rails and bases are a waste of money and elevation adjustment on a 10/22.

Kidd barrels are drawn from Lothar Walther SS blacks and are extremely accurate and well finished and are available in 16.5", 18", and 20" lengths. The grooves and lands look like a mirror and the barrel cleans up in a pinch. I have a 20" Kidd SS barrel that I had re-worked and threaded into an MOA SS Receiver.

The Kidd trigger is the best 10/22 trigger, Period. The Kidd trigger was designed from the ground-up, and is the most consistent, smoothest, cleanest breaking 10/22 trigger there is. Kidd triggers are adjustable for first and second stage pull weight and over travel. Some people say that they don't like two-stage triggers, but once they shoot a Kidd they change their minds.

While you can buy "tuned" 10/22 triggers from lots of vendors nearly all are based on the original Ruger 10/22 trigger, and as such the trigger pull weight, over travel, and break are all limited to the constraints of the Ruger design. Also, while a mechanical safety and heavy pull weight are never a substitute for safe gun handling, the Kidd trigger pull can be safely set to as little as 6 oz. (3 oz. first stage and 3 oz. second stage) without fear of the gun firing if dropped.

The B & C Varmint Target is an excellent stock for your 10/22. The fit and finish on my brother's stock is perfect. The stock has a raised, molded-in "platform" for proper barrel support (it takes the place of the pressure pad normally found on 10/22 stocks) and it works very well.

There are other things you can do to improve the reliability, consistency, and accuracy of a 10/22 but the four (4) I've mentioned above would be my first steps. The next step would be replacing the cast and machined factory bolt with a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kidd CNC bolt</span></span> or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Volquartsen CNC bolt</span></span>from <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Hawktech Arms</span></span>. You can move-on from there after you've shot the rifle if you feel the need. It depends on what you will be doing with your 10/22. My brother got lucky with his old-school 10/22T - all he did was drop his 10/22T action into a B & C Varmint / Target and his gun shot really well - he can hit a 2" target at 200 yards (effectively 1 MOA) using Wolf MT 40 gr.. That is waaaayyyy better than most 10/22s' you will ever see out-of-the-box.

Next, he installed a Kidd CNC bolt. And after that he installed a Kidd Two-Stage trigger (he and I had shot many 10/22s' in with various triggers, and after shot my Kidd-equipped 10/22 he mine could no longer deny himself one). While the Kidd trigger didn't improve the inherent accuracy of his 10/22T, it did improve the shootability of it tremendously. With an EGW 20 MOA base, 5.5-25X Falcon FFP, and Seekins rings I think he has around $1,600.00 in his 10/22T. I have $1,500.00 in custom MOA 10/22 before glass. Below are some photos and specs of my insane full-custom MOA Receiver'ed 10/22.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Custom MOA 10/22 w/threaded Kidd barrel - no V-Block! + VQ CNC Bolt and UNSHORTENED EGW 20 MOA Extended Picatinny Rail:</span>
MOA1022BarreledAction8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Custom MOA 10/22 in McMillan 10/22 Sporter w/SHORTENED EGW 20 MOA Extended Picatinny Rail & Falcon 4-14X 44 FFP:</span>
MOA1022wFalcon4-14XRS8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Custom MOA 10/22 in McMillan 10/22 Sporter w/Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Picatinny Rail & Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40 SFP:</span>
MOACustom102258x6.jpg

MOACustom102238x6.jpg

MOACustom102228x6.jpg

My MOA 10/22 can and will shoot under 1 MOA out to 200 yards using Wolf MT 40 gr. <span style="font-style: italic">in calm, consistent-wind conditions.</span> However, at that distance any wind variation can and usually does screw the best groups. I had posted my best 200 yard group (<1 MOA) here last year, but I can't find that thread or photo now.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA 10/22 100 yard 10-shot group shot w/Winchester Super-X T22 40gr. Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm A.O., bipod & rear bag. This is not a cherry-picked target, but I did try to "time" the shots to minimize wind drift as this group was shot in light, variable wind:</span>
MOA1022100YardGroupCU8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">75% Black/25% Dark Gray Swirl McMillan Sporter</span> - inletted for the MOA Receiver's rear lug by Randy at <span style="font-weight: bold">CPC</span> (Connecticut Precision Chambering). Randy installed a brass escutcheon for the rear lug screw, but I still had to do some additional inletting to fit because the front and rear lug holes did not line up. This held true for both the Kidd Trigger and an older factory (cast aluminum housing) Ruger trigger assembly. I also I enlarged the barrel channel to 1" to allow true free-floating of the barrel.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA 17-4 SS Receiver</span> - Bead-blasted finish, hand-stoned and polished bearing surfaces

<span style="font-weight: bold">Volquartsen CNC Machined Bolt</span> - fitted with Volquartsen CS Guide Rod Spring and <span style="font-weight: bold">Power Custom Competition Spring Guide</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd SS 20" Match Barrel</span> - Bead-blasted finish, shortened to 19.25" and threaded into MOA Receiver. Totally free-floating

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd Two-Stage Trigger - set to 1.5 lbs. Curved Black Blade</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd SS Receiver Pins</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd Bolt Buffer</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Picatinny Rail</span>

<a href="http://www.usoptics.com/accD.php?recordID=BBL-350" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><span style="font-weight: bold">U.S. Optics Rail Mounted Swivel Bubble Level - Contoured
</span></a>
Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm A.O. w/Duplex Reticle - Matte

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold 1" LOW (.75") PRW Rings - Matte</span>

Keith

Aries64...very nice shooting and very nice rifle. I love shooting my 10/22 and just made it into a Raccoon destroyer with a red dot on top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aries64...very nice shooting and very nice rifle. I love shooting my 10/22 and just made it into a Raccoon destroyer with a red dot on top.

</div></div>
Thanks <span style="font-style: italic">AustinCQC</span>,

I built mine just to have a highly-accurate semi-auto .22. People that don't know me or have never seen me shoot my MOA 10/22 think I'm crazy when they see me run out to the 200 yard berm and throw <2" pieces of broken clay bird on the 200 yard berm. Sometimes even after they've watched me "dust" the pieces they don't believe it, and think that I threw out larger pieces. Not!!!

Keith

my advice - don't do it you never know what the addiction could bring and don't look at the pictures other addicts post, I will help you by not posting mine because I do not know how