• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 build

OldSalty2

Just a salty OG liberal.
Minuteman
  • Aug 29, 2020
    I am looking to customize my 10/22 which is pretty much a stock target version with the SS bull barrell.

I want a lightweight plinking machine, small game etc. Not for match or anything...still want accuracy and quality tough.

Plan to use stock receiver and bolt / internals.
    I have the cheap bx25 trigger which is decent IMO.

Was thinking a stock (unsure of color) similar to this:
    stock-profile-1024x350.jpg

Will likely throw a 1-4 trijicon accupower or accupoint on top, to keep weight down, plus I love the segmented circle SFP reticle of the accupower.

But where I am having challenges is the barrel. I see some lightweight options from tactical solutions and volquartsen. And much like anything, reviews seem to be mixed, both on QC and fitment.

Anyone have similar build that can lend some advice? Goal is to be lightweight, accurate and reliable :)

And if there are any other aftermarket components for this build you would recommend?

Thank you.

I have a standard 1976 ruger 10/22 stock that works fine for me with an inexpensive extended recoil pad.

One day at the range someone was shooting a Boyd aftermarket stock 10/22 and we got to speaking about triggers and stocks etc. He really liked the stock a lot. Said it didn't take much work to fit.

I had the opportunity to shoot one magazine through his rifle, he had upgraded the trigger and had a thick bull barrel on it. I must admit it was pretty nice. From an aesthetic perspective I'm generally not a huge fan of laminated stocks but it felt solid and seemed well fit from what i could see.

would love to hear about what you decide on.

I cant speak of a light weight barrel as I have a Kidd bull barrel and it shoots amazing.

I did at one point have a stock similar to that one. It was comfortable and easy to install, but the action never felt like it was mated real well with the stock, I could take both ends of the gun and you could feel it move (only 1 action screw holding it in). I did put a little bedding material in it to tighten it up, but it never seemed to do a real good job (there just isn't much material to work with).

I eventually felt that a heavy barrel hanging out there without any support was probably not a good idea considering how little the barrel interacts with the action, so I placed it in a Magpul hunter stock and it was been going strong since.

Reactions: Redheeler
    The Tactical Solutions and Kidd ULW barrels are very light and also very accurate.I own both and can do head shots on tree rats at 100 yds with no problems.That stock is really pretty.

The Tactical Solutions and Kidd ULW barrels are very light and also very accurate.I own both and can do head shots on tree rats at 100 yds with no problems.That stock is really pretty.

The Kidd uw and ulw look good IMO, having steel where it counts. Going to give a ulw a try I think.

Starting with this, which stock, actually shoots pretty good. Just want something ultra light to mess around with. Should be able to get this thing in around 3-3.5lbs w/o optic.
    16610-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
    Those stocks work well, I have something similar for the builds I did for my nephews. I added a brass screw that indexes with the cleaning hole on the rear action for a second anchor point. Mine have green mountain or feddersen barrels. For a lighter barrel I'd get a tapered steel from Feddersen. https://fjfeddersen.com/product-category/22lr-rifle-barrels/contoured-22lr/

Dont see a weight listed for their barrels.

The Kidd ULW checks in at 1.25 pounds. Pretty good.

Thanks all...

Any experience with the other Kidd 10/22 products? Bolt, guide, retention spring etc?

Thanks all...

Any experience with the other Kidd 10/22 products? Bolt, guide, retention spring etc?

I started out using Kidd products to upgrade my 10-22s. Now I just go with their parts for complete builds. You’ll love everything the make.

On the lightweight side, I’ve also had good luck with Whistle Pig barrels.

— DY

I have also found Kidd parts to be of top quality.And any thing 10/22 I now just buy Kidd.

As an FFL, specialized in 10/22 for about a year. Learned a lot... I love everything Kidd makes! But, if I was gonna build a gun from scratch. I would
    4849F54A-399F-47E7-9BE6-FF79D0EDB917.jpeg
    always start with A Tactical Solutions receiver. They are the best....

Picture of the only 10/22 I still own.
    Tac Sol Barrel
    Ruger receiver polished inside
    Kidd guide rod and springs and trigger
    Hogue stock

Reactions: OldSalty2
    What specifically makes you prefer the TacSol receiver over the Kidd? Same for the barrel? - unless it’s just for the SBX can sleeve.

As an FFL, specialized in 10/22 for about a year. Learned a lot... I love everything Kidd makes! But, if I was gonna build a gun from scratch. I would View attachment 7417308always start with A Tactical Solutions receiver. They are the best....

Picture of the only 10/22 I still own.
    Tac Sol Barrel
    Ruger receiver polished inside
    Kidd guide rod and springs and trigger
    Hogue stock

What specifically makes you prefer the TacSol receiver over the Kidd? Same for the barrel? - unless it’s just for the SBX can sleeve.

Receiver doesn't make a lot of difference IMO. Though I wouldn't mind building one out of the brass receiver Feddersen is making. :)

Tatical Solutions has 2 rod rods and springs. Super smooth! Even smoother then my Ruger internally polished receiver with Kidd guide rod and spring. I run mine with the light spring for sub sonic ammo. Mine is silky... But, no where near the TacSol receivers I have had. If you get a chance to play with one... You will see what I mean.

They are pricey though.

TacSol receiver are the beat Machining, fit and finish is the best I have seen on a 10/22 receiver.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    For the sake of science... I will order one in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

Tatical Solutions has 2 rod rods and springs. Super smooth! Even smoother then my Ruger internally polished receiver with Kidd guide rod and spring. I run mine with the light spring for sub sonic ammo. Mine is silky... But, no where near the TacSol receivers I have had. If you get a chance to play with one... You will see what I mean.

They are pricey though.

TacSol receiver are the beat Machining, fit and finish is the best I have seen on a 10/22 receiver.

Reactions: Mark Coffey
    Appreciate all the comments. I placed my order today.

-Kidd ULW threaded barrel
    -Kidd extractor
    -Kidd auto bolt release
    -Kidd bolt charging handle w/ rod/spring kit
    -Kidd vblock
    -Kidd magazine plunger
    -Boyds evolution SS in forest camo with checkered texturizing

Going to leverage the factory receiver and bolt for now. Will need to see how well it works with the Kidd components/internals. Had the Kidd bolt in the cart but removed it on second thought. If I go that route I will get Kidd receiver to pair with it and build a second 10/22 with a slightly different use case in mind.

Already have the Trijicon 1-4 Accupower and a vortex lightweight 1 piece ready to throw on top.

Excited to get it together and do some testing. Nothing fancy as the intention isnt a competition 22. Just a lightweight plinker / small game/varmint machine.

Will post results when I get it together and do some testing.

Thanks again yall.

Appreciate all the comments. I placed my order today.

-Kidd ULW threaded barrel
    -Kidd extractor
    -Kidd auto bolt release
    -Kidd bolt charging handle w/ rod/spring kit
    -Kidd vblock
    -Kidd magazine plunger
    -Boyds evolution SS in forest camo with checkered texturizing

Going to leverage the factory receiver and bolt for now. Will need to see how well it works with the Kidd components/internals. Had the Kidd bolt in the cart but removed it on second thought. If I go that route I will get Kidd receiver to pair with it and build a second 10/22 with a slightly different use case in mind.

Already have the Trijicon 1-4 Accupower and a vortex lightweight 1 piece ready to throw on top.

Excited to get it together and do some testing. Nothing fancy as the intention isnt a competition 22. Just a lightweight plinker / small game/varmint machine.

Will post results when I get it together and do some testing.

Thanks again yall.

You can polish up the inside of the receiver with some scotchbrite. Pretty much everything you'd want to know about 10/22's can be found on rimfire central. There's ONLY a dozen sub-forums just for the 10/22. :)

All you need now is some scotchbrite to smooth out the receiver and either put in a Kidd trigger kit or send it to Brimstone for a trigger job. Be careful with Rimfire Central, it can lead to an addiction. That thing in the middle was my test to see how light I could go. The answer is 3lb2.5oz. I still have a Charger receiver that I plan to use with a 8" barrel and a pistol brace.

Trio.jpg

Last edited:
    All you need now is some scotchbrite to smooth out the receiver and either put in a Kidd trigger kit or send it to Brimstone for a rigger job. Be careful with Rimfire Central, it can lead to an addiction. That thing in the middle was my test to see how light I could go. The answer is 3lb2.5oz. I still have a Charger receiver that I plan to use with a 8" barrel and a pistol brace.

View attachment 7421405

I may look into polishing the receiver. Im pretty excited to get the parts :)

I will post results and weight as well. Should come in pretty light.

That charger might give me some ideas 🤔

That charger might give me some ideas 🤔

Like I said, addictive. You can source bare actions and various parts from places like Wirthwein and S&P Outfitters.

Last edited:

Very nice!

I shot like shit today.

Practicing some groups at 300yd (not with 22LR 😁 ) and was all over the place..

Reactions: Drstrangelove
    All you need now is some scotchbrite to smooth out the receiver and either put in a Kidd trigger kit or send it to Brimstone for a rigger job. Be careful with Rimfire Central, it can lead to an addiction. That thing in the middle was my test to see how light I could go. The answer is 3lb2.5oz. I still have a Charger receiver that I plan to use with a 8" barrel and a pistol brace.

View attachment 7421405
    How do you like the Magpul on the TD model? I've thought several times about setting up my TD model similar or like yours. What barrel are you shooting with it, how does it perform at 50?

How do you like the Magpul on the TD model? I've thought several times about setting up my TD model similar or like yours. What barrel are you shooting with it, how does it perform at 50?
    I really like the Magpul Backpacker. The higher comb really puts it over the factory stock. The barrel is a Volquartsen carbon-wrapped that I found on sale. The package is nice, light (3lb 14oz) and balances well. I've never actually shot it off the bench, but it is certainly minute of squirrel. It is a great rig for introducing new shooters. I'll stick to the Bergara B14r or the PWS Summit for precision work, the TI in the Modshot chassis for speed work, but the TD goes everywhere with me, especially walks in the woods.

I am looking to customize my 10/22 which is pretty much a stock target version with the SS bull barrell.

I want a lightweight plinking machine, small game etc. Not for match or anything...still want accuracy and quality tough.

Plan to use stock receiver and bolt / internals.
    I have the cheap bx25 trigger which is decent IMO.

Was thinking a stock (unsure of color) similar to this:
    stock-profile-1024x350.jpg

Will likely throw a 1-4 trijicon accupower or accupoint on top, to keep weight down, plus I love the segmented circle SFP reticle of the accupower.

But where I am having challenges is the barrel. I see some lightweight options from tactical solutions and volquartsen. And much like anything, reviews seem to be mixed, both on QC and fitment.

Anyone have similar build that can lend some advice? Goal is to be lightweight, accurate and reliable :)

And if there are any other aftermarket components for this build you would recommend?

Thank you.

I have no complaints about mine. 14x Falcon ffp, TacSol barrel, Kidd trigger group. 10shot group CCI minimags.

78E16775-7752-4A98-BAE2-1827C7260406.jpeg

63906D8B-0224-4240-9AA5-9456CE67039F.jpeg

Last edited:
    Very nice rifle and you gotta love the mini mags.I am amazed how small of a group I can get with them at 100 yds and they function in all my semi auto rifles and pistoles.

I went with the AT-One stock from Boyd for my 10/22. I bit chunkier in the wrist area than I was expecting, but it is a nice stock.
    Internal upgraders so far are a Volquartsen Target Hammer kit, and a Kidd bolt release and extended mag release.
    TFY9ba5.jpg

5Fz5bBa.jpg

I went with the AT-One stock from Boyd for my 10/22. I bit chunkier in the wrist area than I was expecting, but it is a nice stock.
    Internal upgraders so far are a Volquartsen Target Hammer kit, and a Kidd bolt release and extended mag release.
    TFY9ba5.jpg

5Fz5bBa.jpg

Good looking 10/22. If I put together another for more accuracy oriented purposes, I may take a hard look at that stock.

Kidd parts will be here today. Whoohoo. Just in time to plink over the weekend :)

But, boyds stock is MIA so far...

Will likely set barrel / components on action in existing stock until stock arrives.

Damn factory barrel is snug as (insert pun). She just dont want to budge. Got barrel and receiver in the freezer, then will hit receiver with some heat after she chills...

Tight.

Hopefully, but we will see.

Finally got the factory target barrel off, sheesh.

Went ahead and did some polishing onnthe receiver. Internals are in and should be ready for function test tomorrow.

Boyds stock still mia.

So got the stock and all the parts put together.

I started with a RD sight, just for fun to keep the weight down. Its a hell of a plinker. But I wanted a little more precision. So threw the trijicon 1-4 on it and was pretty happy, but the barrel seemed to want to give more accuracy.

Had a vortex viper 6-24 laying around and threw it on. Looks kind of funny especially with the sun shade.

I am extremely pleased with the kidd ulw barrel. At 25 yards pretty much any ammo is at least a jagged hole. And some general silloutte shooting at 100yrds was a cake walk.

Will test more at 100 and post up some pics, but far so good and couldnt be happier tbh.

Might put the RD on again, the Trijicon found a home on a different rifle and will likely stay there.

Weighs in at 6lb 3oz with the vortex and 10rd mag. Not bad but not as light as I hoped. It feels lighter though and it balances really well. The boyds stock was definitely worth the wait.

Djjejehehe3.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mk12
    I’m fixing to go down this 10/22 rabbit hole. Got a KRG Bravo on pre-order. Intend to do a Kidd bull barrel, trigger upgrades etc. But I have this question. Why in the world do we do this?😂 Take a $200 rifle and replace virtually everything on it. Have a crap load of money spent and still just have a 22 auto.
    I think the answer is probably “Cause we can”😎
    Current configuration. Input appreciated.
    EEE9E547-1569-4023-801D-78FF88AD590A.jpeg

i am only about 800 rds in but...I am very happy with the kidd products - barrell, hold open, charging handle, springs, guide rod, extractor, plunger etc. all fit perfect and really increased the overall quality and feel of the rifle. i especially like the ulw barrell, springs and charging handle.

The ruger bx trigger is good enough for me, but i am sure there are better. But i got it for like 40 bucks, so cant complain. never measured it but it feels about 3.5lbs. you can spend quite a bit on a trigger for sure.

using scotchbrite pads and some wd40 as some others mentioned, really did smooth the action considerably. doesnt take much and it makes a big difference. smooth like butta.

i have no complaints really, just need to settle on what optic to leave on it lol...RD, lpvo,..

The scope I have on it now is a Nikon ProStaff 5 3.5-14 I had laying around. Unfortunately the parallax adjustment is 50 yds. to infinity.
    I decided to go the 22 route cause my 308 costs me $100 every time I go to the range.
    I know, I know, but Ize a po🙄

1602306072277.png

Fajen Stock, Adams & Bennett Threaded Heavy Match Barrel (cut to 16.5"), SWR Suppressor, Harris Bipod, 1907 Leather Sling, CenterPoint 3-12x44 Scope.
    I bedded the receiver to ensure a free-float barrel. Super fun and quiet.

Some sort of + MOA scope setup needed for longer distances? 200yds plus.
    I’m seeing 26+- MOA at 200 w/50 yd zero. No?

26+ MOA sounds excessive. There is another LR 10/22 thread where a guy was talking about a 40 MOA 10/22 scope base for 400 Yard distance shooting.