• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Custom Build, Help

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
Ok, so I have about $800 to spend on a custom 10/22.. I was thinking of going with a KIDD receiver and single stage trigger group. KIDD bolt, springs etc. Ive heard nothing but good things about the Whistle Pig Barrels and I like the Stocky Stocks. I think Ill be in for around my budget.

Can anyone comment on the KIDD receiver VS the Tactical Solutions? What would you change on this set up?

Last edited:
For eight hundred dollars I would look at the PWS t3 Summit. Action is based off the 10/22 and mine is a serious hammer.

Kidd receiver is good and so is the TacSol you would have a good receiver with either one that you chose. As for the barrels Whistle Pigs are good but so are Kidd. In fact you can get a barreled action from them for $425 or so.

I've got a stocky thumbhole, changed out the hammer and springs, changed out the barrel with a kidd LW barrel, the gun shoots nickel sized 10 SHOT groups at 50 yds, with cheap walmart federal HPs. Was quite a bit under $800. I'm just not sure how much a difference in accuracy the receiver is going to make.

If you're looking to go "LR/P" with it then I guess you're going the right route but I've never had issues (accuracy or funcional) with a stock Ruger 10/22 action with some custom parts. Throw in a good trigger, upgrade the barrel and I dropped mine into a Troy T22 chassis and it makes holes touch out to 40 yds, nickel and quarter size groups at 50-60 yds. It definitely looks like a tactical rifle though, not a long-range precision rifle. And if that's what you're going for, Kidd makes a great product. I've just never found the $$ value worth in a custom receiver unless you're just wanting to build a full custom 10/22. If that's the case Kidd makes a great product!

For eight hundred dollars I would look at the PWS t3 Summit. Action is based off the 10/22 and mine is a serious hammer.

Have you shot it suppressed? I'm curious about the experience from an actual owner. I'm wondering if it is noticeably quiet like a bolt action, or if a bit of gas/sound still escapes the action.

From what I've read, it's an accurate setup. If it's super quiet like a bolt gun, then it seems like a great "custom" setup...

Have you shot it suppressed? I'm curious about the experience from an actual owner. I'm wondering if it is noticeably quiet like a bolt action, or if a bit of gas/sound still escapes the action.

From what I've read, it's an accurate setup. If it's super quiet like a bolt gun, then it seems like a great "custom" setup...

I have one and shoot it suppressed all the time. I got it because I wanted bolt action quiet while being able to use 10/22 accessories. Yes it is quiet as a bolt action and a tack driver. Cost me $650 + 90 for the Tacticool stock.

yvary6er.jpg

The T3 is a GREAT rifle! Paid $750 for mine then the stock and all the other goodies. Fun little rifle and deadly quiet with the sparrow at the end.

The T3 is just as quiet as a bolt gun.

It really is a silly quiet rifle. Have let people from around me shoot it, and it is nothing but grins when they realize that they actually shot the round.

I run a full Kidd setup - action, bolt, single stage trigger, and barrel. Put it together myself and bedded it into a Boyd's tacticool stock. Get the tang screw! It shoots fantastic - better than I can hold and runs 100%.

I have one and shoot it suppressed all the time. I got it because I wanted bolt action quiet while being able to use 10/22 accessories. Yes it is quiet as a bolt action and a tack driver. Cost me $650 + 90 for the Tacticool stock.

Dammit. Looks like I have another addition to the wishlist...
Thanks for the info.