• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10-22, firing pin problem

SD Carpenter

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 28, 2019
    San Diego
    Hi, so my 10-22 doesn't pull back the firing pin after each shot. To explain, when I fire a round it cycles back to pick up the next round, but when I pull the trigger it just clicks.

If I then manually cycle the action, it fires the round fine, then again a loud click.

Any suggestions to start?

I would also suggest taking it apart and clean and inspect. Make sure the firing pin moves pretty easy in the bolt.
    My 10/22 hadn't been shot since I was a kid and the oil inside had turned to goo.
    I pulled the trigger and could hear the hammer slowly dropping onto the bolt.
    Also after going over my gun quite a few times I found that the ammo that most reliably cycled it was CCI Minimags.

Good luck. Hope your fix is just a little cleaning and lube.

Reactions: SD Carpenter
    There is a small rebound spring in there, it may be broken or stuck.
    1648409095680.png

There is a small rebound spring in there, it may be broken or stuck.
    View attachment 7836746
    Also, it’s meant to be oriented one way (sadly I can’t remember the direction). When your gun just goes “click”, is the bolt fully foreword? I have a rifle with an over sized bolt that was lapped into place. Initially I found that, though it would cycle, during bolt bounce after chambering, the bolt would stay to the rear slightly from friction with the mag contact. Firing wasted the hammer energy closing the bolt rather than striking the pin/crushing the case rim.

Reactions: SD Carpenter
    After a thorough cleaning and possible spring replacement, only use a dry lube (like Hornady One Shot) on the bolt. 10/22 prefer not to be run wet. Head over to Rimfire Central for all things 10/22. They have forgotten more about 10/22 there than most here know. It's a cult, really. You walk in with one OEM 10/22 and a year later you have 10 Kidd, Charger, Takedown, Volquartsen, and Steel Challenge guns.