• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 or 17hmr

Re: 10/22 or 17hmr

Every caliber has a purpose.. So you might want to be more specific about what you are wanting information about..

What are you going to use it for? What is the budget?

If your name indicates anything, I would lean more towards a 17 hmr. It is a great little round and I can put .25 inch groups on paper at 100 yards with my stock Savage 94R17 BTVS with a Nikon Monarch on top. Ammo isn't to expensive either. About $10 for 50 rounds.

Hope this helps,
Josh

I also would go with the 17hmr. Group very well and head shots are devastating with that round!

Most 17hmr ammo is too destructive for small game if you plan on eating it, I shot a squirrel at 100yds and hit him in the shoulder with a v-max and it prety much exploded. Head shots are a must. Ammo is expensive compared to 22lr. Its definitely an easier round to shoot accurately, out to 200 yards is no problem.

I just picked up a 17HMR and I am very happy with it. As stated above it groups very very well at 100, however is devastating on small game. It's great for Javelina head shots though.

Which one depends on your application. I use a custom 10 22 and a Savage 17 to shoot prairie dogs. I love them both. I agree with everyone that the 17 is devastating on small game, which, is why I like it for prairie dogs. Bua ha ha ha I have shot and killed coyotes with both and both were very effective. If you are wanting to eat what you are shooting at, probably have to recommend a 22 as there is less damage to the meat. If you are trying to separate body parts on impact, go with the 17.

for hogs you may wish to use a big gun. i like animals that can hurt me to be real dead. i like a 44 mag or a 45/70

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for hogs you may wish to use a big gun. i like animals that can hurt me to be real dead. i like a 44 mag or a 45/70
</div></div>

Wooahhh a 45/70 for a hog??? Geeeez wouldn't wanna be under gunned.......Now that is overkill! lol

Now about the OP question. Do you like rapid fire shooting? Does 25 round magazines get your blood pumping? If so go 10/22. If you like the sound of a bolt sliding closed and taking your time to make a shot and make it count. Do you like reaching out past 100 yards accurately and repeatably? Do you like to watch little pests blow to pieces? Then defiantly 17hmr.
smile.gif

Well if accuracy and range is key, then I would have to agree with the people advising for the 17 HMR. I just got one recently and they are great guns. Yea, you can get a competition 10/22 that might shoot accurate as a 17 HMR but if you are talking getting a factory gun for say $200-400 I would definitely go with the 17.

I've never had more fun than my 17 hummer. In Idaho, we have a season of "whistlepiggin", they're these little ground squirrels that come out in the millions! So, I take out my Marlin 917 with 200 rounds, set at my portable table and play whack-a-mole all day!!! I'm absolutely addicted to it! The 17 makes them join the circus and be acrobats real quick too!

I've got a Mossberg Plinkster rifle in .17HMR with a Redfield Revolution 3x9-40 scope on it and it's deadly out to 100 yds. I've easily got .25-inch groups at 100 yds with no issues whatsoever. It's a bit much for squirrels, but hunting for head shots is half the fun!
smile.gif
I love it for rabbit, but again, I always try for head shots.

When ammunition is on sale at our local farm store (www.fleetfarm.com), I can get 50-rounds of the Hornady 17-grain for $9.99... and I've gotten it as low as $8.99 for 50 rounds when I've had a "coupon".

+1 for the .17HMR.

you gotta have both. I think everyone would agree with that. I would get the 10/22 if you had no plans for other guns. Its amost as fun to build as it is to shoot, And with the right parts it will be a great shooter. That being said the 17 is a mini 223 and makes me giggle every time that tiny "grenade" hits a critter

17 is hard to beat. more expensive than the 22 as pointed out before but the "shock" factor is worth it, it tears stuff up. dont have very many groundhogs even think about running back to their holes when the 17 gets em. plus its cool to hear the pop! when it smacks em
smile.gif

My frugal soul rankles at the prices of .17 caliber rimfire ammo. For what they do, I'd be at least as happy with a .22LR.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My frugal soul rankles at the prices of .17 caliber rimfire ammo. For what they do, I'd be at least as happy with a .22LR.

Greg </div></div>

The ammo for 17hmr is no more costly than the match grade 22lr that most use for best accuracy. So either by a gun that can shoot cheap ammo, but can't use that ammo cause it isn't accurate enough and buy expensive ammo anyway. Or buy a 17hmr knowing all ammo is about the same price with none of it holding a double the price tag.