• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 stock upgrade

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Well, I'm bored again so looking to change my 10/22 configuration again. Would like to hear some thoughts on a Boyd's tacticool vs the titan stock. I've already done barrel and trigger upgrades but going to swap the optic and stock.

I can't speak for the Boyd's but I have had a Titan for about a year now and could not be happier plus the rear tang mount is ideal.

Me too, i switched to the Victor Titan stock with the rear tang for my Kidd 10-22.

Attachments

• photo48696.jpg
      photo48696.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 137
    I'm running A PMACA chassis which allows AR15
    furniture to your flavor.

Im selling it in The Rimfire sales section because I'm wanting a stock now. I have two 10/22's and both are an Ar15 variant so just want a stock now.

been thinking about the titan but can't remember what other stocks there were

I purchased the 10/22 stock from RTAC Precision last year and have been extremely happy with it. The only reason I am hesitant to recommend it is because of the wait and multiple missed deadlines. Other than that, I love it.

Another happy titan owner here, I have a heavy barreled .223 that weighs 18 lbs, the titan isn't heavy. :)

I was in the same predicament and was looking at the RTAC Precision, but the nightmare customers were dealing with on the old hide turned me into looking at the Titan. Good luck.

I have the titan and have played with a boyds tacticool on a Savage MkII before. The titan is lighter and comes with more features. The boyd's are nice, I can't knock them on that, but considering that it doesn't have QD swivels and it's not inletted for the rear tang, its easy to make the choice. Plus the cheek raiser and front rail on the titan are another bonus. Either way you'll be happy, I have no doubts about that.

Excuse the duct taped on cheek rest in the pic, swapped the scope and just making sure I'm happy with the height and position before I permanently attach it.

Attachments

• 10_22bushy.JPG
      10_22bushy.JPG
      41.5 KB · Views: 187
    Don't discount the magpul x-22 hunter stock for the 10/22.

Do you own one? I have a PWS laminate Raptor stock on my 10/22 right now and while it is nice I am also thinking about a change. The Magpul interests me for the similar feel of my competition chassis/stocks on my centerfire rifles while still being relatively affordable.

Yes ; I had to buy the high rise cheek piece for a better fit but I like the stock very much

Attachments

• photo56602.jpg
      photo56602.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 78
    I really like the Titan. A guy named Tom shoots my local .22 tactical match and has a titan. It's great.

However, the Magpul seems popular. Is the Magpul aluminum bedded like the titan or just plastic? I haven't seen one with ththe action out of it.

Last edited:
    I went with the Titan with the rear tang & adj cheek rest for my Kidd build and am very happy with it

I really like the Titan. A guy named Tom shoots my local .22 tactical match and has a titan. It's great.

However, the Magpul seems popular. Is the Magpul aluminum bedded like the titan or just plastic? I haven't seen one with ththe action out of it.

It's 100% plastic, hence why I didn't go with it. I'd maybe reconsider if they used aluminum beds, but now that I have this Titan I'm not so sure I'd use a different full stock for a 10/22 anymore --it'll be hard to beat the Titan, especially at the price. I mean, it's SOLID.

The Titan is actually an extremely nice stock for the price, actually the best IMO/E. I mean, it's a value --the next comparable one up is one of the McMillan stocks IIRC, and it costs 2 or 3x as much. I just built one using all Kidd parts and a Green Mtn./Liberty integrally suppressed 16" barrel. I used their Kidd specific rear tang (the actual Kidd tang will not fit this stock) which cost more and Kidd said it wasn't necessary, but I just like the idea of it being fastened in both places vs. just the one (but again, the tang that comes with it is a step up from anything Ruger ever did and better than my helicoil/hex bolt fix that I do to folders and the like). Either way, the stock is made such that the receiver fits like a glove, it's even a bit snug to get it in there. Once installed, it's solid as they come, NOTHING moves or wiggles. Cheek weld, lop, general comfort, all rank very high --this rifle feels like an extension of myself, the way all good weapons should feel at the ready or when behind them. Barrel is fully free floating and the aluminum bed is a solid piece that's integral to the stock. They could have made the entire section from aluminum, but I think this is how they made such a great stock for the price and truth be told that small aluminum block is really all that was needed.

The QD sling sockets are nice and it has 3 sling studs for mounting a bipod and/or Mike's swivels. You can mount a rail section under the front, but it'll be canted up and is only good for mounting a bipod; considering the size and weight though a simple 3-6" Harris would be the ideal bipod for this rifle. I used all Kidd parts and a Green Mtn./Liberty Pinnacle2 integrally suppressed barrel, zero Ruger parts, and yielded a FINE rifle.

Cannot say enough good about the Titan stock. Or the Kidd parts either (except how the barrel installation went, I had issues with that but I got it in there, albeit permanently). And damn is it quiet!

Get the Titan, you won't be let down.

Thanks for the info Steykervet.

The titan is high on my list. 2 things concern me.

1. I'm not running an aftermarket receiver. So no rear tang when I install a bull barrel. Hmmm

2. I've read some barrels(even bull barrels) like a pressure point up front from the stock. I could drill and install a thread insert to apply pressure up front but I'm not thrilled about that.

Last edited:
    1. It comes with a tang that provides a rear aluminum shelf w/set screw to tighten it up, so yeah, you get a tang. I came up with a similar solution using a helicoil and bolt on a factory Ruger and chopped Butler Creek folder to accommodate a 4.5" Beyer bbl. It went through the back and put *light* pressure on the trigger guard. No play, solid, used to move 3/4". The Titan tang is adjusted from the inside of the stock, it's clean, so no recessed machine bolt like on my folder. The action screw isn't nearly enough to hold these rifles together without that barrel band unless you do something else. That something else is taking the slack out of the rear of the receiver by means of some type of set screw. No pressure, just no play. Oh, and the aluminum bed in the Titan stock helps take play out in the first place. When the barreled receiver is installed, it's a tight fit and nothing moves but it all lines up.

2. Don't know what you are talking about. I used a Green Mountain barrel that was modded into an integral 16" suppressor. It's a gutted bull barrel, so it's the same thing dimensionally. It is lighter than a solid barrel, but it still has some heft. Anyway, it went in there and fully free floats with a good 1/8" or so all around it. I can see how a very heavy bull barrel may be a problem, like one of those 24"bbl.'s, but it'd be due to play in the rear. You'd be best off to call Titan, they are good people. If you DID need to put a riser or bumper or even bed the front of the stock, it wouldn't be all that hard really. There's even solid parts under the barrel in the stock you could easily affix something to. But given how solid it went together, I can't see it being a problem. Since nothing touches the barrel, and it has the action screw and the rear tang with set screw adjusted, then nothing should move (that's a key part of the assembly and it's stressed in the instructions). If that's the case then any bull barrel should fit and not touch the stock UNLESS it had slack in the rear of the receiver. See what I'm saying?

I'd call Titan and tell them you want to use their stock, a factory receiver and x long bull barrel. They can tell you if the regular tang will or won't be up to it, but I have a feeling it will. I think you are good to go, I've seen these stocks with all kinds of barrels in them and I've seen rifles sold with these stocks that are solid 22"+ barreled rifles. I only wish I'd gotten mine sooner. Man is it comfortable! Cheekweld and grip yield a SOLID platform that feels like it's an extension of the body.

NOTE: you can only use Titan's tangs for their stock. Kidd's tang won't work in the Titan stock. And it is worth it to get the proper tang if one is available. If not, use the one that comes with it.
    NOTE: if the barrel looks crooked in the stock, just remove it and adjust the V block by whatever means necessary and put it back together. It'll line right up that way.

I have my folder SBR using all stock Ruger parts. Wish I hadn't registered it. I like 10'22's but hate Rugers. This all-Kidd rifle is just the SHIT. All the things that suck about Rugers have been addressed. If nothing else, get a Kidd trigger, you won't be sorry. I'll be putting one in my stock SBR.

Short of this stock, I think McMillan is the next best on up and it's twice the price. And if this stock can't support the action, I seriously doubt the Magpul

I owned the Titan stock and sold it because it was too heavy. It weighs like 3.1 pounds. Too much for me. Other than that I feel it is high quality.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Im looking at an 18" Kidd LW or ULW barrel down the road so about 3lb barrel. Not too heavy but I don't want this to become a full serious build. I guess if it does I'll just finish it off with a Kidd receiver 6minths after the barrel. Ha.

Titan is still top of my list. We shall see. I'm going to put some more rounds through the 10/22 first. I shot very well with my savage mk2 on Saturday. Got 2nd place. But I have an itch to try the 10/22 in my .22 Precision Tactical match.

I think you will like the Titan quite a bit. It's free floated barrel and aluminum bedding offers much more than any other stock on the market. Plus it looks amazing. Here's a Volquartsen VG-1 in the Titan.

Hey Guys I have been out of the game for a while with a kid in college. Does the aluminum bedding block really make that much of a difference with a stock 1022 bull barrel?

I have both of the stocks you mention here and also have Several others. The Titan is really nice and if you are using a Kidd receiver of another Brand Receiver with the Kidd rear Tang added the Titan sure is easy to secure the rear of the receiver. I got my Boyd's Tacticools (I have 3 of them) before Titans were being made and 2 of them also has a Kidd rear Tangs in them but I had that done by a smith. In terms of function they are both very good. I got one of my Tacticools in Black and the others unpainted. Midway used to sell them for $79. I like the unpainted look. Don't get me wrong I like the look of the Titan too. If I were needing a stock today and were planning to use a rear tang I would get the Titan hands down, Its just easy.

Hey Guys I have been out of the game for a while with a kid in college. Does the aluminum bedding block really make that much of a difference with a stock 1022 bull barrel?

The best stock I've used on my stock 10/22 is the stock that came stock on it.