• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 tacticool

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
I am looking get get a 10/22 and put a tacticool stock on it. I know that getting a new trigger guard and bottom metal is reccomended for the savage mark 2. Is this also reccomended for the 10/22 and if anything else is suggested for a stock change.

thanks.

Re: 10/22 tacticool

The 10-22 Tacticool is GTG, no trigger guard are othe mods needed. I really like my Boyds Tacticool, it is a very good improvement to the 10-22.

The Savage has a cheap POS trigger guard that carcks if you look at it the wrong way!

Buy a drop in trigger - probably my favorite mod ( and I have a Boyd's tacticool ) plus mine came with a real nice trigger guard included : )

I also have a Tacticool stock. I like it a lot and it fit pretty well. The problem that I've had is that the wood is pretty soft and the tight fit loosened up over time. To maintain the utmost in accuracy, I had to install a pillar and bed the action into the stock. I also added lugs at the front and rear to prevent movement of the receiver. I now have my barrel completely free floated and get no movement in the receiver area.

In hind sight, considering all of the time and work that I had to put into the Tacticool, I may have been better off going with a different stock. Maybe a Bell and Carlson. Of course, all of this may not matter to you. I built mine to try and compete in a local benchrest competition.

I have also been looking at a basic houge stock for them to not sure what direction i want to go

I would go with the boyds stock over the houge. It's hard to bed a tupperware stock. The laminate used on the boyds is soft, but it's easily to remedy with the above mentioned methods

You can make an entire 10-22 with replacement parts. Of course, it will cost you the price of three stock 10-22s. Troy makes a decent chassis. Volquartzen makes a trigger assy and housing that is plug and play as well as a good extractor. Give it a few years and the Iranians will sell you a nuclear deterrent option.

I have had good luck with my Tapco stock it's been run thru the mud a few times and still looks good , and they are only $80 . As far as trigger I just went with the Volquartsen hammer and sear combo pack kinda a bitch to install but really improves your pull and crisp break ...

I had the TactiCool on a Savage Mark2, what a great stock, it adds a bit too much weight making the rifle not easily offhandable but other then that it makes it much more of a full size trainer rifle. I did have issues where I bought the stock at the NRA show and it didn't have a bull barrel cutout so I had to open up the barrel channel.

If you're looking for an aftermarket trigger and have the money to spend, look no further than the Kidd two stage. It is THE trigger to get. I tried all of the triggers mentioned and some that weren't and non even came close to the Kidd.

If you're considering the Volquartsen, drop me a PM. I think I have one that I can sell laying around someplace.