• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 10/22 w/ GM 1:9 barrel

ROLEXrifleman

Snipers Hide Original
Minuteman
  • Dec 23, 2004
    INDIANA
    Anyone running the Green Mountain 1:9 barrel for the 10/22 designed for the Aguila SSS round? Anyone have a can on it? How does it sound? how does it group?

TIA,
    RR

Re: 10/22 w/ GM 1:9 barrel

I considered building another suppressed 10/22 dedicated to the 60gr aguila. I know you asked about GM barrels. But...this is part of an email I got back from Scott Volquartsen about their 1-9's. Every GM barrel I have ever had shot damn good.

Keith

<span style="font-weight: bold">What accuracy are you getting with this barrel and the SSS bullet at 50yds, and 100yds?</span>

We have found the accuracy @ 50yds is approx ½” or better @50yds. Unfortunately we have not had success getting the 60gr ammo to group consistently at 100 yds. We have experimented with twist rates and other specs but it seems that from an accuracy standpoint the round falls off after 50yds.

<span style="font-weight: bold">How would it shoot 40gr Match bullets?</span>

It would shoot the 40 gr very well – ½” @ 50. The only issue to be concerned about is it seems to foul a little more with the 40 gr ammo so you may need to clean the 9” twist a little more regularly than a conventional 1:16” twist.

doesnt standard Subsonic .22LR fall short after 50 yards as well? I like picking up the knock down power of 60gr's

I tried going down this road...

This ammo is real dirty ...
    Groups fine at 50 but not so good at 100..
    Great penetration at 100
    ammo is real dirty...
    sold the barrel and went back to 38grn primarily...killed quite a few coyotes with these...
    60 grain falls like a volkswagen...
    did I mention that it is real dirty..

CCI subs shoot fine for us at 100yds. We are shooting paper w/ them. When we hit the 3"x3" steel targets you can tell there is more horsepower w/ the HV's vs the Subs but the subs are more accurate for us in custom 10/22's and Sako bolt guns. My CZ varmint prefers (lucky for me) the Fed. 510's.

Keith