• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 10.3 inch

Northtogladwin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Thoughts on 10.3 inch
To me shot placement is key, second would be follow up shots, third would be how the bullet performs in the media you happen to shoot.

How wrong am I?? im not a combat expert or anything.
Also 14.5 v 16 what would you choose and am I wrong for spending less to get a 16 in ddm4v7 rather than the more expensive ddm4a1 with 14.5 pinned and welded

to me it is something for cqc only. clearing a house...that sort of thing.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I have heard anecdotally of multiple instances of 10.3" Mk18's shooting Mk262 ammo being lethal out to 600-700 meters. There's also many videos on Youtube, etc. of people slapping steel out to 500 or 600 yards pretty easily.

My general rule of thumb, whether right or wrong, is that the 10.3's 10.5's, 11.5's etc are great for 300m or less, thick east coast woods, urban areas, in and out of vehicles etc.

For a "do-all" rifle I think 14.5 is hard to beat, or the newer trend of 13.7's with pinned Surefire flash hiders. I use a 14.5 for general purpose use and can consistently hit steel out to 600 yards, and have gotten regular hits out to 800 yards using 77gr match grade ammo. It's still short enough that it's not a hassle to carry it around, and would be fine for CQB work in a pinch. Out here in the wide open west having a little extra 'oomph' for the longer range shots is nice to have.

I think the only advantage a 16" has is that it makes it easy for the average joe to swap out muzzle brakes, flash hiders, etc because they're not pinned. Muzzle velocity difference isn't significant enough to justify the extra length.

Obviously the shorter barrels have less muzzle velocity, but I honestly don't think the feral hog, deer, home intruder, etc. would be able to tell the difference between getting hit by a 10.3 or a 14.5.

Edited to add. I also think it makes a difference if you plan on suppressing it. 14.5" is the longest I would want if there will be a suppressor mounted. The 10.5's are also pretty blasty, and a suppressor can really tame them down.

Last edited:
I have an 11.5 that I've shot to 400 so far. Shot placeplacement is key but at 100 or 500 yd id prefer not to be shot with anything so there's that. The bullet itself needs velocity to do damage, but the beauty part about us not being in the military is we can use all these nasty expanding bullets to help make up for that.