• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10 shot ladder question

sleeplz

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2017
    I conducted a satterlee method load development using 6.5 creedmoor, magnetspeed v3, 140 berger hybrid match, hornady brass, and H4350. My question is, would 42.8 be my sweet spot?

Attachments

• 1573111912047.png
      1573111912047.png
      115.3 KB · Views: 189
    The Saterlee method is inappropriate for your combination. Scott was using heavy for caliber bullets (147's) and slow for caliber powders (4831 burn rate). He was packing them to 100+% load density at max pressures.

You are at least a grain over pressure. See that spike going from 42.3 to 42.6? That is what's called a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
    For that combination I would expect the "sweet spot" to be found somewhere between 41.0 and 42.0 grains.

For that combination I would expect the "sweet spot" to be found somewhere between 41.0 and 42.0 grains.
    Yep, based on where pressure showed up, I would guess 41.5 or 41.7 grains.

I shot 41 through 42 grains of powder but was getting 2600. My brass looks fine at 42-43. For those saying I should stick between 41-42, is it because my sd's will be lower? I'll try graphing those results and seeing what I get.

The Saterlee method is inappropriate for your combination. Scott was using heavy for caliber bullets (147's) and slow for caliber powders (4831 burn rate). He was packing them to 100+% load density at max pressures.

You are at least a grain over pressure. See that spike going from 42.3 to 42.6? That is what's called a clue.

I disagree. I've used a Magnetospeed to quickly and easily develop loads for everything under the sun. From 223 and 223 Ackley, up to 300 Norma and 338 Lapua. It has nothing to do with heavy for caliber bullets or fill capacity. I understand that those things have an impact on load development, but Scott's method works without taking any of that into consideration. Obviously if those things aren't in line, you wont land on a decent load. But any decent powder/bullet combination will work. Most certainly a 140gr bullet over H4350 is an easy load to work up.

And I dont think one round going fast is a sign of a spike. Maybe it is, maybe it isnt. I've had rounds that were faster than the following shot here and there. Most often its irrelevant to the load. It could be a simple mechanical or even human error.

OP; It looks to me like 42.8 is a very nice flat spot in your load that most likely indicates your accuracy node. In your shoes I would load 5 of them and run them across the chrono. If they look good, no signs of pressure, single SD, I would go to depth testing and be done.

Just my two bits

Edit: I just looked up my load on my 6.5 Creed. Its 42.4 for my AR10 gasser. And by no means over pressured as I run that rifle with a can.

Reactions: sleeplz
    I shot 41 through 42 grains of powder but was getting 2600. My brass looks fine at 42-43. For those saying I should stick between 41-42, is it because my sd's will be lower? I'll try graphing those results and seeing what I get.
    Your graph shows 2775 at 42.3. Are you saying 0.3 grains showed an increase of 175 fps?

I'll have to redo it again. But when I was in the 41s it was in the 2600s. I'll try to graph it once I get back in town

You really need to stop trying to rely on a singular data point to establish velocity. You need to fire multiple rounds. I understand what you are trying to do, I just have not found that approach to be effective personally. I would start by loading 5 rounds each at 41.0, 41.5, and 42.0. Report back with the average velocity and SD for those charge weights. Fire them round robin.

I have used the components you are using in 3 different 6.5 Creedmoor barrels. The information in your chart aligns roughly with what I would expect at those charge weights. 2600 between 41.0 and 42.0 does not. Something is not right.