• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10 Years Ago Today

gimpy

One-Legged Grunt
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2011
Illinois
It's amazing how much can change in 10 years. This day, 2003, I was on patrol near Balad iraq with five of my peers when we rolled in to an ambush force of approximately 100 guys. The result of this event forever changed my life. In the initial volley, I was struck in the leg by an RPG, and we were stopped dead in our tracks. What followed was 31 minutes of the nastiest bloodshed I've ever seen. Ironically, minus the damage to myself, no other American's were injured; amazing what tactics and training can do for you. Following my evacuation from that shit hole, I returned to the states and met my newborn daughter for the first time.

Anyway, in the last ten years, I have had an amazing life; I was the first enlisted Infantryman in the U.S. Army to re-enlist as an amputee. Following that, I went on to be assigned to WCAP before leaving service in 2006. Following that, I was sponsored as a para-athlete, but let my demons get the better of me there. I then enrolled in college, aimlessly, and discovered a new career path and graduated with high honors. I am now currently weeks away from graduating with my M.S.I.S., and will soon have my second child. Where life takes me from here, who knows.

What I have realized though, is that no matter what happens, or how bad times may suck, life goes on, and will get better with the right attitude. I can hardly believe that I am at that point in life where a younger generation looks at me and thinks "Wow, he's old." I can only imagine how I will look back in another 10 years and see the way things have moved on no matter how much moments seem to drag on. Just remember, it's the things that nobody but yourself can take from you that matter; love, happiness, honesty, and pride.

-Brian

Last edited:
Good for you Brian, most people don't figure out what you have until they are much older, good luck!

Amazing story, thanks for your service to our country. Good luck with your family and the future, that positive attitude will get you places.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.... (and helping some of us keep our lives in perspective) Thanks for posting that

Good luck to you and you family

God Bless

You're story is a lot like mine, except I lost the mobility in the leg, not the leg itself, and mine was July 31, 2007. I too met my 7 month old daughter for the first time upon my arrival. The major difference is that I thought pills and whiskey were the answer for a few years. Now I know my three daughters and wife are the answer. I can't tell you how proud it makes me to be associated with the likes of you when people see me. Thank you for upholding the image of what we all should be. Id love to have the opportunity to shake you're hand some day.

Thanks for your service. I will let my kids read your post as you're an inspiration. KEEP KICKING ASS YOU BMF!!

I thought pills and whiskey were the answer for a few years.

That's a problem that seems to plague many. I spent my time under a bottle. Always took me to the same place; nowhere. Now that I think of it, substance abuse has helped kill more of my brothers in arms than bullets or IED's ever did.

Thank you for your service, your story and your perspective. Have you considered motivational speaking?

Thank you for your service, your story and your perspective. Have you considered motivational speaking?

I've had people ask. My issue is that I would rather work one-on-one with people than recite a speech to a crowd. My real goal is to get guys in to precision shooting as a form of exposure therapy. I've taken guys here in the Chicago area to the range to rediscover their ability to focus and relax. Problem is, EVERY organization/ company I have contacted about getting involved have avoided my correspondence like the plague.

I've had people ask. My issue is that I would rather work one-on-one with people than recite a speech to a crowd. My real goal is to get guys in to precision shooting as a form of exposure therapy. I've taken guys here in the Chicago area to the range to rediscover their ability to focus and relax. Problem is, EVERY organization/ company I have contacted about getting involved have avoided my correspondence like the plague.
It sounds like you need to start your own organization and start talking to different kinds of companies. I know, easy to say...hard to do.

I recently got this pic from a reporter that was on my medevac

I was carried off by one of my peers, battalion XO, and two of our medics. The old guy in the background was a dinosaur; our PA. He joined during Vietnam as a grunt, went SF, made E-7, became a warrant officer, made WO-3, then became commissioned and made Major before retiring.

image.jpg

Congrats on making it back... from EVERYTHING! It really is amazing what you can do with some perspective, direction, and time. Glad everything is going well for you and wish you only the best in the next 10 years!

Much respect for your sacrifice brother. You ever come through southern Indiana, hit me up with some notice as I travel a lot. Love to take your family to dinner or just meet, shake hands....

I was carried off by one of my peers, battalion XO, and two of our medics. The old guy in the background was a dinosaur; our PA. He joined during Vietnam as a grunt, went SF, made E-7, became a warrant officer, made WO-3, then became commissioned and made Major before retiring.

Dinosaurs kill.

Thanks for your service brother. May god continue to bless you and your family. I want you to know that me and all of us here are inspired by the way your carrying on after your shitty circumstance. I bet nick saban would love for you to speak to his football team sometime. I might be able to make that happen if you would be interested! Sincerely, mark!

Just remember, it's the things that nobody but yourself can take from you that matter; love, happiness, honesty, and pride.

-Brian
You, sir, Delta 4-3, and all the other warriors who now serve and served in the past so valiantly are my idea of a hero. Well said. Can't thank you enough for your service to our country. And thank you for inspiring me this evening and helping me focus on what truly IS important in life. I needed it, but that is another story for another time. Much respect and gratitude to you.

Thanks for your service and great attitude. There is a saying, "Life is what happens while making other plans". I think you are right in the middle of that.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice, and a big thank you for trying to take care of your brothers in arms who may have issues adjusting.

I really don't know what to say, everyone has already said it. Thank You for your service! If you are ever thru Arkansas, PM me and I will also treat you and yours to dinner. Lightman

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Best wishes for a continued bright future in whatever endeavor you elect to pursue.