• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

<$100 10x50 binos ?

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Looking to get an affordable 10x50 binos for law enforcement work...

any suggestions? My cap is 100 bucks. we aren't issued binos, and there are times where I could benefit from one.

don't need anything too fancy knowing my budget is low.

i prefer 50 objective because I work nights, and sometimes I might have to look at a ship a mile out or so.... so the bigger objective will help with low light situations. x42 could work too I guess.

I looked at some nikons (aculon?) for about 100 bucks... their website also has a line called 'action' (I don't even seen aculon there) that seems pretty affordable. 8x50/10x40 @90 bucks. with bak-4 prisms....

the less cost, the better honestly. I've even seen ones for like 40 bucks. I will probably use it couple times a year so :)

while on the subject, do you guys think 10x is max without a tripod, or 12 can be handled? I've held 10x before, and it worked well (still bit wobbly after your heart is racing) not sure about a 12x though

and lastly, do you think 50mm objective is a must for night time? or should 42 be sufficient?

Last edited:
Looks like it will be down to these two...

PENTAX - XCF 10x50 ($60 on amazon) vs Simmons - ProSport Roof ($85 on amazon)

looks like pentax would be the smarter buy (price and quality) but that simmons is nice because of size and weight. (I would like to fit this in my patrol bag somehow. no take home car

If you can afford to spend just a little more, you might want to check out the Redfield line. We just replaced all of our cruiser binos last year with their 8X32's and everybody loves them. They have a couple full size models with larger objectives that should fit your needs. Also, if you call Redfield/Leupold they will put you in contact with an LE rep. who should be able to get you a better price than the average retailer.

Good Luck,
HRF

Is the $100 your price or the departments? If the department was paying, I would add a little more and try to get the best set of eyes I could afford. Best bet is a used optic from SWFA. View Products stock changes everyday. I have had good success with Nikon and Vortex (in hunting). Both have transferible warranties.

cameralandny also has demo optics as well. Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY

THanks guys, it's my own money. They won't buy us binos. They might, but I haven't asked, and I don't plan on it. I've asked for other things that I felt are more important. lol

10 is also a significant amount of Mag.

I figured that's what we use in the army, so 10 should be good.... I see all marine ones are 7-8. I guess after that is when it starts to get wobbly.

Look into Vortex. If you are LEO you might find they will work with you.

Great Company
Great People
Great Product

You can't hit what you can't see.

Best to call them directly I guess?

It would be my pleasure to work with you within your budget.
I am out of the store till Monday, but if you can wait till then, please give me a call and I'll stir something up for you that will fit your needs and not create eye strain

It would be my pleasure to work with you within your budget.
I am out of the store till Monday, but if you can wait till then, please give me a call and I'll stir something up for you that will fit your needs and not create eye strain

Sure!

I will get in touch with you Monday.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I paid like $40 for a set of Barska 10-30x50 from gander mountain and to be honest, I'm quite impressed. They weigh about the same as my Bushnell 12x50s, that I paid $1250 for, but I have a zoom to 30x! They look decent from 10-25 but 30x gets a little dim, but for $40 who cares. They come with a strap, lens caps, and case too.

I just googled them and I see overstock has them for $30. They get great reviews all over the net as well. Everyone should have a pair of these just thrown in their vehicle. If they get stolen, it's not the end of the world. I also have the Barska spotter that goes to I think 100x. It was a few hundred. It's a POS so avoid it if you happen to run across it.

a good number of Zeiss Jena binoculars, ranging from 8x to 10x models, were produced after WWII years on the DDR_rugged, heavy, but not cumbersome, they have fine quality lenses and craftmanship,and are really appreciated for hunting use_ isn't so hard find them on the used-market_ I have bought mine on the net some year ago for circa your suggested ranging price: even if well used, I'm not disappointed_ they don't have the collector's value of real WWII Zeiss, nor the retail price of today's Zeiss, but they perform flawlessly their function_hope can help

Last edited:
How about these focus free binoculars? Steiner has some good ones. And Bushnell ones are supposedly good too...