• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision $1000 budget for NV

Helidriver

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I don't have a need for a NV weapon sight but I would like something to take camping with me. Since this is not a "need" and just a toy $1k is my limit. I will admit I don't know much about NV other than using it a little in the Corps. Is there anything decent in my price range? I have no idea what is junk and what's good.

granted I'm no expert, but I wouldn't mess with anything short of a quality 3rd gen tube like a PVS-14. And you're talking about $3k worth for that. Don't even look at thermal imagers or your bank account will scream :)

Save up. $1k will get you a helmet and shroud.

If you're buying >$1k nightvision gear, you're going to be very very disappointed even knowing its going to probably suck.

I don't have a need for a NV weapon sight but I would like something to take camping with me. Since this is not a "need" and just a toy $1k is my limit. I will admit I don't know much about NV other than using it a little in the Corps. Is there anything decent in my price range? I have no idea what is junk and what's good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it's hard to know what you consider junk or not. Like anything, you get what you pay for, and 1k is not going to get you near the level of performance of a higher end device. Some folks say that anything less than the best out there is junk. I tend to disagree, but it's all about what you want the device for and what level of performance you want/need. I would never recommend a 1k weapon sight to anyone who uses it for their livelihood like military or law enforcement professionals, but for someone who wants to go camping and have fun with a toy, a 1k weapon sight can be great.

If you really want to stay under 1k, then you are basically limiting yourself to Gen 1 or digital. Some of the newer digital devices like the ATN X-Sight or the Sightmark Photon give very good results for the price point. If you want traditional night vision, then the Pulsar Sentinel is one of the best for under 1k. If you can go slightly over 1k, then your options open up a little more with some lower end Gen 2 being a possibility. The ATN Night Arrow Gen 2 can be had for $1.3k.

Make sure and also get a quality IR illuminator with a 1k budget. They are even more important to have acceptable performance on lower end devices.

Last edited:
granted I'm no expert, but I wouldn't mess with anything short of a quality 3rd gen tube like a PVS-14. And you're talking about $3k worth for that. Don't even look at thermal imagers or your bank account will scream :)

This, I have used cheap nvg before,brother got some $500 thing for Xmas, anywho it was gen 1 and once you had your naked eye night vision you can pretty much out perform a gen 1. It's not until gen 3 and newer that things turn different. I have used everything from pvs-14s to NVS-9s.

Everything you can do with gen 1s you could use regular binos at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yore probably getting the idea.....$1k night vision will be "junk" as you call it. If you can save up $1k, keep saving until you reach $3.5k and get a good quality monocular (PVS14). Use the time to research the NV units and associated gear. TNVC is a great source to learn.

If you don't want to spend that much, do yourself a favor and spend your $1k on something other than night vision.

^
Like a high powered strobe flashlight to blind the shit out of the intruder before you waste him with a fuck ton of 'Murica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gen 2 is very usable and cheaper, I have a Gen 2 SHP unit that rivals Gen 3 in all conditions but complete moonless over cast nights. Moon light or a starry night and it's good to go. I would look into a good Gen 2 unit, you should be able to get a mum monocular in gen 2 for a pretty good price. IRRC I think I seen them for about $1,800 or so. If you can't pony up to at least Gen 2 keep your money. I don't follow too many threads mentioning Gen 1 but I did see something recently about a Gen 1 Armasight unit and a decent IR illuminator that was good to about 150 yards or so but I don't remember where I seen it at...

I was in the same place you are and decided to wait and save my money .... even considered selling a kidney. It's an expensive hobby but listen to the advice you are getting.

A gen 2 D300 is anywhere between 1,275 to 1,400 depending which tube and where you buy it from. If you want to use it in all condtionns add another $100 for an illuminator...

ETA get with delta4-3 he can sqare you away with a gen 2 unit...

Stuff less than $1k is not junk, but it is not very good either. It all depends on what you want to do with it. I feel fortunate to have shot the current generation high dollar NV and Thermal optics that are in the $30K plus range. I've even hung out on the timer admiring the sight picture at times. I've also used the $3-$5K range and the under $1K range stuff as well. At the CTC match, I got to CRO the stage with a CCR rifle with a top of the line NV optic and I spent a good deal of time looking through it. Cases of ammo and magazines taxed my self-control, but I managed.

With a quality IR laser/IR illumination, you can do pretty well shooting out to about 200 yards at known targets with Gen 1 NV. For instance, one of these: Laser Systems - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes,Laser Sights by Burris Optics with a $200 to $500 Gen 1 NV monocular. I am able to shoot rifle targets on the range to 300 yards with this type of set-up, but it is in a berm setting on a closed range. Up close and personal, maybe good to 50 yards. Poor man's NV.

BUT, the ability to specifically identify targets with Gen 1 is very difficult. If you are in a blind hunting coyotes or pigs, heck the cheap stuff is not bad out to 100 yards or so...But the Laser Genetics type systems are better, have better ID and cost less. I made a 350 yard shot on a Coyote with one of these (Night Vision, Green Lasers for Law Enforcement | Military | EMT | Laser Genetics). They are however visible to humans.

To goof around and shoot known targets, sure. To hunt, probably not the best, but passable. For defensive purposes, you got to spend the $.

Stuff less than $1k is not junk, but it is not very good either. It all depends on what you want to do with it....

To goof around and shoot known targets, sure. To hunt, probably not the best, but passable. For defensive purposes, you got to spend the $.

Well said.

The only under $1k unit I would recommend is the Vampire for $700. It will give you 250 yards or so with a $80 illuminator.

NiteSite Wolf and or Eagle. Clips onto back of most scopes. $1250 is the most expensive unit they have and boast 550 yrd identification. Use promo code HFAC and you save shipping costs.

Dave

Keep your eye out for an Envis M703E monocular. They are gen 3 and sell for $1100-1500. They use a MX-10160 pattern tube which can be use in a PVS-14 or similar housing. These used tubes which didn't make Aviation grade for what ever reason (spots in wrong area, blems, etc.). The monocular was made for use by military aviators as part of their E&E package.

They have an excellent front lens which can be used if you upgrade to a NV Depot Micro housing. The tubes vary, so you can get a spectacular autogated unit with minimal spots or a run of the mill units. But all are pretty good for the most part.

If you want a toy to play with, check out the Gen-X digital monoculars. They run $80-100 and work very well for the money. It isn't a gen 3 milspec unit by any means, but for a $100, they get you seeing in the dark. They do eat batteries, so make sure you have spares when you go camping. I bought one for my nephew and his kids to play with. I only got to play with it for a few nights, but was impressed with it. I didn't get the chance to see if it worked with rechargeable batteries.