• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $1000 scope overkill for AR-15 platform?

cttbax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
Augusta GA
www.1911market.com
I have a 20" LaRue Stealth upper,lower with 2 stage trigger and PRS stock... Suppressed... I use it mostly for plinking 100-300 and this gun will see some 300-500 yd varmint hunting when I head out west to see the old man.

So I am looking at either the USO ST-10 or possibly a NF NXS 2.5-10x32. I like nice scopes.. but be honest.. is this overkill for this platform. Should I just super sniper this beotch and go with it?

Re: $1000 scope overkill for AR-15 platform?

You are posting this on a website where members have S&B's on .22's.

Get the best glass you can afford that fits the bill. The glass is a one time purchase and may sit atop many weapons in its lifetime. Every time I went cheap on glass, I regretted it, good glass you will feel the pain when you purchase it but will always be glad you did, IF you can afford it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are posting this on a website where members have S&B's on .22's. </div></div>

lol... yeah.. we all have the Gucci Glass sickness.

I am looking at the trijicon accupoint series threads right now...hmmmmmmm

$1000 is my budget right now

Over kill? It shoots bullets doesn't it(?), there is no over kill...

Step 1. define your needs, step 2. define your wants, step 3. define your budget based on financial constraints and results from steps 1 and 2, step 4. buy the optic that fills your needs and wants while staying in your budget.

1. Needs: Shoot 100-500 yards at small 2 feet high furry bastards
2. MOA adjustments, Ilumination, ablity to range with reticule.
3. $1000
4. HELP! LOL

send me 1300 and I'll send you the perfect scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send me 1300 and I'll send you the perfect scope </div></div>

Clue me in as to what it is...

The Nightforce you mention would fit the bill very, very well. Dont forget the 3-9 FFP mil/mil Super Sniper.

They would do fine but since you are shooting smaller furry creatures, the 10 power might be a little hard to see a varmit head sticking out of a hole at longer distances. I would go with a little more magnification but not to much. A Luepy T/LR 6.5X20x40 or 50 with 30 mm tube would do nicely and not break you at the bank. Some people would be fine with 10 power max but I have found that I prefer more magnification when shooting varmits at longer ranges. The ideal scope in my opinion would be a NF 5.5x22x50 but they are higher $$$$ and higher than the luepy.
.....Just my opinion.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Needs: Shoot 100-500 yards at small 2 feet high furry bastards
3. $1000
4. HELP! LOL </div></div>

IOR scopes can be had used for between $600-1000, Leupold MK4s can be had used for $700-$1000, either will work for your needs. There are a hand full of scopes in the EE here at the moment that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase if I was in your shoes.

I have a Burris FF2 4.5X14-42(w/ Larue LT104) on my Noveske 6.8. It has the ballistic plex reticle and does fine out to 300 yeards. I'm sure further out would work but I don't have the range yet. I just could not see dropping $1K on a scope. Hell, I can build another AR for that. Here is a link for that reticle: http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html

I do plan to get a NF for my .308 later on down the road.

A 3x9 SS FFP will work yah. They are great scopes for the money. I have 2 of them and they work well. Do I have them on my varmit rig? Nope - that has a SN3 3.2-17 on it ... Overkill? Hell no - I like to see the hits up close!

I agree ... get the best you can afford ... if what you really want is say $1500 and your budget currently is $1000 ... wait and save $500 more. Saved for a while for my second USO and many many times while waiting I considered getting a cheaper scope so I could have it sooner ... the wait is worth it.

My 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 20" LaRue Stealth upper,lower with 2 stage trigger and PRS stock... Suppressed... I use it mostly for plinking 100-300 and this gun will see some 300-500 yd varmint hunting when I head out west to see the old man.

So I am looking at either the USO ST-10 or possibly a NF NXS 2.5-10x32. I like nice scopes.. but be honest.. is this overkill for this platform. Should I just super sniper this beotch and go with it?

</div></div>I am building an SPR type rifle on an 18" Larue Stealth upper, and I went with the Nightforce 2.5-10 (more fitting on an AR than a fixed 10x, IMO.)

If that answers your question!

A Larue Stealth is a NICE upper. It's not like you are putting $1300 glass on a Vulcan...

Dollars are getting harder to come by. For what you described, the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 would be adequate and it's under $500.

John

hmmm maybe I should keep my Falcon Menace 5-25x56mm

I just want to stay MOA, that is the only gripe on the falcon

I put a 2.5-10x32 NF on my 16" suppressed POF. It works great. I used it to drop a baby fox at 575 on the first round. Great scope for close in and mid range.

I use the same model scope on my 10/22.

-dan

In your budget range, you might also want to take a look at the IOR scopes (Liberty Optics here on the hide should be able to give you a price on them)

What I would do if it was me however, is if the Falcon 5-25 scope you have works okay and you can live with it, I would keep using it and keep saving up a bit longer and wait for a really good deal on a used S&B or USO scope to come up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...So I am looking at either the USO ST-10 or possibly a NF NXS 2.5-10x32. I like nice scopes.. but be honest.. is this overkill for this platform. Should I just super sniper this beotch and go with it?

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are posting this on a website where members have S&B's on .22's. </div></div>

Lol... Savage!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper524</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...
I agree ... get the best you can afford ... if what you really want is say $1500 and your budget currently is $1000 ... wait and save $500 more. Saved for a while for my second USO and many many times while waiting I considered getting a cheaper scope so I could have it sooner ... the wait is worth it.

My 2 cents </div></div>

Very good advice there Sapper...

I am in the same boat, saving for my first USO, being tempted by many good buys on lesser scopes, then sleeping on it and waiting, flipping, flopping, etc. When I really think about it, I could easily get by with something less than top quality.

I love optics, so I'm starting to lean back towards the good glass again, even if it's truly a nicer optic than the rifle merits. Keep saving...

Heck, on that note I'm going to go have seconds on my watered down tomato soup and soda crackers!
laugh.gif

I'm putting a Nightforce on my new AR build. When I can afford it..

Get what you can afford. SOmetimes it hurts but buy the best quality you can. I just spent $1900 on my 3-gum/multigun optic.

I have an IOR 4-14x50 on my Varmint AR and I am very happy with it, shooting varmints (IMO Clear Glass/small Reticle the MP8 Dot is the best Ive found for this, FFP scopes are not good for PDog shooting reticle is like a fence post when power is turned up). Heres some pics of my setup. Cheap scopes with cheap glass SUCK,,,mirage runs bad on hot days in the PDog town. Again JMO but I do a hell of allot of PDog shooting

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...165#Post1633165

i don't think it's over kill at all, you want the best glass you can get for your rifle. it just depends on how serious you are about the rig, but i've mounted a lot of nightforce scopes on a lot of ar style rifles and it's never a bad route to go. heck for varmint hunting, depending on the size of the critter you might want a little more magnification

I put a USO 1.8x10 Tpal on mine and love it. Power range is awesome for the work it does.

May not be in your budget, but the NF is just above your $1000 mark isn't it.

FWIW, had I not already had a USO on my 308, I would have opted for the Nightforce also. (I replaced the Nightforce on my 308 with the USO 3.2x17) I just wanted conformity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Get the best glass you can afford that fits the bill.</span> </div></div>

This sums it up perfectly. For the record, I have a NF 1-4 on my RECON:

kb4yg3.jpg

If you are the type that goes to the desert (or woods) and blasts a case of ammo into a berm and call it "shooting" save your money.

If you spend time and money setting up an accurate rifle, then feed it accurate ammo and train to shoot it then there is no such thing as "overkill" on glass.

Pick the best tool for the job and you will get the best results, AR's are no exception to this.

I have 4 ACOG's on my 4 AR's and don't think you can spend enough money on quality glass. I'd go for the NightForce if I had it to dom over.

If I could swing it my 16" AR15 would be running a 1.8-10 USO.

LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are the type that goes to the desert (or woods) and blasts a case of ammo into a berm and call it "shooting" save your money.

If you spend time and money setting up an accurate rifle, then feed it accurate ammo and train to shoot it then there is no such thing as "overkill" on glass.

Pick the best tool for the job and you will get the best results, AR's are no exception to this. </div></div>

Yeah I am not much of a berm shooter...lol..

I picked the LaRue upper for the LW50 1/8 twist barrel to shoot 69-77 grain bullets... I do load up some cheap 55gr FMJ's to beat the steel up a bit.. but for now I am shooting groups with this gun and intend to rip up Pdogs in Wyoming where my Dad lives.

So I guess I should save my pennys and pick up a nice USO... hmmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Needs: Shoot 100-500 yards at small 2 feet high furry bastards
3. $1000

A used 2.5-10x32 NPR2 will fit the bill very well. I recently traded into one and put it on my 20" upper. I love it, I have no plans to change it out anytime soon.

I've used it with night vision and it does great, on 10x the NPR2 allows for easy hold-overs hitting 12x12 steel plates out to 600yd with M193 cloned ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Needs: Shoot 100-500 yards at small 2 feet high furry bastards
3. $1000

A used 2.5-10x32 NPR2 will fit the bill very well. I recently traded into one and put it on my 20" upper. I love it, I have no plans to change it out anytime soon.

I've used it with night vision and it does great, on 10x the NPR2 allows for easy hold-overs hitting 12x12 steel plates out to 600yd with M193 cloned ammo.

</div></div>

I am working a deal on a NXS 3-15x50 NPR1 right now..... crossed fingers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the best glass you can afford that fits the bill. The glass is a one time purchase and may sit atop many weapons in its lifetime. Every time I went cheap on glass, I regretted it, good glass you will feel the pain when you purchase it but will always be glad you did, IF you can afford it. </div></div>

+1 for the Captain

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess I should save my pennys and pick up a nice USO... hmmmm </div></div>Not the direction I would go. I like USO scopes a lot, and I considered them, but the reason I went with the 2.5-10 was because of the weight difference. I guess if you won't ever be carrying it anywhere, that is one thing, BUT the 2.5-10 keeps the reasonable for the build. The 3.5-15 is nice, but weights twice as much. Food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I could swing it my 16" AR15 would be running a 1.8-10 USO. </div></div>

+1

I personally wouldn't buy a scope that costs more then about half of what the rifle costs (after upgrading it a bit), but then again, that's cause I can't go around asking if $1000 scope is overkill,
grin.gif
. If I could though, I'd say hell no it ain't overkill!

I have a SN3S with mildots on my SPR-ish AR. Put it in a LaRue so I can get to my irons quickly if anything fails. 1.8-10 is the ticket for most things on an AR in my opinion. If I were doing it over, I would get the covered low profile turrets instead of the M3's that are on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They would do fine but since you are shooting smaller furry creatures, the 10 power might be a little hard to see a varmit head sticking out of a hole at longer distances. I would go with a little more magnification but not to much. A Luepy T/LR 6.5X20x40 or 50 with 30 mm tube would do nicely and not break you at the bank. Some people would be fine with 10 power max but I have found that I prefer more magnification when shooting varmits at longer ranges. The ideal scope in my opinion would be a NF 5.5x22x50 but they are higher $$$$ and higher than the luepy.
.....Just my opinion.....SmokeRolls </div></div>

This... I bought a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 NPR1 used off the EE>... should be here by friday.. I will post pics soon!!!!!

tHANKS SMOKE!

ok, now gotta clean the coffee off the monitor.

I have a 4-32 acog ghost ring/red dot on a 6.8 stagg; luv it up close 100-200 yards, quick shots. I did kill a caribou at 6-7 hundred yards this fall, but ghost ring covered entire bou clear up over his horns. I was able to hit him twice out of 5 quick shots, shooting freehand, standing; so I guess I was lucky. I was aiming over his back. Hit him 2nd shot in leg and gut shot him on 5th shot. Finally killed something worth eating with 6.8.

That acog cost me $1060 and I'd buy it all over again; money well spent. I really like the illumination at night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zhurh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 4-32 acog ghost ring/red dot on a 6.8 stagg; luv it up close 100-200 yards, quick shots. I did kill a caribou at 6-7 hundred yards this fall, but ghost ring covered entire bou clear up over his horns. I was able to hit him twice out of 5 quick shots, shooting freehand, standing; soshot in leg and gut shot him on 5th shot. Finally killed I guess I was lucky. I was aiming over his back. Hit him 2nd something worth eating with 6.8.

That acog cost me $1060 and I'd buy it all over again; money well spent. I really like the illumination at night. </div></div>

That is not a story I would brag about.

And how do you know it was 6 or 700 yards? It could have been 400 if you didn't have a rangefinder.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zhurh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 4-32 acog ghost ring/red dot on a 6.8 stagg; luv it up close 100-200 yards, quick shots. I did kill a caribou at 6-7 hundred yards this fall, but ghost ring covered entire bou clear up over his horns. I was able to hit him twice out of 5 quick shots, shooting freehand, standing; soshot in leg and gut shot him on 5th shot. Finally killed I guess I was lucky. I was aiming over his back. Hit him 2nd something worth eating with 6.8.

That acog cost me $1060 and I'd buy it all over again; money well spent. I really like the illumination at night. </div></div>

That is not a story I would brag about.

And how do you know it was 6 or 700 yards? It could have been 400 if you didn't have a rangefinder.

-dan </div></div>

Agree dude... that's not the most sportsmanlike tale to tell. Not very respectful the animal sir.

We have all taken shots we wished were better in the past I am sure, but I sure as hell don't bring em up in conversation.