• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $1000 scope overkill for AR-15 platform?

Re: $1000 scope overkill for AR-15 platform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are posting this on a website where members have S&B's on .22's. </div></div>

ok, now gotta clean the coffee off the monitor. </div></div>

He's serious.....are you shocked?

And to the sharer of the caribou/acog story: I'd laugh if you were maimed in a freak caribou accident. A true hunter would bitchslap you for thinking of taking that <span style="text-decoration: line-through">shot</span>burst short of a survival situatuion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zhurh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 4-32 acog ghost ring/red dot on a 6.8 stagg; luv it up close 100-200 yards, quick shots. I did kill a caribou at 6-7 hundred yards this fall, but ghost ring covered entire bou clear up over his horns. I was able to hit him twice out of 5 quick shots, shooting freehand, standing; so I guess I was lucky. I was aiming over his back. Hit him 2nd shot in leg and gut shot him on 5th shot. Finally killed something worth eating with 6.8.

That acog cost me $1060 and I'd buy it all over again; money well spent. I really like the illumination at night. </div></div>

Ahh, a gleaming beacon of sportsmanship every hunter should aspire to...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zhurh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 4-32 acog ghost ring/red dot on a 6.8 stagg; luv it up close 100-200 yards, quick shots. I did kill a caribou at 6-7 hundred yards this fall, but ghost ring covered entire bou clear up over his horns. I was able to hit him twice out of 5 quick shots, shooting freehand, standing; so I guess I was lucky. I was aiming over his back. Hit him 2nd shot in leg and gut shot him on 5th shot. Finally killed something worth eating with 6.8.

That acog cost me $1060 and I'd buy it all over again; money well spent. I really like the illumination at night. </div></div>

Ahh, a gleaming beacon of sportsmanship every hunter should aspire to... </div></div>

lolz!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are posting this on a website where members have S&B's on .22's. </div></div>

ok, now gotta clean the coffee off the monitor. </div></div>

He's serious.....are you shocked?
</div></div>

No, it wouldn't have been funny if it wasn't true, it was just the presentation that had me chuckling for a couple of minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are posting this on a website where members have S&B's on .22's.</div></div> That about sums it up right there. LOL!!

It's bad when I put my 3.8-22X USO on top of my 10/22 because it was my extra scope I has laying around. Much better now though, a Leupy 4.5-14 VX-III is mounted on the 10/22. My ARs sports 2.5-10X NXS mounted on LT-104 for the mid-range M6A3 and on Cutsom 6x45 models, they get the 5.5-22X and 3.5-15X...
Just picked up a SCAR 16s, so a 2.5-10X os headed for it.

Buy what you can afford.. The fun part of shooting is seeing your target explode or react, seeing through great Glass is all part of the experiece

You guys must be a bunch of city sport hunters, we live subsistence in rural Ak and it's all about fresh meat. What do think the caribou are here for? They are here to provide meat for man.

If I had taken the 30-378, would have been one shot. I took the new 6.8 and had a long shot, I'd do it again too.

We've shot lots of bou when we caught them on the road too, drop as many as you can haul back, grab flopping horns & cut throats, swing gutted bou up over trk bed; then pass out to the older folks in village that can't get out to get their caribou no more.

No offense, I must live in a different world than all you and I'm glad too. Also a vet who was drafted in 1970, # was 31 that year. I saw alot worse in Army than gut shooting caribou too. What are you jokers talking about?

Keep on truckin !
grin.gif

Lower 48ers' have no clue or just didn't notice yur 10-20

Just got a NF 5.5-22x50, Zero Stop, high speed turrets an my Colt 6721. You will never be sorry with quality glass. Learned the hard way "cheap comes out expensive"

I put a NF NXS 2.5-10x32 on my coyote hunting AR last week.
I like it.

Im running a 2.5x16x42 Bushy Elite 6500. In my mind its great glass for the price tag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zhurh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys must be a bunch of city sport hunters, we live subsistence in rural Ak and it's all about fresh meat. What do think the caribou are here for? They are here to provide meat for man.

If I had taken the 30-378, would have been one shot. I took the new 6.8 and had a long shot, I'd do it again too.

We've shot lots of bou when we caught them on the road too, drop as many as you can haul back, grab flopping horns & cut throats, swing gutted bou up over trk bed; then pass out to the older folks in village that can't get out to get their caribou no more.

No offense, I must live in a different world than all you and I'm glad too. Also a vet who was drafted in 1970, # was 31 that year. I saw alot worse in Army than gut shooting caribou too. What are you jokers talking about? </div></div>

Not that so much as the way you waste ammo,spray and pray and Gut Shoot an animal with piss poor marksmanship rather than one clean shot.A Feedlot Butcher would do better than that.

Back to the OT.Why is it that some people don't think an AR rates first class glass ?

1-4 NXS on my 3 gun rig, 2.5-10 NXS on my AR10, 3.5-15-56 on the 6.5 Grendel, I think they all fit pretty good

Uncle Sam puts a $1,000 ACOG on most M4's I see on the nightly news. Matt33 also put one on his AR. I don't consider this overkill.

A quality optic is like money in the bank to me.

i agree matt33 when ur life in on the line no amount of money really matters and the acog is reliable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can afford it, it's not overkill. </div></div>

Exactly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can afford it, it's not overkill. </div></div>

Exactly! </div></div> What these guy's said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uncle Sam puts a $1,000 ACOG on most M4's I see on the nightly news. <span style="font-weight: bold">Matt33 also put one on his AR.</span> I don't consider this overkill.

A quality optic is like money in the bank to me. </div></div> Thanks for the laugh. I've never seen anyone refer to themselves on a forum in the third-person.

Good point on the ACOG. The US Mil literally has hundreds of thousands of them. I doubt they spent $1000 each on them when buying in that much bulk, but it is definitely a $1000+ optic on the civilian market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uncle Sam puts a $1,000 ACOG on most M4's I see on the nightly news. <span style="font-weight: bold">Matt33 also put one on his AR.</span> I don't consider this overkill.

A quality optic is like money in the bank to me. </div></div> Thanks for the laugh. I've never seen anyone refer to themselves on a forum in the third-person.

Good point on the ACOG. The US Mil literally has hundreds of thousands of them. I doubt they spent $1000 each on them when buying in that much bulk, but it is definitely a $1000+ optic on the civilian market. </div></div>
I'm here all week...

I have an NF 2-10x on one of my AR's and a Leupold Mark 4 2-8x on the other one...

once you use good quality glass, you will never buy cheap glass again... for anything...