• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yard hits

Re: 1000 yard hits

Sir,
Thank for your input because you are correct in what you say about the sandy part. We use that on our lower sight in berm at 1000 yards. Our upper berm is dirt with LOTS of rocks/nature dirt. No breaks there other than direct hits.
Now this proves what I'm saying. Our 600 yard berm is cinders from a local power plant (AEP). it is exactly the consistancy of volacnic rock....ranging from a BB..to a golf ball. I can tell you I've seen HUNDREDS of birds flip in the air STILL intact after a .5" miss. It takes a direct hit to bust them.
Birds are very tough in that sense. Forgive me for being so serious about this but I'm trying to clear it up because after shooting at the little buggers for 10 years I would know.
I will get some video to shed some light on this subject and put in another post as education/introduction to busting clay birds at 600 1000 and one mile.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Im with you bro, but if we are going to talk about 1/4 min rifles at one mile, I would be much more comfortable if the rds were going through a well defined circle on paper. <span style="color: #CC0000">Thats all I have continue on</span>. </div></div>

I sure hope this means you will finally shut the f**k up and let an interesting thread continue to be as such.

Sorry, continue on Mr. Sarver.

video would be awesome. i believe you are doing what you say you are, but video is always fun.

stick a few clays(or just trace a 4" circle) on some cardboard at a mile, and then post pics of what you are getting. i would love to see it because i think it would be a great motivation for me and others as to what is possible at those ranges.

"Im with you bro, but if we are going to talk about 1/4 min rifles at one mile, I would be much more comfortable if the rds were going through a well defined circle on paper. Thats all I have continue on."

this is a good comment, and tom, i don't think it warranted much response. i agree with what you're saying about the clays breaking, but i just think talking about it much more is taking away from this thread. just shoot on paper at a mile, and post some video and pics.

i can't make it to your place to learn directly from you as i live in oregon, but we could learn a lot from some videos. i would very much appreciate it.

thanks again for posting on here...

Tom, how about this, just shoot the same size circles on paper for the folks and if you go all day putting a bullet into those little 1/4 min circles at a mile I will be the first to admit that you have no peers in the world of shooterdom and should immediately be inducted into the Long Range Shooters Hall of Fame if one exists. If one dont exist we should start it up and you should be its first inductee.

Well, I believe you, Tom.

I'm somewhat new to this and, I was a High Power shooter as a Jr. and, a smallbore shooter before that.... I even made the president's 100 in 1984 as a Jr shooter.

I'm new to tactical rifles but, I have some fairly nice gear now and, I'm reloading and working on getting better.

You sure are right about apples and oranges too. Not much about positional shooting applies to supported heavy rifles except a few things and to a much less degree.

I'm working on the reloading process and consistancy there seems to matter the most... well, that and reading conditions.

I suppose some shooters can't squeeze a trigger or get a natural point of aim etc. ( Hell, if you can't do that then, you have NO business trying to hit anything at long range )

I still have a lot to learn and, that's why I'm here so, just know that there are those of us that do listen and pay attention to what our betters have to say about this stuff.

I seem to be able to hold MOA at 1000yds right now but, I know that there are areas that I'm not addressing with my reloading currently and, I'm going to need a new barrel soon in my rifle so, I'll work on the loading while shooting the last rounds out of the old bbl and, start with new habits on the new barrel.

Oh, CK this is what is so neat about having a range in the back yard. When someone makes statements that dont seem quite right concerning what certian rifles or bullets will or will not do it is a simple matter to go upstairs and pick up the combo in question, step outside and see what the laws of physics has to say obout it. [/quote]

No, need to explain to me. I'm one of the lucky ones that has a mile range in my back yard and 6 months out of teh year a 2500m range. Hence the coment. Also, Tom I wasn't slamming you with my comment but I can say with 100% certainty there are place I know that the winds will school you and you wont hit that clay on the first shot.

BTW I look forward to making it down there to shoot you one day and it was a pleasure to talk with you at SHOT.

I would say if there was a Precision Shooters Hall of Fame I would be in it...DUH..lol!
If you knew my stats like the most Screamers shot TWO world records...GROUP and SCORE ..the best in the 40 years of the sport..notice I said SCORE too?????? Aggregate wins year after year I could go on but who cares. The point here is your missing most of what I said. I never said I could hit clay birds at a one mile shot for shot on command everytime I pick up my rifle. However that day I did and there where many other days I have hit birds and a 12"x12" steel target on the first try at one mile.
Please, SLOW done..turn off your envy button and get a clue. Or like I said come visit us so you can see for yourself because even if I post a video you will claim we/I cheated to accomplish it. Your original post eluded to me cheating RIGGING the set up break birds and then you saying YOU DO GOOD WORK. I have 8 years worth of CONFIRMED one shot hits..hits..HERE..some on the second or third or tenth... yes in my own back yard..with dozens of folks watching and LEARNING. I guess you want to challenge what they've seen too? I done with replying to your posts. I'm going to spare the crowd with this useless attemp to convince someone who obviously has NO clue of who he is talking to. Feel free to PM me and will take it up there..or better yet come visit us.
Theres no need to have hard feelings toward each other you may just learn something. Unless your one of those guys who already know it all and have seen it and and apparantly you have'nt...yet.

I understood. No worries. The problem as I've said before is posts get taken out of txt on here and if we able to communicate verbally this stuff would'nt happen. Yes, it was a pleasure speaking with you at SHOT. Wish I would have had more time but WOW..what a place. Looking forward to meeting you again an doing some shooting. I would love to come out there.

This I can help you with. If you can ever plan a day to come out to TVP we will solve some issues and get your MOA to shrink some.
David Whitson (SHARK) suppressors shoots and trains here as well as a few other good ol' boys form Texas. maybe you can hook up wiht one of them and head out. Or I could come there if you have a place to shoot and train. I love to travel.

Take care

I was at TVP back in Oct..I was behind the rifle and Tom was spotting.I had 12.5 m.o.a left wind on the rifle.I shot 7 shots in a row that was .5m.o.a.or better at a mile,we were waiting 15min.between shots to confirm cold bore.There were many more hits on 12 inch steel that were .5m.o.a. or better.Tom can confirm this.After spending the day and talking between shots with Tom believe me it can be done and he can do what he said.You just have to gain knowledge in all phases.Be thankful, he is willing to share. Tom Everhart

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This I can help you with. If you can ever plan a day to come out to TVP we will solve some issues and get your MOA to shrink some.
David Whitson (SHARK) suppressors shoots and trains here as well as a few other good ol' boys form Texas. maybe you can hook up wiht one of them and head out. Or I could come there if you have a place to shoot and train. I love to travel.

Take care </div></div>

If you ever get down to Texas, I shoot at TacPro all the time... also, whenever Tiger Valley is available and Ben and or T.J. have something going, I'll be there.

I'm ALWAYS wanting to go and shoot so, if you are in Texas, let me know!!!

Maybe I can shed some light on busting clays at long distances in OH and OK. I've been to both states and the soil in OH was like potting soil, just as cushy as could be and not really capable of fragmenting a round. The soil I saw in OK on the other hand was more like glorified gravel, how any farms survive there is a testament to the farmers. I doubt that the rocky soil I saw in OK is everywhere in the state but what I did see would be pretty likely to fragment a round. This may explain how Augustus and Tom are getting different results.

Augustus I am sorry for the loss of your friend and I truly hope that if the suspect was taken alive that he gets to complete the circuit at your state house.

I have shot a 7inch x 7 inch plate at 1 kilometer and I dont consider myself a great shot or win reader -If Tom Sarver says he can crack clay birds at 1000-1760 yards I believe him and I will do it as well on my next shoot at 1kilometer -if he can do it so can I -the winners attitude

So, I'm confused??? Was this a d*** measuring contest or a miss understanding? LOL Either way it is a great read.

Shooting distance is an art form as much as it is math and variables. I'm glad this forum is here so people like me can hear and learn from a vast group of people.

To all you gents, keep up the good work!

Not sure if it was or not but, it was a GREAT thread.

I've since upgraded my loading process paying much more attention to brass prep and, I just don't have flyer shots anymore.... If I miss a 10" plate at 1000yds, it's totally my own fault ( usually missing a small environmental change )

Last time out, wind was blowing from 12-25mph going from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock at 1000yds and switching fast and I was spanking that 10" plate over and over. My rifle is currently shooting about .3" groups at 100yds but, it's getting close to the end of it's life. ( I've already ordered another one ) When it's calm I shoot at 4" skeet on the berm these days with pretty good success.

I've even shot them through the center and they don't break except for the hole in the center of them... Hell, I've shot a couple that didn't even move after being hit ( with a 300wm shooting 208gr amax bullets ) I have had really close misses that flip them over but, they just land somewhere else... don't know for sure if any have broken by a close miss or not. ( as they are broken and, I count them as a hit )
smile.gif

Anyway, it's threads like this that inspire me to go further. Not sure what else I can do except practice, practice, practice with wind/mirage etc.

I loved the match portion of this thread...