• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yard Mosin

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    For the last year or so I have been working on my brother-in-law to get him into the long distance game. He started out with an AR and a stock Mosin.

When I hit a cold-bore shot at 950 yards on steel with my .308 in front of him about six months ago, he was hooked.I told him even with a limited budget we could get his gun shooting almost as well at that distance and under.

He got his bolt-bent on the Nagant, got a scope mount and a cheap Bushnell 3200 with turrets. I helped him sight it in and ran some dope for the 147 grain East-bloc surplus ammo he had bought. After rezeroing at an elevation where my parents live, I hit the 710 yard gong three times in a row with it and then we moved to 1015 yards.

At that elevation, the bullets were going subsonic around 980 yds, so they were tumbling BAD but he did hit the gong twice out of about 10 shots with it!

I think with some handloaded, higher BC bullets this thing would do 1000 all day long. Maybe even with some 180 grain surplus stuff. It might be a fun project to load up some SMK's if I can find brass for the 7.62X54R and see how many times in a row we could hit at 1000. Pretty impressive for a $350 rifle/optic combo! And...40 year old surplus. Every time we take the thing to the range, guys stop and stare, especially when we start hitting plates at 600 yards! It's very funny to watch the wise-ass grins dry up!

Re: 1000 yard Mosin

Yep. Those old girls can shoot! The longest shot I've pulled so far was about 700 yards. I could hit a prairie dog mound, but not the individual dogs. Sent a couple flying, though. With a more powerful scope (I was using an original 3.5x PU) and the right load, 1000 yards shouldn't be a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">video? </div></div>

I need to bring a video cam out the next time we go, but it probably won't be until spring. One more guy on youtube shooting 1000 yards!
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep. Those old girls can shoot! The longest shot I've pulled so far was about 700 yards. I could hit a prairie dog mound, but not the individual dogs. Sent a couple flying, though. With a more powerful scope (I was using an original 3.5x PU) and the right load, 1000 yards shouldn't be a problem. </div></div>

I have long dreamed of popping a prairie dog with my open-sighted mosin at 200 yards or so with a 180 grain soft point! That and at 1200 yards with the Edge!

Even with those 3.5 PU's it was pretty normal for Russians to kill at 600 yards or more in WW2.

Here's a recent video of my iron sight mosin at 500 yards

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FwwZwTplEiM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FwwZwTplEiM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Funny you should post that, Grizz. I was just watching it last night on YT.
    cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body">were you using the elevation on the rear sight? </div></div>

Yeah but I had to set it at the 400 mark because my front sight post is a bit low.

Verd, have you slugged the bore on that MN yet?

I have several and they range from .312 to .315

I can get decent groupings with my .312 Tula ex-sniper up to 200 yards, but the great thing about the .315 is that I have been able to resize some PRVI 8mm 198gn fmjbt bullets down to .315 using a lee sizing die and some alox. I have been able to punch out from 300-600 using those resized bullets over some H4350 but never tried 1000 as I dont have a large enough gong to see that far. If you are at .312-.314 then a .311 174gn SMK may be your best bet.

I have not started reloading for it yet, I was hoping to be able to shoot 175 SMK's but depending on the barrell I think those ".303" .311's might be better. I will have to slug em, gotta find some lead.

You might be able to get the 175 grain .308s to group (or any other .308, for that matter). I've had fairly decent luck with Nosler CC 175s, fired from a couple original PU snipers. However, it usually takes a .310-.312 bullet to really get them into their element.

If you can get your hands on it, get some 7n1 surplus 7.62x54, really sweet shooting stuff. I hear that Czech silver tip surplus is real nice too.

Finally got my 91/30 sporter to Manatee Gun Club two weeks ago for long range. Wind was gusting 15+, but still managed just over 3" groups at 300, then moved out to the steel at 565.

No problems with handloads, nor accuracy with the right rifle. No chrono yet, but based on the "ups" my MV was better than 2700 fps with 174 grain SMK's (.311) over 43.5 of Varget. A little more fine tuning and some more trigger time at 600, and I know it'll do 1000- it's up to me to hit the target...

IMAG0583.jpg

Nice set-up! Looking forward to some more range reports when you get a chance to shoot even farther!
    laugh.gif

We did alot to my brothers mosin, recrowned it beefed up the plastic stock with a metal rod and marine tex, and reworked the trigger to lighten the pull some. Turned out to be a very good rifle 800 yards and under its great haven't got it out any further

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got my 91/30 sporter to Manatee Gun Club two weeks ago for long range. Wind was gusting 15+, but still managed just over 3" groups at 300, then moved out to the steel at 565.
    IMAG0583.jpg
    </div></div>

What stock / scope mount are you using on yours? I've been trying to find a way to mount to mine that didn't involve removing the rear site piece.

dude, i love my mosin, i made mine on a bet after a buddy of mine was convinced that it was a POS gun, i said, "wanna bet" and 3 months later I had this.

376685_266155973430432_100001080939721_737002_712606404_n.jpg

If you want to find some good re-loadable brass you can always shoot Winchester. They make a good 7.62x54R