• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 Yard Setup

Mnhunter3982

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2013
Redwood Falls, Mn
I want to get into 1000 yard shooting. I would like to see if you had any ideas on rifles? I like the idea if a .308 or a .300 Win Mag. I reload already but not for either of these cartridges. Not a fan of Remington Rifles. I prefer detachable box magazines. I would like the barrel threaded.

Any ideas?

Why not a Remington? The 700 police in .308 would be a good rifle. I have one in 300 RUM and i have no complaints. If you are looking at a rifle under 1k, they are hard to beat. I may even change mine to .308 or just buy another one

The 110 BA does not come in 308 and is way too expensive.

It's the model 10 BA, the 110ba is only in 300wm and 338lm.
If you're looking for a factory rifle for precision, look more toward the model 12 LRP in 260 or 6.5 creed. The 6.5mm bullets are longer and flatter flying and have a distinct advantage, behind the right cartridge, over any bullet fired from a 308 win cartridge.
300wm will perform better than the 260/creed at 1k, but the added recoil and cost make out a little less practical. If you want 300wm, look into the 110 FCP hs precision.

6.5CM, 260, 7 rem mag will all run circles around a 308 at 1000.

I'd be quick and buy that custom CZ 550 in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Savage 12 LRP as stated above. I have a stock 6.5CM and it shoots lights out. Also, Remington 700 5R like the ones on Mile High Shooting's web site.

6.5mm instead of .308 might be worth considering.

I would like the rifle alone to cost less than $1000. I am a TEENAGER so the price is a factor. Strictly .308 or .300 Win Mag. Must double as a deer gun if possible.

6 Dasher is a great 600 and 1000 yard round. I edited my post though to reflect your want for a box mag and threaded barrel.

You can also get a Wyatt's trigger guard detachable mag assembly and convert it to a 5 or 10 round mag fed rifle for 250.00

I would like the rifle alone to cost less than $1000. I am a TEENAGER so the price is a factor. Strictly .308 or .300 Win Mag. Must double as a deer gun if possible.

Then 300wm. It'll take down almost anything and will be way more fun at 1k. 308 is a good round, but at 1k it's lofty trajectory and lower velocity makes it quite challenging to get a decent group.

If you don't like a hinged floor plate of a remington you can convert them to a 5 or 10 round detachable mag.

A Rem 700? I didn't see what you were reffering to?

He's talking about this

Wyatt's Outdoors Trigger Guard Detachable Mag Assembly Remington 700

You could also go with a Badger bottom metal both work fine.

Badger Ordnance M5 Trigger Guard Detachable Mag Assembly Remington 700

only if the reason you didn't want a Remington was just because of the hinged floor plate.

Here's another bottom metal that's also works fine

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...gton-700-bottom-metal-magazine-prod45195.aspx

edit

hope these links work

Last edited:
It is an expense but it should keep you within your budget of $1000 or so , You could go with the Remington police which already has a nice HS precision stock for about $900 and the bottom metal of $250 or $300.

It's a couple of hundred over but it will be a very nice set up for long range shooting and could be used as a duel role rifle for deer hunting.

just something to think about

Remington 700 will give you the most versatility. You can add whatever you like as you go. I wouldn't stray away from it just because of the floorplate. That can be fixed pretty easily. This sport is crazy expensive, but I'm sure it can be done on a budget. I just haven't figured out how yet! As others have mentioned, you can always add a DBM. I just sold a Rem 700 5R .308 barreled action, which is a pretty damn solid rifle out of the box. Otherwise, I would've cut you a good deal on it to help you get into long range shooting. I have a couple of odds and ends that you can have once you figure out what rifle you're getting. A Badger 20 MOA rail for Rem 700 SA, I'll give you some scope rings, and you can probably find a pretty good deal on a scope in the classifieds. Shoot me a PM. Camp out on the firearms for sale forum here on snipershide. You can always find a fair deal. Half the guys here seem to have some strange disease that makes them buy and sell rifles quite frequently (I fall into that half).

Oh yeah, and .308 probably isn't the best round to get out to 1000 yards effectively. Many have opinions on that one way or the other. Yes, you can get there with a .308, but based on everything I've heard and read it'll be considerably harder than other cartridges, such as the 300 Win Mag. Not saying 300 Win Mag is best either.

Oh yeah, and .308 probably isn't the best round to get out to 1000 yards effectively. Many have opinions on that one way or the other. Yes, you can get there with a .308, but based on everything I've heard and read it'll be considerably harder than other cartridges, such as the 300 Win Mag. Not saying 300 Win Mag is best either.

Yeah not my first choice for a 1000 yard rifle but the .308 is capable of it , 300 win mag is a mother for new shooters though, If you go with a good brake it tames it quite a bit.

What's the best truck? Chevy, Ford, Dodge? Which girls are prettiest? Brunettes, blondes, redheads.....tall ones, short ones, skinny ones, "healthy" ones? The answer to your last question all depends on everything.

A better reply to you would've been for me to ask, what is your shooting experience like? Hunting only? How often? How far do you usually shoot? How far have you shot? Have you ever shot at a range, and if so, how often?

I'm 35 years old, I've been hunting and around guns all my life. I could shoot a rifle before I could ride a bike. But that mostly all I did was hunt. I just started "long range" shooting last year, and I just got out to 600 yards a couple of weeks ago. Sure, I could've gotten there faster, but realistically speaking, unless you're training everyday, then shooting out to 1000 yards is going to be a gradual progression. In other words, you should probably get your rifle geared more towards what you're going to use it for primarily, hunting. Start taking it to the range as often as you can and practice the fundamentals. I'm having to force myself to do this because I think I already know how to shoot correctly.....but I have a lot to learn. I've bought and sold 2 .338 Lapua Mags that I intended to use as a 1000 yard rifle. I'm about to try to sell the 3rd one next week. Why? Because I'm just not there yet. No need to have that thing taking up space in my safe and also distracting me from spending time shooting my .243 and .308 in the 300 - 600 range.

I am 15 years old, 6 foot 1, and 240 lbs(mostly muscle) I don't think recoil is a problem.

It's a cartridge where bad habits can develop , if you follow the fundamentals of good form and trigger control you will be fine.

If possible send a few rounds down range and see if this is the cartridge you want to have extended shooting sessions with.

A better reply to you would've been for me to ask, what is your shooting experience like? Hunting only? How often? How far do you usually shoot? How far have you shot? Have you ever shot at a range, and if so, how often?

I'm 35 years old, I've been hunting and around guns all my life. I could shoot a rifle before I could ride a bike. But that mostly all I did was hunt. I just started "long range" shooting last year, and I just got out to 600 yards a couple of weeks ago. Sure, I could've gotten there faster, but realistically speaking, unless you're training everyday, then shooting out to 1000 yards is going to be a gradual progression. In other words, you should probably get your rifle geared more towards what you're going to use it for primarily, hunting. Start taking it to the range as often as you can and practice the fundamentals. I'm having to force myself to do this because I think I already know how to shoot correctly.....but I have a lot to learn. I've bought and sold 2 .338 Lapua Mags that I intended to use as a 1000 yard rifle. I'm about to try to sell the 3rd one next week. Why? Because I'm just not there yet. No need to have that thing taking up space in my safe and also distracting me from spending time shooting my .243 and .308 in the 300 - 600 range.

This is an excellent statement with which I agree in principle but have extreme difficulty putting into practice when trying to exercise restraint

I am a shotgun guy (first issue) I am going to the national 4h shoot for trap, skeet, and sporting clays. I started Service Rifle unofficially last year, no real matches yet. I put all of my rifle and pistol plans on hold for nationals. I have interest in 3 gun, Cowboy action shooting and USPCA. I feel like I am sufficient with a shotgun so I should learn new skills. I am on a farm so theoretically I have the ability to shoot every day. I would practice for a while at home then try matches. I want the ability to shoot long range just for fun but if I realize that Long Range is not for me I don't have a huge investment and can use the skills and equipment for hunting and extreme plinking. In July after shotgun national I plan to get more into rifle shooting. Anything else. Haha

I am a shotgun guy (first issue) I am going to the national 4h shoot for trap, skeet, and sporting clays. I started Service Rifle unofficially last year, no real matches yet. I put all of my rifle and pistol plans on hold for nationals. I have interest in 3 gun, Cowboy action shooting and USPCA. I feel like I am sufficient with a shotgun so I should learn new skills. I am on a farm so theoretically I have the ability to shoot every day. I would practice for a while at home then try matches. I want the ability to shoot long range just for fun but if I realize that Long Range is not for me I don't have a huge investment and can use the skills and equipment for hunting and extreme plinking. In July after shotgun national I plan to get more into rifle shooting. Anything else. Haha

Good on you! The deal with 300wm for a target rifle that you also intend to hunt with means that it has to be fairly light. Ideally probably 11 pounds all up. It seems that, given your build, 12.5-13.5 would be quite doable. Still, that's not a lot of recoil absorbing weight and the 300wm will let you know it. Yeah, you will be able to handle it just fine I'm sure, but it might stop being fun after 15-20 rounds. What I'm getting at is you're probably going to want a muzzle brake. The savage hs precision doesn't have a muzzle brake, but the weight is right, as is the price. The brake could be added later.

If you're on a $1000 budget for a 1000 yard rifle, buy used. You'll get more gun for your dollar letting someone else take the initial depreciation hit. Find a rifle for sale from a reputable selller with a low round count and great accuracy. If you're knowledge level isn't up to par, ASK someone for help when you come across a rifle that interests you.

I agree with others above, 308 nor 300 win mag would be my choices for you. You're going to get skilled by putting lots of rounds down range. 308 doesn't have that much recoil, but will hinder your success vs other rounds. 300 win mag won't be fun to shoot a lot, especially in a rifle that weighs little enough to double as a deer rifle.

This CZ 550 in 6.5x47 Lapua has a box mag with 10 round mags available, a threaded barrel w/ brake (which you said you wanted), and is chambered in a good long range round. Just about any aftermarket barrel will outshoot a factory barrel.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...50-6-5x47l-longshot-rifles-$1150-shipped.html

As others have said I'd look for a CZ 550. I wouldn't hesitate to give Tikka a serious look too.

So....you want to spend $1000 and shoot 1000yd? For group or steel?

There's a lot of good caliber choices....308 is NOT on that list.

If you want a big boy rifle...look at the 300wsm, 7wsm, 6.5rsaum, .284, .284 Shehane, 6.5x284

If you want something milder...then you get 6.5cm, 6.5 slr, 260rem, 7-08, 243, 6.5x47, 6-6.5x47

If you want a very mild build, but the utmost accuracy from 600-1000...the 6dasher tops the list. A 6br or brdx could get you out there...but it'd take some good wind calls (so would a Dasher, though)

Honestly....if I were you, I'd go with a factory savage f-class in 6.5x284.

You said no hinged floor plate and a threaded muzzle.....but what need would those fill? If you don't get a mag, you won't need a brake. I'd you want to run it suppressed, I'd understand though. Either way, its little work to have a savage threaded....so you could toss on a brake even I'd you just WANT one. No harm in it.

The bottom metal perplexes me. I've never found a use for a box mag on any of my rifles.... if I have to shoot quickly...its not really a big deal to just load faster with a single shot, in most cases you're running almost as quickly as with a box mag....and no worries for a loading malfunction.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I do not like hinged floor plates.

I recently acquired a Rem 700 5R, dropped it in an AICS AX chassis and use AX detachable magazines. The stock it came with kept the mag box and hinged floor plate. Rifle shoots under 0.5" at 100 yards with several loads. I'll be trying to stretch its legs to 1,000 yards this season. BTW, it ain't the arrows, Tonto.

Cheers, and good luck,

FH

PS-You might take a look at Zak Smith's articles on getting started in LR shooting. Among other things, he notes that the Rem 700 PSS or 700 SPS-Varmint is a good start in .308. You can get to 1,000 yards with 175-190 gr Match bullets. You can also do well with a number of the 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges. Reading those articles (on a sticky in the Hide), you'll get a better perspective on equipment needs for ALL of the necessary equipment. Once you have a good "no excuses" set-up, the next step is training and then a lot of shooting. He also discusses budget.

Knowledge is your friend.

FH

Last edited:

In that case perhaps you want to consider a heavier barreled Tikka?

I bought my Tikka for $820, and it's a fine rifle. I typically shoot in the 500-700 yard range, just because that's what's most readily available to me. Also, since I'm shooting a 20" barrel on a .308, I'm not thinking I'd call it the ideal 1,000 yard+ setup. But, prairie dogs at 500-700 yards haven't been a problem so far, and those are fairly small targets at that distance.

Also, my buddy shoots a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC rifle, and I think he only paid around $600 for that gun. He then threw it into a new stock for a couple hundred dollars, and called it good. He enjoys the rifle and also regularly shoots it in the 500-700 yard range with good results.

If you are looking to keep things affordable, and to do dual duty as a deer gun, the .308 warrants some real consideration. I'd use mine for elk, as well as anything smaller. The .308 is easy to find (normally) and cheap enough to shoot, and these rifles generally have a long barrel life.

Also, make sure you don't skimp on the glass/mount. You can easily spend sickening amounts of money on optics, but you can also put crap on a decent rifle and never experience any kind of decent performance. I started with a $300 Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x scope on my Tikka, and mounted it in TPS rings. It worked well for me, and was a real fine hunting setup (costing less than half of the rifle's price). For the price it exceeded my expectations, and that might be something to think about as a budget-conscious starting point. But, as I found myself doing more and more longer precision work I wanted to move into a better scope setup, and decided to go with a scope that I would still love to use if I upgraded rifles down the road. Now I'm running a S&B 3-20x in a Spuhr mount on the same rifle. I gained a noticeable advantage in my shooting with this setup (but, of course, now my optic setup is worth something like 4.75 times the cost of my rifle). So, you don't have to break the bank to enjoy shooting your new rifle, but at least spend a few hundred bucks to put something halfway decent on the rifle... then, when you completely lose your mind with this sport you can spend a fortune on upgrading glass until your rifle setup is worth more than your car!

Last edited: