• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000-Yard SKS

jpace94

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2011
Long story short, can this be done? If not, what modifications can be done to make this rifle have a 2" MOA at 100 yards. The close I can get to 1", the better.

Re: 1000-Yard SKS

well really there's not much you can do to make anything shoot a 2" MOA at 100 yds, being that one MOA is 1.0475" at 100yds. Other than that maybe someone will chime in on accurizing an SKS

I know 1000 yards can be done, I just want to know the modifications I would have to make to get it done. Thanks for the reply.

Just out of curiosity what is next on your list of things to do, drag racing a Ford Ranger? What you are suggesting is to use a tool that was never designed to accomplish the task you are talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity what is next on your list of things to do, drag racing a Ford Ranger? What you are suggesting is to use a tool that was never designed to accomplish the task you are talking about. </div></div>

I have to agree!!!

Actually I'm putting a 5.8L crate motor into an F-150 but close enough. Change the topic up a little bit, what about a Mosin-Nagant? Seriously, I know that is a 1000 yard rifle, how can I increase accuracy on that?

I've seen a canon that could sling an sks a thousand yards. But why would you
want to ruin a perfectly good trainer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpace94</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually I'm putting a 5.8L crate motor into an F-150 but close enough. Change the topic up a little bit, what about a Mosin-Nagant? Seriously, I know that is a 1000 yard rifle, how can I increase accuracy on that? </div></div>

You seem to be missing my point. Sure you can get the bullet out of either a SKS or a Mosin-Nagant to reach the 1000 yard mark but accuracy might be a question. But my question is if you are going to spend money upgrading a rifle for this kind of work why would you spend the money to bastardize such rifles as you mention when better tools exist that will get the job done better.

And no dropping a big ass mother in a truck is not what my comment was saying at all. My point was simple. Sure you can dump a bunch of money into a pick-up and make it preform like a race car but then you have to ask yourself why you purchased a pick-up when you wanted a race car.

well since the 7.62x39 in a SKS goes subsonic at less than 500 yards good luck

Moisen Nagant 7.62x54R will do 1000 yards supersonic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well since the 7.62x39 in a SKS goes subsonic at less than 500 yards good luck

Moisen Nagant 7.62x54R will do 1000 yards supersonic </div></div>

SKS if you shoot it like a cannon then the bullet will make it to the 1000 yard mark. But accuracy will suck.

7.62.54R is capable but the quality of Mosin-Nagants is hit and miss. But cartridge is capable the rifles are a crap shoot but cheap. Back to my point why spend that kind of money on either of the rifles when you would be far better off to just build a rifle that you know is capable and right the first time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpace94</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know 1000 yards can be done, I just want to know the modifications I would have to make to get it done. Thanks for the reply. </div></div>

The best modification would try 1000 with another rifle besides the sks LOL. There OK out to 300. Inside 150 they are better.

The nagant can do it. Hex receiver models made before 1939 the 1929 to 1939 models are better quality since they where produced before the war and where not rushed and quality steps where not skipped. There are sniper models which have a more accurate barrel and where hand picked. They will get you 1.5 moa and some under 1 moa if your lucky. Here is a site about the Mosin_Nagant1891/30 Sniper http://www.snipercentral.com/mosin.htm

The 7.56x54r round is good for 1000, but finding good consistent and quality ammo for 1000 in 7.56x54r will not be easy.

Please tell me, for the love of all things good and holy, that you are so bored with shooting a "normal" rifle at 1000 yards that this 1000 SKS question is just to burn time. OR that you are making fun of Red Jacket. PLEASE

I'm going to throw my Bender 5-25 into a 45 moa mount on my Benelli m4, and then shoot it at 1000 yards. With birdshot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to throw my Bender 5-25 into a 45 moa mount on my Benelli m4, and then shoot it at 1000 yards. With birdshot. </div></div>

A 2 MOA brah?

No seriously, all you need to upgrade it is change out the stock, get rid of the SKS reciever,get a good one, put a good barrel on it,chambered in a better cartridge, a quality trigger, buy some good sights(iron or otherwise) then shoot the shit out of it till your skills exceed the capability of the rifle, then start over.

I love my SKS, it works as a great monopod for my camera.Just stick the bayonet in the ground and camera on the square butt of the rifle.

What is the BC of a 1 ounce rifled slug? I'd like to figure out if I have enough holdover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rino251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give Red Jacket a call, I'm sure they can hook you up with a real "game changer". </div></div>

lol...that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread...

He's a noob that doesn't understand ballistics or what it takes to be accurate, cut him a little slack..... except for Bolt, he never will, and that's okay too!! LOL

I have a head/shoulders silhouette at 500yds. that I can clang regularly with my SKS and irons. That's about all the sights will do with my eyes. My friends were amazed because they had always considered the SKS a 100-150yd. max piece.

The others are right in that a SKS or MN is not the way to get to 1000. People who do it regularly with capable equipment make it look so effortless that the uniniated think they can jump right in with whatever and do it too. That is always a problem when a capable person makes a difficult task look easy.

If 1000 is your goal start with better equipment. AG

This is how you can shoot an SKS at a target 1000yd away with absolutely no modifications and achieve a very high accuracy.

1000ydSKS.jpg

You know guys, for a bunch of ass kicking shooters you haven't told him the easy way to do it.
Stop stringing him around...

Step 1) Pull the bullet out of the round
Step 2) Dump the powder
Step 3) Fill to the rim with your favorite pistol powder
Step 4) Tap the bullet back into the case (even if you hear crunching)
Step 5) Enjoy your now 1000 yard 3/8 MOA capable SKS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh for fucks sakes </div></div>

By the way, he wrote that not to insult you, but because everyone here knows BOLTRIPPER is the official Sniper's Hide "Outside The Box" expert.
Send him a pm, and he'll discuss it in great depth with you. If you include your number and ask nicely, he'll probably call you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is how you can shoot an SKS at a target 1000yd away with absolutely no modifications and achieve a very high accuracy.

1000ydSKS.jpg
</div></div>

I think your rings are a little on the high side...................also did removing the bayonet improve your barrel harmonics?

ummm if this guy isnt dead by now. Mega cab was JUST KIDDING!

using pistol powder in a rifle will kaboom it 9 out of 10 times.

good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fmelloni82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
using pistol powder in a rifle will kaboom it 9 out of 10 times.
</div></div>. Um, there are hundreds if not thousands of members here who have shot untold thousands of rifle rounds containing pistol powders. If done properly fantastic results are in store.

This thread should probably die now, the OP has his answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is how you can shoot an SKS at a target 1000yd away with absolutely no modifications and achieve a very high accuracy.

1000ydSKS.jpg
</div></div>

fuck, how you gonna keep that rig from swayin?

1000ydSKS.jpg
</div></div>

That's one of the funniest things I've seen on here yet. Thanks! Laughed hard.

Rich

You guys are all dumb, the SKS has been making 1000 yard shots for DECADES! Repeatedly. That is what my buddy CODFRK762 told me anyway.

In order to go out to 1000 yards, you would need a round with a flatter trajectory than the round fired by the SKS (7.62x39mm). At 1000 yards, hitting a target with an SKS would be like lobbing a basketball over your neighbor's 20 foot fence and hoping to hit the hoop on the other side. A lot of mathematics and variables are involved.

As another comment states, even if you hit your target, your projectile (bullet) is going so slow that it may be ineffective.

The SKS is a fine rifle when used within its parameters (max. effective range abbout 400 - 500 yards). However, no amount of money can make this a good shooter at 1000 yards.

In other words, there's nothing you can do to your SKS to make it shoot 1000 yards effectively. Plus, why butcher a beautiful rifle?

@LawnMM, @JWV,

There's another way to shoot 1000 yards effectively from SKSs.

Line up 300 guys with SKSs and have them all shoot at the same time at a target 1000 yards away. Chances are, one of them will hit the target.

Ya'll do realize this is a gun forum right? I made the comparision to illustrate my point not to start a discussion. For information about drag racing I'd try a forum oriented to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rino251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give Red Jacket a call, I'm sure they can hook you up with a real "game changer". </div></div>

Or just buy a Dremel, and a "Gunsmithing for Idiots" book and change the game yourself!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FordRangerFan101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
m5lp_0703_29_z+NMRA_columbus_racing_event+ford_ranger_drag_truck.jpg
</div></div>

"Originally posted by longshot38"
Ya'll do realize this is a gun forum right? I made the comparision to illustrate my point not to start a discussion. For information about drag racing I'd try a forum oriented to that.

Actually his Ranger post was the best post of this whole thread and gave me a chuckle!

I took a Ford F-150 to the IHRA Division 4 Modified Eliminator finals in 2000 and had a .4999 redlight and ran my dial-in with a 0 but even I would not try a SKS at a 1,000 yds and I have a small safe full. Doing things others can't (within reason) is fun but it is expensive.

I would just try to get the best load you can get for it. It will never be a tack driver.

If you have tones of cash I am sure with lots of trial and error you can get a rifle that truly shoots outstanding. Just look at what you can do with a M1 Garand.

drag race a ford ranger this tread is funny as hell 1000 sks im all for the bump fire fix to the problem the 1000 straight down is just silly you cant let slow kidds stand by a cliff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fred3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">drag race a ford ranger this tread is funny as hell 1000 sks im all for the bump fire fix to the problem the 1000 straight down is just silly you cant let slow kidds stand by a cliff. </div></div>

P.U.N.C.T.U.A.T.I.O.N. Without it, this sentence makes zero sense.

Well FWIW I have seen a box stock SKS and tin can Chinese ammo go to 1K. It took 16 rounds and a pulled shot but the last three rounds holding top left corner of the target were X, 9, 10 fired by a first time high power shooter. I think his Agg was 243-1X but the 5 hour ride back from LeJune was a constant battle to see around his grin.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well FWIW I have seen a box stock SKS and tin can Chinese ammo go to 1K. It took 16 rounds and a pulled shot but the last three rounds holding top left corner of the target were X, 9, 10 fired by a first time high power shooter. I think his Agg was 243-1X but the 5 hour ride back from LeJune was a constant battle to see around his grin.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Can you explain how that is even possible with a cartridge dropping 815" from a 100yd zero, at 1000yds? Holding top left corner? Really? 300yds past sonic with a bullet that is not well suited to transition well. Really?
Tell you what. You might not believe this but I saw Elvis at the Piggly Wiggly in Kinston NC 3 years ago buying 2 jars of peanut butter, a loaf of bread and a bunch of bananas. My story is far easier to believe by a rational person.

A lot of the older rifles (certainly the Tula Arsenal SKS's) have Tangent Sights that are ramped out to 1000.

The tangent sights on my Ross rifles are ramped out to 2,000 yards. Even my old Snider Enfield .577 has an 800 YD tangent sight. And that thing is a pumpkin slinger. Both were designed at a time when raining lead down from volley fire was still considered a sound doctrine.

The SKS was designed just 30 years later than the Ross. And, remember, the Russians (and Chinese) saw quantity as having its own quality. Hundreds of marginal riflemen raining down lead from 1000 yards out was part of their philosophy. It's a good thing they didn't come through the Fulda Gap in the early '80s. It would not have been pretty.

Anyway, I don't doubt it's possible. Easy, no. Reliable, no. Best choice of firearms for 1000, no. But possible and plausible, most certainly!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. I've played with the tangent sights on the Ross rifles. They work pretty well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of the older rifles (certainly the Tula Arsenal SKS's) have Tangent Sights that are ramped out to 1000.

The tangent sights on my Ross rifles are ramped out to 2,000 yards. Even my old Snider Enfield .577 has an 800 YD tangent sight. And that thing is a pumpkin slinger. Both were designed at a time when raining lead down from volley fire was still considered a sound doctrine.

The SKS was designed just 30 years later than the Ross. And, remember, the Russians (and Chinese) saw quantity as having its own quality. Hundreds of marginal riflemen raining down lead from 1000 yards out was part of their philosophy. It's a good thing they didn't come through the Fulda Gap in the early '80s. It would not have been pretty.

Anyway, I don't doubt it's possible. Easy, no. Reliable, no. Best choice of firearms for 1000, no. But possible and plausible, most certainly!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. I've played with the tangent sights on the Ross rifles. They work pretty well! </div></div>

I have owned an SKS. I know they have tangent sights, most old military rifles do have tangent sights, that however does not account for a consecutive 9, 10 and x ring hit with an SKS at 1000yds. Volley fire is not well aimed fire. Volley fire does not care that your bullet is unstable and subsonic, aimed fire however does indeed depend on some bullet stability. I question the very thought of any accuracy past the sonic zone with 123gr Chinese ball ammo. I am not doubting you can put 3 out of 16 shots in a sheet of plywood at 1000yds with an SKS, that is indeed plausible. Suggesting the last 3 rounds were in the center of the target? Now that is mythical.

All I know is that I have learned the hard way not to poke fun at fugly equipment on the firing line!

The SKS might be the exception to that lesson!
smile.gif

Near as I can figure the SKS will need 75-80MOA.
Good luck!

I was shooting a NHM91 at 600 yesterday. The wind was about 15 mph. If it was any less I would have gone to 800yds. That is as far as the sights adjust to so 1k looks to be out of the question.

I was shooting at a 200yd NM target not the 600yd target. I was aiming one full target frame plus a half. For those who have not seen a range setup for high power I was shooting on lane 10 and was aiming between lane 11 and 12 with out their targets being in place for a good reference. Once the pitts told me I was centered up I fired 15 shots without the target being pulled until the firing was done. All 15 shots hit on paper. They were strung from side to side but all pretty consistent for elevation.

I would think on a much calmer day with good ammo I can see it being done. Would it be pretty? Hell no. I will have to remember this thread and give it a shot when it gets warm out again. Hopefully I can have someplace to aim on the berm at 1,000yds.