• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000+ yds in NC?

When I was in NC, I refused to drive 5-6hrs total time to go north of Raleigh to the 1000yd there. Public/non-members are only allowed on weekends, which sounds like a nightmare to anyone who’s been at a public range on a weekend. Decided it wasn’t worth driving that kind of distance just to arrive at a packed range on a Saturday. Plus unless you were a member, you could only go out to 500, as the 1,000yd range was members only.

My workaround was finding a coworker who knew a guy with property that had 1,100m range cutout on his property. This will probably be your best bet. Get in good with someone who has property and see if you can work a deal out.

Hawks Ridge gun club is a 1000yrd sanctioned benchrest facility. We just had a steel prs style match there this past Saturday. They have started leaving steel targets out for members to shoot at various ranges as well.

Yeah, I think my friends and I are going to look into leasing some land kinda out in the sticks, where hopefully there aren't any neighbors. The little free time I get, I don't want to spend driving across the state, and I'd prefer to have someplace to do load testing.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I appreciate the info, gentlemen. As there isn't any place within decent driving distance of where I reside, I'm going to get serious about finding a place to lease. I think there would be a lot of upside to going this route, the main one being proximity. Also not having to wait in line for a lane, and the ability to take time to do load development. There are properties available nearby that really aren't suitable for crops or livestock, and is sparsely populated.

When I was in NC, I refused to drive 5-6hrs total time to go north of Raleigh to the 1000yd there. Public/non-members are only allowed on weekends, which sounds like a nightmare to anyone who’s been at a public range on a weekend. Decided it wasn’t worth driving that kind of distance just to arrive at a packed range on a Saturday. Plus unless you were a member, you could only go out to 500, as the 1,000yd range was members only.

My workaround was finding a coworker who knew a guy with property that had 1,100m range cutout on his property. This will probably be your best bet. Get in good with someone who has property and see if you can work a deal out.

Where is this place that you described North of Raleigh?

Hello NCHillbilly, you may want to check out "The Range Complex" near Fayettville. I understand they have a 500 or 600 yard range and are developing a 1,000 yard range. They are heavily invested in training military but allow civilians to use the range when not in use for the military.

I have been wanting to go but have not put it together yet. It is about two hours from me. Maybe we could hookup and make a day of it.

I am near Albemarle, NC where are you? PM if you would like to keep it confidential.

Last edited:
Where is this place that you described North of Raleigh?
That’s Frontline, the place the dude above mentioned. Looks like a great place to be a member of, but the travel (just to recreationally shoot) wasn’t worth it to me.

Here is their website:

Hello NCHillbilly, you may want to check out "The Range Complex" near Fayettville. I understand they have a 500 or 600 yard range and are developing a 1,000 yard range. They are heavily invested in training military but allow civilians to use the range when not in use for the military.

I have been wanting to go but have not put it together yet. It is about two hours from me. Maybe we could hookup and make a day of it.

I am near Albemarle, NC where are you? PM if you would like to keep it confidential.
I do not recommend TRC. Very expensive, you have to pay by the hour and the range is not worth it in my opinion. Recondo Operations Group is south of Fayetteville, but is a little quirky and limited to 900yd. $30 for their daily fee, and you have to message them on Facebook to make sure Dave will be there.

Up until a few months ago I lived in NC and finding a place to shoot beyond 100yd was a pain. Eventually I found a farmer who also liked long range shooting and life got better.

Good luck finding a spot. They are out there, you’ll just definitely have to build more of a “good ol boy” network if you want something within an hour.

Failing that...suppressors are still legal and I bet there are a few powerline cuts in your AO ?

Last edited:
Reactions: M8541Reaper
I do not recommend TRC. Very expensive, you have to pay by the hour and the range is not worth it in my opinion. Recondo Operations Group is south of Fayetteville, but is a little quirky and limited to 900yd. $30 for their daily fee, and you have to message them on Facebook to make sure Dave will be there.

Up until a few months ago I lived in NC and finding a place to shoot beyond 100yd was a pain. Eventually I found a farmer who also liked long range shooting and life got better.

Good luck finding a spot. They are out there, you’ll just definitely have to build more of a “good ol boy” network if you want something within an hour.

Failing that...suppressors are still legal and I bet there are a few powerline cuts in your AO ?
This sums it all up for anyone in NC even remotely close to Fayetteshitville.

Guys,

I've been a member at Frontline Defense for several years now. It's a first class facility. I can't speak highly enough of Paul and his staff. Being an outdoor facility, they are actually falling into the same category as a golf course during the current situation.

I'm busy running Monday through Friday, so other than holidays and weekends, I rarely step foot at the range. Still, I've never had an issue getting to an open lane to shoot anything I brought.

Best Regards,
John

I've shot at Frontline twice. Once in early January for a class with Paul and Dale who got me out to 1000 yrds on my tikka 6.5 CM. I sent back on my own in February to shoot to 500. That was a breeze with the DOPE I documented during the class. It's a nice facility. All outdoors and very low key. I look forward to shooting there again since my GF lives about 45 min away.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that Frontline is a decent range. OP said he’s in the southern Piedmont region, so perhaps Monroe area? If that’s the case, Frontline Defense is at least 3hrs away for him....

Who knows landowners in his part of NC that can hook up our boy here?

I have this same issue. I'm stationed here on Fort Bragg, and there are no decent places to shoot. Not even on base. Frontline is 2 hours north of me, and like mentioned above, its not worth driving up there to only shoot the 500y range because im not a member.

I have this same issue. I'm stationed here on Fort Bragg, and there are no decent places to shoot. Not even on base. Frontline is 2 hours north of me, and like mentioned above, its not worth driving up there to only shoot the 500y range because im not a member.

Recondo Operations Group - find them on Facebook. About 45-50min southeast of base, and your only real option beyond finding a landowner (go get to know the guys at Phase V Tactical..they know some landowners..if you’re a good guy they’ll probably help put you in touch with someone..build that network).

Recondo Operations Group - find them on Facebook. About 45-50min southeast of base, and your only real option beyond finding a landowner (go get to know the guys at Phase V Tactical..they know some landowners..if you’re a good guy they’ll probably help put you in touch with someone..build that network).

I appreciate the info. I took a screenshot of it. And I’m definitely going to follow up. I’d like to think I’m a pretty stand up guy!