• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yrd Walmart air rifle

Sorry I haven't been active here but living in NY definitely crimps my style for long range shooting. I do shoot a lot at my local 100 yard range but went back to my 3-Gun gear and concentrate on pistol (9mm 2011). Until we move to a wide open state.... So looking at Snipers Hide is just frustrating!

But regardless I've been shooting everyday it isn't storming on my 50m range at home. Got a CF scuba tank for fills and a FX Wildcat II bullpup in .22 with an Athlon 6-24x50 FFP BTR, shooting 15-18gr JSBs. The trigger is surprising good and the action is where it is supposed to be so you can maintain your cheek weld. (Most other bullpup air rifles put the action all the way in the butt and have more friction in the triggering mechanism.) The cheap scope is better than I expected and focuses to 7m, has a good reticle and turrets.

Also put my Weihrauch HW30s .177 springer into a Steve Coracan Walnut stock cut for my shoulder. This one was tuned down to be gentle and is really easy to cock, light and easy to carry. Fiber optic sights and top bifocals work for 59-year old eyes.

Targets are 1"-2" which are impossible to miss off the bench so I mostly shoot offhand to make it challenging. The only thing the neighbors hear are the targets getting hit.

Given where I live it's better to be shooting than not.

Next big purchase should be a RAW HM1000 in .30 and then maybe a high pressure air compressor for filling. Maybe a larger springer like the HW95 or classic 35e. But the Wildcat does everything I want and having the biathlon action saves me from dropping even more $$$ on a biathlon action 22. That's gun money logic ;-p

FWIW semi-auto airguns are possible but they use a lot of air and are more complicated, the airgun industry is still rather conservative and limited. But there are people adapting electronic regulators and controls from the high end paintball world to modern airguns and sooner or later someone will figure it out. The big looming issue is that as calibers, speeds and energy increase we have to avoid regulation. I doubt the NRA will devote much energy to this and there is no other lobbying group. For the most part people want to stay quiet and shoot responsibly so as not to create a ruckus. But the airgun manufacturers love advertising their guns' power and how you can hunt deer and hogs with a big bore airgun... so sooner than later we'll get the attention we don't want.

20181205_biketrailrangehome_0026.jpg
20181205_fxwildcatII_0032.jpg
20181205_fxwildcatII_0033.jpg
20180902_iphone_0055.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been active here but living in NY definitely crimps my style for long range shooting. I do shoot a lot at my local 100 yard range but went back to my 3-Gun gear and concentrate on pistol (9mm 2011). Until we move to a wide open state.... So looking at Snipers Hide is just frustrating!

But regardless I've been shooting everyday it isn't storming on my 50m range at home. Got a CF scuba tank for fills and a FX Wildcat II bullpup in .22 with an Athlon 6-24x50 FFP BTR, shooting 15-18gr JSBs. The trigger is surprising good and the action is where it is supposed to be so you can maintain your cheek weld. (Most other bullpup air rifles put the action all the way in the butt and have more friction in the triggering mechanism.) The cheap scope is better than I expected and focuses to 7m, has a good reticle and turrets.

Also put my Weihrauch HW30s .177 springer into a Steve Coracan Walnut stock cut for my shoulder. This one was tuned down to be gentle and is really easy to cock, light and easy to carry. Fiber optic sights and top bifocals work for 59-year old eyes.

Targets are 1"-2" which are impossible to miss off the bench so I mostly shoot offhand to make it challenging. The only thing the neighbors hear are the targets getting hit.

Given where I live it's better to be shooting than not.

Next big purchase should be a RAW HM1000 in .30 and then maybe a high pressure air compressor for filling. Maybe a larger springer like the HW95 or classic 35e. But the Wildcat does everything I want and having the biathlon action saves me from dropping even more $$$ on a biathlon action 22. That's gun money logic ;-p

FWIW semi-auto airguns are possible but they use a lot of air and are more complicated, the airgun industry is still rather conservative and limited. But there are people adapting electronic regulators and controls from the high end paintball world to modern airguns and sooner or later someone will figure it out. The big looming issue is that as calibers, speeds and energy increase we have to avoid regulation. I doubt the NRA will devote much energy to this and there is no other lobbying group. For the most part people want to stay quiet and shoot responsibly so as not to create a ruckus. But the airgun manufacturers love advertising their guns' power and how you can hunt deer and hogs with a big bore airgun... so sooner than later we'll get the attention we don't want.

View attachment 6981601View attachment 6981602View attachment 6981603View attachment 6981604
Your spot on about the advertising. I've always thought it would be better to keep air rifles more of a secret. I've had a couple of the more powerful ones(Quackenbush I think was the name) here at the shop, and it's amazing what they can do. I've put many rounds through an old RWS 48, but foolishly sold it and bought a mod 52. It was a sour experience, and I've been hesitant to get another since the prices have doubled.

To me the only real problem with airguns is they tend to attract FUDDs and overly polite low-T cucky types. I've had otherwise good conversations with air gunners when they'll go off about evil assault weapons or gun control and it's a real turn off. Hate to be associated with that.

The other thing is once you get your gun dialed in and understand the possibilities and limitations then it gets boring to shoot because they’re too consistent and accurate. At least with a good PCP. The spring guns are more of a challenge since your hold and environmental conditions make big differences. But a lot of guys seem to love tuning guns and build large collections they’re always puttering with. Meh....

The FX Dreamline just came out, give it a few months to mature but it looks like a pretty cool gun ~ fully adjustable, able to build it however you like (heavy or light, change calibers, bullpup or full length, etc.) and use AR stocks and grips. https://utahairguns.com/airguns/fx-dreamline/ $1000-plus but a relative bargain.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoy the Daystate Airwolf. If it's not pellet on pellet inside 30 or 1/2" at 50 - it's me.
Recently installed a new controller that allows 12 FULLY adjustable power settings.
The splatter is whats left of a fly at 25 yards.

Wolf.JPG

WolfFly.JPG

I was helping a friend test some prototype barrels for his Daystate Red Wolf last month in 25 cal. One of them would put in 3/4" groups at 100Y and some were closer to 1/2, this was with pellets right out of the tin or unsorted! If sorted by weight and size, oh man,...

I bought a high end PCP. An okympic 10M gun. FWB 800W. I was actually wanting a high end 22 but don’t really have anywhere to shoot. And decided to try the air rifle. I have since shot about 7-8000 pellets off my patio. Way more shooting than I’d ever get having to drive to a range.

Am thinking of selling the FWB to get an FX Impact to shoot a little further. I will say. Air rifles like FWB and Anschutz have stock ergonomics figures out. Way better than the centerfire world.

I thoroughly enjoy the Daystate Airwolf. If it's not pellet on pellet inside 30 or 1/2" at 50 - it's me.
Recently installed a new controller that allows 12 FULLY adjustable power settings.
The splatter is whats left of a fly at 25 yards.

View attachment 7006595

View attachment 7006596

That's really cool. My sense is that the Daystates and RAW rifles are a step up from the FX, although it's always the shooter and practice in the end. Yours looks beautiful, sorry about your fly ;-p

Reactions: DellaDog
I only have 9 meters in the basement but it's still good practice.

I use an electrical box filled with 5 packs of electrical putty to catch the pellets.

The 10m air pistol I have is an Italian FAS 604 from the early 1980s. It's a pneumatic gun - you open the "slide" all the way, it pivots near the muzzle, and compress the air when closing. When I bought it there were still international meets and Olympic trial stickers on it! I did get a German Rink grip and customized it with fake wood to fit my hand. (And had it resealed at Larry's Guns in Maine, they do a lot this stuff.)

It's way more accurate than I am. Once I figured out my shooting glasses I went back to open sights but the C-More worked great too. I'm 59, my vision is "changing" and I'm fine with being able to get 10 rounds into the black at 9m. Then the 9 ring, etc. The style is strong hand only, extended arm. Matches are incredibly boring to watch on YouTube but watch enough to get the technique.

These are about $500 and you find similar types on the Target Talk forum. FWB, Morini, Steyr, and the Russians made many excellent air pistols too. In the late 90s they converted to PCP (air tanks) because it's less stressful between shots, you can find "modern" match quality PCP pistols from $800 to $2000+.

These only shoot in the mid 400 fps .177 so while you can plink with them outdoors they get bumped around by any wind and aren't humane to hunt with (other than flies).

My only complaint is that these are just loud enough to annoy people upstairs. Also, impacting pellets do generate lead dust that will settle to the floor. If you have developing brains in your household you need to pay attention to housekeeping, also keep the pets from eating those tasty (salt like) pellets off the floor. It's not as big a deal as I am describing but I probably wouldn't do it with toddlers around.

Attachments

• 20160612_iphone_1465.JPG
    20160612_iphone_1465.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20160612_iphone_1466.JPG
    20160612_iphone_1466.JPG
    517 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
So guys...are they really worth it? I mean...9 meters and the gun is better than you are? Why even use it as a means to launch a projectile when you can accurately throw it that far? I realize that people can suffer from isolation...

So guys...are they really worth it? I mean...9 meters and the gun is better than you are? Why even use it as a means to launch a projectile when you can accurately throw it that far? I realize that people can suffer from isolation...

So you think Olympic air pistol is a no challenge sport??? It's only 1 yard farther.

When you can put every pellet into the x ring report back, that was rhetorical, because it won't happen.

In contrast most combat pistol shooters would find it hard to keep all their shots in the head of an IPSC at 25Y, the Olympic shooters are the opposite. That's a super easy shot for a Olympic air pistol shooter and most would be in the B zone.

One time I brought my Steyr LP5 semi auto PCP repeater to a tactical rifle match, one that also had pistol stages in it, and to show it's capabilities at the sight in range for those that didn't know about such pistols for the fun of it.
As bystanders watched me shoot at a steel, they thinking beforehand that "it's just a BB gun" and I'd be lucky to get a 1' group at 20Y on it, I shot 5 that would fit under a nickel. Furthernmore I won the pistol event in the match with my STI 40.

Nah, what good are these things except to teach someone actual pistol skills.

My wife bought a Glock42 (compact sized 380), during a season that I was shooting IDPA. For the fun of it I used it in a local match, the entire match I shot clean - never out of -0. I got 4th because I slowed myself due to the short sight radius.

ALL BECAUSE I PRACTICED WITH AIR PISTOLS. Get it now??!!

Great timing, I just bought a Uramex Gauntlet for 242.00 and I think it's the best deal out there. It's PCP rifle with regulated air and shoots a .22 pellet @ 825 and one small hole @ 25yds out of the box. I'm going to bump it up to 900 maybe 1000 fps just for grins.

i-p677Tk2-L.jpg

First target trying some different pellets:
i-kCK4hmR-L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123