• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(100YARD), Bolt-Action, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

Re: Bolt-Action, 6groups, 5shots, 30round SHOOTOUT!!!!

not a problem at all brother...looking really good so far. One thing is for sure... it's a damn nice rifle and a real shooter...

bust out the bipod and the sand bags, get another entry rolling, and just make sure your entry matches that of my "example entry" listed just below the original post (like 4 posts down),,,,, or it will not count.... need to make your post entry clean, short and simple, and easy for me to read with the math done for me. i don't have much time to check everyone's entries over. need to make it easy for me.

<span style="color: #996633"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">This goes for everyone that would like to make an entry..... In short, just make sure it looks like my example entry and you'll be just fine (just below the orginal post about 4 posts down)...</span></span></span> I'm sure once a few people get rolling here that this thread will explode just like the semi-auto shootout version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry elfster, did not see the front rest rule change. Have to throw my sinclair fclass bipod on that 6br. Those groups were fired of a wobbly bench made from 3/4 plywood and 2x4s at the local range. The rules for the local br shoot is everyone shoots from the same bench design as the other competitors. Last match i stomped a guy in aggs that was running a panda 6ppc in a farley coax rest. Not because he couldn't shoot or his rifle was inferior, they weren't, he was used to concrete </div></div>

Saving spot/reminder

Also thanks for keeping the 100 yard challenge, it's a pain to get to the 300 yard for me lately.

not a problem and I understand how hard it can be for some people to find a range over 100yards, but would still like to participate in this online shootout. I think some people will be amazed that the 100yard will most likely be more popular than the 300yard shootout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UIUCPPQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saving spot/reminder

Also thanks for keeping the 100 yard challenge, it's a pain to get to the 300 yard for me lately. </div></div>

Re: (100YARD), Bolt-Action, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

Elfster,
this is a great idea, I don't post here much but I'm in. I'll put my stock and custom home build up to the test(Savages). Would it be possible to get help with posting the pictures, I don't know how and to old to care to learn. I would love to compete against all the factory rifles, and gives me inspiration to complete some of my projects. This will be fun, Slip.

I would love to take part. Still in recovery from surgery, but should be able to shoot in a couple of weeks.

Shooting a Surgeon Scalpel 308

Name: The Surgeon

Thanks!!!

wish i could my friend, but i'm running 3 of these shootouts... in short, all you need to do is upload your photos into photobucket, and then copy the photo link from photobucket into your post... yes, it might take some time to figure it all out, but that is 1/2 the fun... It really is not that hard. If you're still having problems, then see if a more computer savy family member might help ya out.

this youtube video might help you out also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehxvujkalM

<span style="color: #339999">(following my example entry 4 post down from the original post)</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrslippery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elfster,
this is a great idea, I don't post here much but I'm in. I'll put my stock and custom home build up to the test(Savages). Would it be possible to get help with posting the pictures, I don't know how and to old to care to learn. I would love to compete against all the factory rifles, and gives me inspiration to complete some of my projects. This will be fun, Slip. </div></div>

Fully understand, I'll figure it out. I'm in on both. Anyone in NW Ohio wishing to try this at my club send a pm, 100 and 300 yard available, could try a 500 yard for fun. Slip
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wish i could my friend, but i'm running 3 of these shootouts... in short, all you need to do is upload your photos into photobucket, and then copy the photo link from photobucket into your post... yes, it might take some time to figure it all out, but that is 1/2 the fun... It really is not that hard. If you're still having problems, then see if a more computer savy family member might help ya out.

this youtube video might help you out also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehxvujkalM

<span style="color: #339999">(following my example entry 4 post down from the original post)</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrslippery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elfster,
this is a great idea, I don't post here much but I'm in. I'll put my stock and custom home build up to the test(Savages). Would it be possible to get help with posting the pictures, I don't know how and to old to care to learn. I would love to compete against all the factory rifles, and gives me inspiration to complete some of my projects. This will be fun, Slip. </div></div> </div></div>

I'm down!

elfster, you should create/designate a dedicated 6 target .PDF file with inch lines that could be printed off, and designated as official "Elfster Challenge" targets.

LOL, that sounds like a good idea! Hehehe.

<span style="color: #CC0000">I just want to make sure i'm TOTALLY clear on this with everyone so you don't waste your time. MAKE SURE your post entry looks like the example entry 4 posts down from the orignal post OR it will not count (or really damn close to it!!)... If you want to do any BS talk, then do it on another post please. Keep your entry short, simple, and like the example post!!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm down!

elfster, you should create/designate a dedicated 6 target .PDF file with inch lines that could be printed off, and designated as official "Elfster Challenge" targets. </div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000">I just want to make sure i'm TOTALLY clear on this with everyone so you don't waste your time. MAKE SURE your post entry looks like the example entry 4 posts down from the orignal post OR it will not count (or really damn close to it!!)... If you want to do any BS talk, then do it on another post please. Keep your entry short, simple, and like the example post!!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GotGoodGroups</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So this type of shooting rest is not allowed?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412484/caldwell-rock-front-shooting-rest

I am interested in what these rifles can do, not the shooters. I think going to a vice would be a bit too much though. ;-)

--Dan </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Yeah that ones fine </span>
Guess not!

Don't know about that rest, i used one like it for my 6br groups in this thread and was busted out on it. Interested in confirmation on this from elfster. i should mention the accuracy guarantees from most smiths in the accuracy game, br or tactical , are stipulating a pedastal rest with the accuracy guarantee.

So far no one has successfully met elfsters posting rules. Makes this thread tough to get going. Why the rule for the calipers in the wide angle AND the close up? You should be able to tell if the group is the same, and the caliper being off the board in the first pic should be mandatory to make sure the caliper isn't covering any bullet holes.

ill post up mine correctly this afternoon when i get back to work. Photobucket kept messing up on my this morning trying to upload my rifle pic. If we need one without the calipers ill take that tonight. im out at the range shooting 6 groups right now and Im shooting terriable but its still better than being at work. Hopefully once we get a few properly posted it will be easier for others to copy the format.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know about that rest, i used one like it for my 6br groups in this thread and was busted out on it. Interested in confirmation on this from elfster. i should mention the accuracy guarantees from most smiths in the accuracy game, br or tactical , are stipulating a pedastal rest with the accuracy guarantee. </div></div>

Doesn't really matter what the Smith or factory wants you to shoot of off. This is a test of both the rifle and shooter. Will you have your little rest with you every time you shoot your rifle? If you hunt do you take it with you? He has stated clearly in the rules bipods, monopods, bags or nothing! So your rest is illegal for use in this shoot out.

Also love the date on target rule as it makes people actually go out and shoot just for this comp.

His rules are not that hard to understand or follow guys.

Elfster mentioned the gap accuracy guarantee , iwas just following up with what most smiths recommend to insure and validate their guarantee. The original post did not rule out front rest, even mentioned sandbags for rest. My original target was posted before the edit of bipod only. His rules are fine, don't try to bust my chops over complying with his rules before he tweaked them. Trust me i do fine in the dirt off a pod. This ought to be run what u got. Factory is what ai sako cooper, not to fair to put them in with a bone stock rem or savage. Whats next handload vs factory load class? It is way easier from a rule standpoint to just say one class off a bipod and rearbag. Hell i got a bud that would smoke factory class with a singleshot cooper varmint in 6 ppc, but that rifle against a box stock savage or rem and that gets to be a tough row to hoe.

Shot with my AIAE .308 @ 100yards with atlas bipod on bench with rear bag.
Average was .494"
Best group was .086"
Rifle used = Accuracy International AIAE .308 20" barrel
Optics = mil/mil Schmidt & Bender 3x20 p4f
Mount = Seekins

first three groups - Black Hills 175gr
groups 4 & 5 - Copper Creek 175gr
group 6 - hand load 175smk over 42gr varget
.086+.619+.564+.744+.390+.558=2.961/6 = .4935moa

20120923_103504.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

I hope I got this one right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Elam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hope I got this one right. </div></div>

Your caliber needs to be on showing the measurement of you smallest group in you close up pic. It does no good just having it sit on the target turned off and not measuring anything. Also when you retake that pic of you best group leave the caliber there and take the whole target pic with you caliber still measuring you best and on.

1 Pic of rifle
2 Close up of best group showing measurement with caliber
3 Pic of all groups with caliber still on best group

That is the way I take his rules on this shootout and that is the way he has his pics in the example. Also write your avg on your target with the date. Double check you math so he doesn't have too. Makes his life easier when posting your results.

Don't have to be in that exact order but those are the pics required.

Nice shooting by the way!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Elam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Your caliber needs to be on showing the measurement of you smallest group in you close up pic. It does no good just having it sit on the target turned off and not measuring anything. Also when you retake that pic of you best group leave the caliber there and take the whole target pic with you caliber still measuring you best and on.

1 Pic of rifle

That is the way I take his rules on this shootout and that is the way he has his pics in the example. Also write your avg on your target with the date. Double check you math so he doesn't have too. Makes his life easier when posting your results.

cool.gif
</div></div>

I think dmpowder meant to say caliper not caliber. In other words show the caliper reading the smallest group.

Nice shooting Josh! What range is that?

Thanks guys, this was at MSSA. The .086 is the 5 shot group I have been chasing and luckly I did that great group to make up for the .6xx groups. Just a year ago I was tickled with .75moa groups now that pisses me off. I'm a dummy for not posting the pic with the calipers measuring the good group. I'll edit that when I get home. Maybe one day I'll get this right.

i hate to keep busting your balls, but as per the rules (ask the semi-auto guys about this, i'm a hard ass when it comes to the rules).....

your caliper needs to be ON the best group on both pics!! Please, DO NOT make another post and just edit your latest post. your entry will not make the boards until this is done. thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Elam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot with my AIAE .308 @ 100yards with atlas bipod on bench with rear bag.
Average was .494"
Best group was .086"
Mount = Seekins

20120923_103504.jpg

20120924_193933.jpg

20120924_193452.jpg

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">this type of rest is NOT allowed...</span></span></span>

as per the rules, bipods, monopods, or sandbags, or nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GotGoodGroups</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So this type of shooting rest is not allowed?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412484/caldwell-rock-front-shooting-rest

I am interested in what these rifles can do, not the shooters. I think going to a vice would be a bit too much though. ;-)

--Dan </div></div>

trust me, this thread will take off i'm sure, BUT you need to follow the simple rules in order to post..... this is the only way to make sure everyone is honest and to keep this thread consistant.... i also don't want to be hunting down your info or doing your math as this slows me down... this needs to be easy for everyone to read and the rules are made to keep the thread consistant between entry posts.

just make sure you completely read the original post and the 3 posts below the OP to boot, follow those rules and you'll be fine. next thing you know you'll be on the OP!! until then, no one has followed the rules one bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far no one has successfully met elfsters posting rules. Makes this thread tough to get going. Why the rule for the calipers in the wide angle AND the close up? You should be able to tell if the group is the same, and the caliper being off the board in the first pic should be mandatory to make sure the caliper isn't covering any bullet holes. </div></div>

Dmpowder is 100% correct! He is the man, and also the man to beat on the semi-auto shootout!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmpowder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Elam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1 Pic of rifle

cool.gif
</div></div>

Elfster one quick question and then maybe I can get to the range this weekend. When you say sanbags in the rule, are you referring to a rear sandbag or sandbags in the front? Just want to be specific before I waste my time and yours by not complying with guidelines.

6br you can use both if you need. The idea is you must use what you would likely use in the field. Remember this is a shooting site not a bench rest site.

Thanks squin need to stop posting from my cell as I don't proof read when I do.

You guys are just lucky we had 35 MPH gust today or I would be rocking the #1 spot with a 22lr! Wouldn't stand long but dam it I could have been #1 on all 3 even if it would only been for 5 mins. Haha

you can use both front and rear sand bags

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elfster one quick question and then maybe I can get to the range this weekend. When you say sanbags in the rule, are you referring to a rear sandbag or sandbags in the front? Just want to be specific before I waste my time and yours by not complying with guidelines. </div></div>

So benchrest is not shooting, right. Guess where every accuracy inovation in precision rifles and reloading came from....br. don't scoff too hard. I had a simple question that did not involve you. I wanted edification not a lame cheap shot at what different sports i run in. If it helps pal i got two br rifles and 8 rifles with bipods. I have killed more yotes then parvo and more deer then blue tongue. Hell with this, i'll let my shooting do my talking. Thankas elfster for the clearing up. I will rock a bipod and beanbag so i don't come out too benchresty for some

Ok gang, please only post unless you have a shootout entry. We are damn near up to 3 pages with no entries per the rules so far.

If you have any questions, then please send me a PM and I'll try to answer it ASAP.

Little less talking and a little more walking. Thank you.

This is awesome work josh and welcome to the leader boards... Your best group is down right sick. Thank you for re-doing your entry. Going to let the extra two bullets at the top of your target slide as they are obviously 1 foot away from your groups, but please (this goes for everyone one else too) make sure any future entries have only 30 bullet holes. Nice shooting and kick ass rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Elam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot with my AIAE .308 @ 100yards with atlas bipod on bench with rear bag.
Average was .494"
Best group was .086"
Mount = Seekins

.086+.619+.564+.744+.390+.558=2.961/6 = .4935moa

20120923_103504.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to me a benchrest rig will probably take this. </div></div>

Should be a Tactical bolt action's ONLY since this isn't a bench rest forum!

Nice groups, kickass rifle and even more kickass screamer group josh.

First off...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have killed more yotes then parvo and more deer then blue tongue. </div></div>
grin.gif

Second...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to me a benchrest rig will probably take this. </div></div>

Should be a Tactical bolt action's ONLY since this isn't a bench rest forum! </div></div>
How about a hunting rifle?

I’m bringing this over from the PM thread, if that’s cool with the rules. It was shot 9/24/12.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Shot with my calling rifle @ 100yards with harris bipod front & rear bag on bench.
Average was .413"
Best group was .214"

Rifle used = 8.2# Rem 700, 20" Brux #3 barrel, HS Precision ADL stock chambered in straight 6BR.
Optics = Leupold VX3 CDS 3.5-10-40
Mount = Talley LW lows

Shot with handloads:
Lapua brass
cci 450s
31 gr varget
85gr gameking hpbt

.299" + .456" + .501" + .514" + .214" + 496" = 2.48/ 6 = .413 average over 6 groupings @ 5shots each / 30 total bullets:

The rifle…
Rifle-1.jpg

The Target...
photobucket-28159-1348618925483.jpg

Target with calipers… (not sure why)
SNHD.jpg

Best Group
photobucket-2316-1348618824441.jpg

Let me know (again) if I missed something on the rules.

coleridge, please edit your existing entry as per the original post example entry,,, until then, your post will not count... i'll get you on the boards the second you edit your existing post.... DO NOT make a new post, just edit the existing.

please make sure you are following the original post entry example!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coleridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have killed more yotes then parvo and more deer then blue tongue. </div></div>
grin.gif

Second...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to me a benchrest rig will probably take this. </div></div>

Should be a Tactical bolt action's ONLY since this isn't a bench rest forum! </div></div>
How about a hunting rifle?

I’m bringing this over from the PM thread if that’s cool with the rules. It was shot 9/24/12.

This is my calling rifle based off a Rem700 action (no blueprinting/trueing). 8.2# with scope, 20" #3 Brux 8.5”twist barrel, ADL HS Precision sporter stock, Shilen trigger, wears a Lupy 3.5-10X 40 CDS scope, chambered in vanilla 6BR, shooting 31gr varget under an 85gr Sierra GK HPBT, lit by a CCI 450.

The rifle…

The Target...

Target with calipers… (not sure why)

Best Group

Groups shot off bi-pod with rear bag. Let me know if I missed something on the rules.

</div></div>

Hummm, this sounds fun! May have to give it a try!

I lacked that one tiny group to bring the average down but still not too bad, and darn consistent. Its been over 200 rounds since a cleaning. I may have to shine up the bore and give it another go.

308 @ 100 Yards shot from bench/Harris bipod front/sandbag rear
Average .398"
Best Group .354"
Rifle: GAP Rock 308 on Rem 700 action, 20" Rock barrel
Optics: Leup 6.5-20x50 LR
Mounts: Badger

175 SMK
RL 15 - 43.5 gr
Lapua Brass
Fed 210

.357 + .484 + .382 + .439 + .394 + .354 = 2.390 / 6 = .398 Avg

Rock%2520Target%2520resized.jpg

Calipers.jpg

Rock%2520one.jpg

Rock%25202.jpg

holy crap! that is got to be some of the best shooting i've seen so far in these shootouts! very nice job and I'm loving the bolt action rifle. You came damn close to the 3/8" crown. Very nice. Welcome to the leader boards and good job on the post.

one question, what is the barrel length?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lacked that one tiny group to bring the average down but still not too bad, and darn consistent. Its been over 200 rounds since a cleaning. I may have to shine up the bore and give it another go.

308 @ 100 Yards shot from bench/Harris bipod front/sandbag rear
Average .398"
Best Group .354"
Rifle: GAP Rock 308 on Rem 700 action
Optics: Leup 6.5-20x50 LR
Mounts: Badger

175 SMK
RL 15 - 43.5 gr
Lapua Brass
Fed 210

.357 + .484 + .382 + .439 + .394 + .354 = 2.390 / 6 = .398 Avg </div></div>

Thanks! The barrel is 20".

played around for a couple days with a new load rifle seems to like it okay.
trued 700 action
criterion 243 1-8 24" m40a3 crown
AICS stock
BO rail and TPS TSR superlow steel holding a bushy HDMR G2dmr
105 berger VLD hunting over 43.5 H4831sc in lapua brass lit by cci br-2s.
Started with cold clean bore, should have put a few rds down it to settle it down and the shooter. .610+.484+.225+.268+.242+.561 / 6 = .398
Shot prone with harris 6-9 swivel and rear rabbit ear bag.
The rifle
[img:left]
IMG_20121006_144910.jpg
[/img]
The groups without caliper
IMG_20121006_160142.jpg
[/img]
with calipers
IMG_20121006_180122.jpg
[/img]
Best group
IMG_20121006_160335.jpg
[/img]

Nice shooting ctsmith. That is about par for the GAP's I have seen personally. They are damn fine rifles. You know how to drive it as well.

Thanks Squin. This rifle has always been scary accurate. I've over 400 rounds down the tube and its yet to throw a shot that wasn't shooter error. It didn't even require load development. I had some leftovers and they worked out quite nicely so I just decided to go with the flow.

wow, man alive!! everyone is bring out the big guns and the kick ass shooting today! very nice job!

i'll get you on the boards, but please edit your existing post so it follows the example entry listed on the orginal post. thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">played around for a couple days with a new load rifle seems to like it okay.
trued 700 action
criterion 243 1-8 24" m40a3 crown
AICS stock
BO rail and TPS TSR superlow steel holding a bushy HDMR G2dmr
105 berger VLD hunting over 43.5 H4831sc in lapua brass lit by cci br-2s.
Started with cold clean bore, should have put a few rds down it to settle it down and the shooter. .610+.484+.225+.268+.242+.561 / 6 = .398
Shot prone with harris 6-9 swivel and rear rabbit ear bag.
The rifle
IMG_20121006_144910.jpg
[/img]
The groups without caliper
IMG_20121006_160142.jpg
[/img]
with calipers
IMG_20121006_180122.jpg
[/img]
Best group
IMG_20121006_160335.jpg
[/img] </div></div>

ctsmith, I thought about giving it a go at this. However, after seeing your results i don't think I'll bother.

Nice shooting.

i would still give it a go NMMX! im sure everyone here including myself would love to see your results!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMMX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ctsmith, I thought about giving it a go at this. However, after seeing your results i don't think I'll bother.

Nice shooting. </div></div>

NMMX, I appreciate it! Give it a go. Regardless of the group size, you'll always want better!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. After looking at the groups above, I was a little hesitant. But this is a chance to grow personally. I like the idea I can reshoot an entire 6 targets to try to improve my work. Is that also correct?

Regards,
Greyson

yes, you can re-shoot as many times as you want to improve your score... best score makes the leader boards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing ventured, nothing gained. After looking at the groups above, I was a little hesitant. But this is a chance to grow personally. I like the idea I can reshoot an entire 6 targets to try to improve my work. Is that also correct?

Regards,
Greyson </div></div>