• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(100YARD), Bolt-Action, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

Re: (100YARD), Bolt-Action, 6groups, 30round SHOOTOUT!

I plan on shooting this with a stock M70 just so there are some comparisons between a stock rifle and a custom. Then I plan on shooting it after I bed the rifle. If this thread is dead by then, I'll just post the pics in my own thread. I hope to do it once again after I have the action trued and re barreled.

It's not about beating people, at least for me. It's about getting real data, not just the shit people say they can do. Good groups or bad groups, its all good data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on shooting this with a stock M70 just so there are some comparisons between a stock rifle and a custom. Then I plan on shooting it after I bed the rifle. If this thread is dead by then, I'll just post the pics in my own thread. I hope to do it once again after I have the action trued and re barreled.

It's not about beating people, at least for me. It's about getting real data, not just the shit people say they can do. <span style="font-weight: bold">Good groups or bad groups, its all good data.</span> </div></div>

Exactly. I hope everyone that tries it post up. This thread could be invaluable reference if we can get everyone to post & not worry about "winning", although I know I'm going to give the lead a try with a heavier gun
grin.gif
)! (I still post results either way) I would REALLY like to see some more GAP's if that's the "norm" also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lacked that one tiny group to bring the average down but still not too bad, and darn consistent. .357 + .484 + .382 + .439 + .394 + .354 = 2.390 / 6 = .398 Avg

Rock%2520Target%2520resized.jpg

</div></div>

You don't need "one tiny group to bring the average down "... You didn't have a large groups to bring your avereage up. VERY nice shooting!!! I had rather have that consistancy than fluke small groups anyday. Best target I've seen yet!

Coleridge, thanks! The rifle is the most consistent I've ever seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would REALLY like to see some more GAP's if that's the "norm" also.</div></div>

Honestly, I've had a few more GAPs pass through my safe, not to mention similar blueprints from a few more top names. None shot as well as this rifle (not really even close).

As a side note, I cleaned the barrel yesterday, its been over 200 rounds since the last cleaning. I'll post up pics of the patches. No copper fouling what so ever. It took three patches to get a clean patch. Then I brushed with plastic brush. The patch following the brush was clean meaning the bore was clean before the brushing. After 200+ rounds it only took three patchs to get the carbon and there was no copper. I've never seen such.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope everyone that tries it post up. This thread could be invaluable reference if we can get everyone to post</div></div>

It will definitely be a great reference. I've been through enough rifles to know a lot of what I read on the internet is a bunch of crap. I think this thread will help set realistic expectations. Like I said in another post, it took several rifles to end up with one that shoots like this one.

To be fair, I don't think guys intentionally misrepresent their 1/2" rifle. They go to range, get a few good groups and maybe a bad one. The bad one they write off to pulling the shot, or wind. Its then a 1/2" rifle. I have a range at my home and shoot enough to know that true 1/2" rifles are few and far between.

Interesting comment about the "other GAP's". I know someone posted that was "typical" but I can't help but scratch my head a little on that. That is VERY consistant!!! Super nice.

Also very well said in the 2nd post... I fell you hit it 100%. It's easy to write off or forget the bad groups. Only the good ones stand out in peoples mind. Most guys think that micro group happened once it should be obtainable everytime... That's what is really cool about this thread. We can see what to REALLY expect from brand X rifle or caliber with a larger sample. Not just one or two fluke groups from one type rifle. Just hope your great shooting doesn't scare anybody off
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting comment about the "other GAP's"</div></div>

FWIW, This is the only one that has the arrow mark!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting comment about the "other GAP's"</div></div>

FWIW, This is the only one that has the arrow mark!

</div></div>

Nice. That is George's mark correct?

Correct, the arrow is the mark of George.

i got ya on the boards coleridge! good shooting and nice rifle. thanks for editing your post... sorry for being a hard ass on this, but i need to keep this post consistant.

just an FYI everyone,,,,,,, ctsmith is the first person on sniper's hide between semi's and bolt's to get .5moa or less @ 100yards on all 6groups... that goes for all entries thus far!! very good job ctsmith and very consistant shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lacked that one tiny group to bring the average down but still not too bad, and darn consistent. Its been over 200 rounds since a cleaning. I may have to shine up the bore and give it another go.

308 @ 100 Yards shot from bench/Harris bipod front/sandbag rear
Average .398"
Best Group .354"
Rifle: GAP Rock 308 on Rem 700 action, 20" Rock barrel
Optics: Leup 6.5-20x50 LR
Mounts: Badger

175 SMK
RL 15 - 43.5 gr
Lapua Brass
Fed 210

.357 + .484 + .382 + .439 + .394 + .354 = 2.390 / 6 = .398 Avg

Rock%2520Target%2520resized.jpg

Calipers.jpg

Rock%2520one.jpg

Rock%25202.jpg

</div></div>

Thanks! Here are the last targets I've shot with the rifle from several years ago. I've had no need to shoot groups since. These are five shot groups as well. The one posted above is the first target since these groups. I figured this thread was a good opportunity to see if the old girl still had it.

This target was shot with 10x scope.

IMG_0351.JPG

This target was shot with the current scope. The center group looks to be over .5" but I did not measure.

IMG_0552.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just an FYI everyone,,,,,,, ctsmith is the first person on sniper's hide between semi's and bolt's to get .5moa or less @ 100yards on all 6groups... that goes for all entries thus far!! very good job ctsmith and very consistant shooting!</div></div>

I don't get it... Where are all the "1/2" all day long" rifles I am always reading about on the inturdnet?!
grin.gif

Great rifle and great shooting Clint! This may be a very short thread though. I think you got 'em all scared!

John

I appreciate the complements but this is waaaaay more about the rifle than my shooting abilities. This rifle makes most anyone look good. Throw some moving targets in the mix and awkward shooting positions and I'll make that rifle look pretty bad.

We are getting some details worked out, and was hoping to get to shoot this weekend. However, this is opening weekend for our antelope tags... this one will have to wait a bit!! LOL

DK

Great shooting!
You might want to check your load data again though. I'm guessing you weren't at 3.152 for your Coal.
At that length there's no shank left in the case on any of the 175 smk's I have around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! Here are the last targets I've shot with the rifle from several years ago. I've had no need to shoot groups since. These are five shot groups as well. The one posted above is the first target since these groups. I figured this thread was a good opportunity to see if the old girl still had it.

This target was shot with 10x scope.

IMG_0351.JPG

This target was shot with the current scope. The center group looks to be over .5" but I did not measure.

IMG_0552.JPG

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to check your load data again though. I'm guessing you weren't at 3.152 for your Coal.
At that length there's no shank left in the case on any of the 175 smk's I have around here.</div></div>

I measure to the ogive and some of the listed measurements include the Sinclair measuring tool which is 1". Sorry for the confusion. This is not me but a pic of what I'm talking about.

So it is actually 2.152" to the ogive.

DSCN7665.JPG

Great thread and thanks for the work elfster! Some amazing shooters on here and great to see those "shoots blah blah blah all day" BS being debunked except for the few that have the skills to back it up.

If I get time this weekend I'll post some groups in the proper in this and semi-auto thread but I can assure you, they are nowhere near what you guys are shooting. Heck, I'm lucky if I'm averaging 1 MOA.

That makes sense then CT, Thanks for clarifying.

thanks mstang1988... all rifles and group sizes are welcome to post. looking forward to your post! just make sure you follow the example entry listed on the original post and you'll be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mstang1988</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great thread and thanks for the work elfster! Some amazing shooters on here and great to see those "shoots blah blah blah all day" BS being debunked except for the few that have the skills to back it up.

If I get time this weekend I'll post some groups in the proper in this and semi-auto thread but I can assure you, they are nowhere near what you guys are shooting. Heck, I'm lucky if I'm averaging 1 MOA.
</div></div>

Shot with my custom APA 6.5 Creedmoor at 100 yards with Atlas bipod front and beanbag rear bag.
Average was .566"
Best group was .275"
Cartridge = 6.5 Creedmoor
Rifle used = custom Defiance Machine action APA built lightweight 9 pound rifle
Barrel Length / Type = 20" Brux no. 4 sporter
Optics = March 3-24x42 FFP
Mount = NF ultralight rings on Murphy Precision 20 MOA 2-piece titanium bases.

Shot with factory Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 120gr AMAX match ammunition.

.275"+.635"+.650"+.376"+.860"+.600"=3.396"/6=.566" average over six groups of five shots each, 30 total shots.

sh100target.jpg

Best group was .275":

sh100targetclose.jpg

Here's the rifle:

apa65right.jpg

I shot the first three groups (the top three, the middle one first then top left then top right) following the advice in one of these threads to let the gun cool for five minutes with the bolt open between groups, but then I was running out of time and shot the three groups on the lower end of the target straight through in about 15 minutes. I knew as soon as the trigger broke that I had shanked that one shot on bullseye #5. I was pissed, if it had been in the group my average group size would have been under .5 MOA, but this is probably the best I have ever shot so I didn't stay pissed long.

I think it's not too bad for a 9 pound rifle with $25/box of 20 factory ammo.
smile.gif

awesome job maladat and thank you for editing your post so your entry would count. welcome to the leader boards! nice work my friend!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot with my custom APA 6.5 Creedmoor at 100 yards with Atlas bipod front and beanbag rear bag.
Average was .566"
Best group was .275"
Cartridge = 6.5 Creedmoor
Rifle used = custom Defiance Machine action APA built lightweight 9 pound rifle
Barrel Length / Type = 20" Brux no. 4 sporter
Optics = March 3-24x42 FFP
Mount = NF ultralight rings on Murphy Precision 20 MOA 2-piece titanium bases.
</div></div>

Maladat,
Nice rifle and great shooting. The lighter sticks have much more appeal to me than the 10+ lb rigs. Honestly the only reason my Rock is still around is because it shoots so darn good. Its too heavy for my taste. Of course, my background is hunting and not tactical. I spent many years trying to get a 6 lb rifle to shoot like a 11 lb rifle.

Coleridge's rifle is about perfect for a hunting rig. Does it get any better in an 8lb rifle?

Hey!! I've been a lurker for a long time, but I just registered so I could participate in this thread. The first pic shows what is hopefully a qualifying target. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it's sub-MOA (barely). I used to shoot rimfire BR and CTC group measurements were calculated by using 4 or 5 sighters and agg'ing the hole dia to subract from OTO group sizes; so on this target I used .220" and not .224" - just an extra element of honesty and a little more accurate.

Whole target picture (calipers not on smallest group because it obscured other groups):
.935", 1.628", 1.002", .692", .780", .801" for an agg of .973".
IMG_5498_zps6ad247ea.jpg

Close-up on best group of target:
IMG_5512_zpsfd087cb2.jpg

I know it's not a qualifying target, but just to show what happens when Neptune's moons are in the right spot:
IMG_5499_zps5d183a93.jpg

Oh yeah, and I did it all with an unmodified, bone-stock Remington VTR in 223 with a cheap Bushnell scope.
IMG_5501_zps704b23e1.jpg

<<Edited to comply with submission format:>>
Shot with my Remington 700 VTR 223 @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average was .973"
Best group was .692"
Cartridge = 223 Rem
Rifle used = Remington 700 VTR
Barrel Length / Type = 20" CrMo tri-fluted
Optics = Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x40 MIL/MIL
Mount = Leupold 15MOA 1pc Picatinny

Shot with reloads
2x fired, annealed, neck-sized 5.56 PSD headstamp
CCI 400 primer
27gr Hodgdon Varget
40gr Nosler HPFB "Varmageddon"
1.900" ogive seating depth / ~ about 2.200 coal

Awesome groups maladat!

RyanMcIntyre, Thanks for posting your groups. Really great to see the results from a bonestock rifle and "regular" scope. What most of us use when hunting. You've really showed why focused trigger time is the most important factor. Kudos!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RyanMcIntyre, Thanks for posting your groups. Really great to see the results from a bonestock rifle and "regular" scope. What most of us use when hunting. You've really showed why focused trigger time is the most important factor. Kudos! </div></div>

Thanks man! Other than a lot of practice, I think keeping good records of your targets and ammo is pretty important too. This should show what factory guns are capable and how much better those custom builds can be!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maladat,
Nice rifle and great shooting. The lighter sticks have much more appeal to me than the 10+ lb rigs. Honestly the only reason my Rock is still around is because it shoots so darn good. Its too heavy for my taste. Of course, my background is hunting and not tactical. I spent many years trying to get a 6 lb rifle to shoot like a 11 lb rifle.

Coleridge's rifle is about perfect for a hunting rig. Does it get any better in an 8lb rifle? </div></div>

+1 on good shooting Maladat. Nice

CT, I too have a MUCH deeper hunting background than tactical. Shot some benchrest "fun" matches & then got into a few "tactical" matches about a year ago. The few I've shot remind me of hunting type situations (at least parts). Guess that's why I've done decent at the few I've been to. I'm in process of building a more suitable rifle (there addictive).

Also, I think 8-8.5# is were it's at for a hunting rifle. My main deer rifle is a stiller predator in 6.5x47L that weighs 8.5# scoped. I've been wanting to shoot it for the "challenge" also but with bowseason in here & the neighboring county's Rifle season coming in this Sat (I hunt it also), it's been tough to get the time. I did load 30 rnds for a heavier rifle the other day, hope to give it a run soon... Not sure I can beat your agg post but it should do better than my hunting rifle
grin.gif

Ryan, good shooting & thanks for posting. I was afraid all these guys shooting tiny groups might scare away the "typical" rifle entries. Nice run.

Here is my last set of groups while changing seating depth. Starting from upper left to right, .040" off the lands cold clean bore. The next three were .015,.010 and .005 into the lands. The bottom 4 were at the lands, .010 from the lands, .020 from the lands and .040 from the lands.

6.5x47 Lapua
Berger 130 VLD
40.7 H4350
CCI 450
2860 fps

130VLD100yds.jpg

8 group average is .579".

I know it doesn't qualify, but I'm slowly getting the load down and felt like sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coleridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ryan, good shooting & thanks for posting. I was afraid all these guys shooting tiny groups might scare away the "typical" rifle entries. Nice run. </div></div>
Thanks!! Someone's gotta hold down last place, may as well make it a competitive spot haha!

Maladat, I'm thinking that with handloads and little load development your rifle will sing! Thats impressive groups for a #4 and factory loads.

Coleridge, my favorite hunting blueprint is a 700 style action in an Edge weight stock with a fluted #4 tube (flutes that mean something, not the shallow superficial ones). With Talley LW's and my go to Leup 3.5-10x40 the total weight will be between 7.5 - 8 lbs depending on long action/short action, barrel length, and bore size.

I should add, for me the fluted #4 (or non-fluted #3) is the cutoff for the light fill stocks. After that give me a standard fill.

nice job RyanMcIntyre and welcome to the leader boards!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanMcIntyre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey!! I've been a lurker for a long time, but I just registered so I could participate in this thread. The first pic shows what is hopefully a qualifying target. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it's sub-MOA (barely). I used to shoot rimfire BR and CTC group measurements were calculated by using 4 or 5 sighters and agg'ing the hole dia to subract from OTO group sizes; so on this target I used .220" and not .224" - just an extra element of honesty and a little more accurate.

Whole target picture (calipers not on smallest group because it obscured other groups):
.935", 1.628", 1.002", .692", .780", .801" for an agg of .973".

Close-up on best group of target:

I know it's not a qualifying target, but just to show what happens when Neptune's moons are in the right spot:

Oh yeah, and I did it all with an unmodified, bone-stock Remington VTR in 223 with a cheap Bushnell scope.

<<Edited to comply with submission format:>>
Shot with my Remington 700 VTR 223 @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average was .973"
Best group was .692"
Cartridge = 223 Rem
Mount = Leupold 15MOA 1pc Picatinny

Shot with reloads
2x fired, annealed, neck-sized 5.56 PSD headstamp
CCI 400 primer
27gr Hodgdon Varget
40gr Nosler HPFB "Varmageddon"
1.900" ogive seating depth / ~ about 2.200 coal </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice job RyanMcIntyre and welcome to the leader boards! </div></div>
Thanks! How long can I keep it? Hahaha
crazy.gif

Thanks for the comments everyone! I also come from a hunting background rather than a "tactical" one and am mostly interested in rifles that I can comfortably carry. Part of what pushed the weight right up against the 9lbs weight limit was my unwillingness to shell out for more than one custom rifle right now and my desire for the rifle to be as close to a do-everything rifle as possible. As a result, it has the 3-24x42 FFP March scope which has awesome glass, a great mil reticle, great mil turrets, and which is very light for the magnification and features it packs, but at 23 oz is still pretty heavy for this type of rifle which would normally have a scope in the 12-16 oz range.

I went out today and shot two competition targets at 300 yards, one with Hornady factory 120gr AMAX ammo and the other with Hornady factory 140gr AMAX ammo. I was not as dialed in today and committed to several shots on each target when everything was not "just right" and also committed to several shots on each target when everything WAS "just right" but then had things get away from "just right" and made the shot anyway and had a number of flyers to show for it and a few not-sub-MOA groups. I also noticed that I was not paying close enough attention to my rifle tilt from side to side and I think this contributed to my horizontal dispersion in a way that is not really noticable at 100 yards. I still shot pretty well, but the consistency wasn't there.

I have been focusing on watching the shot break and taking a mental snapshot of the reticle and target as the shot breaks and the flyers and larger groups today are definitely my fault and not the rifle's or ammo's. All the larger groups had shots that I knew and saw were just not right as they broke.

Honestly, I am very convinced that the factory ammunition is accurate enough out of the rifle that at this point any potential increase in accuracy from handloading wouldn't really help me. I am sure that a better shooter could keep all the groups smaller than .5 or .6 MOA and get the average group size down in the .3's or low .4's and I really don't need any more accuracy than that.

I shot both targets, sixty total rounds, in about an hour with no breaks and the group size did not open up and the POI did not vary over the course of fire. The smallest group of the day was my first group on the second target so it came after firing 30 rounds in about a half an hour.

I am going over to the 300 yard thread to post my targets now.

I wanted to better my last 223 target using a different load with a heavier bullet. I'm only .036" better and my smallest group is actually larger than my last target, damn. I'm still happy to get a stock rifle to shoot like this, but the perfectionist in me wants more. In reality though, it's kind of nice knowing I can shoot 40gr and 68gr pills to the same POI and expect about the same accuracy.

1.185", 1.007", .991", .887", .720", .834"
IMG_5513_zpsd4c55d45.jpg

Best group of the target: .720"
IMG_5514_zps672c249b.jpg

Shot with Remington 700 VTR 223 @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average was .937"
Best group was .720"
Cartridge = 223 Rem
Mount = Leupold 15MOA 1pc Picatinny, Weaver Picatinny rings

Shot with reloads
2x fired, annealed, neck-sized Federal commercial brass on Lee collet die and Forster Ultra micrometer seater die
Tula SR primer
26gr Hodgdon Varget, trickled to weight on Redding powder measures and Redding #2 scale
68gr Hornady HPBT Match, moly
N/A ogive seating depth / 2.350 OAL

Maladat, I'm coming for you!! ... until someone else shoots and puts a bigger gap between us on the boards. Hahaha

Testing seems to indicate that I can do better than this with another load, but I wanted to get a 308 target on here before too much time goes by.

1.266", .738", .829", .837", .813", .694" - agg .863"
IMG_5515_zps0c376dc7.jpg

Best group .694"
IMG_5516_zpsf9a6d792.jpg

Remington SPS Tactical 308, and like the other rifle I'm shooting in this thread, is actually quite stock. The reciever, bolt, and barrel are unmodified.
IMG_5517_zps633cd0d0.jpg

Shot @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average = .863"
Best group = .694"
Cartridge = 308 Win
Rifle = Remington 700 SPS Tactical
Barrel Length / Type = 20" CrMo Varmint profile with JP Ent brake
Optics = Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40mm M1
Mount = Badger Ordnance 20MOA 1pc Picatinny, Leupold Mk4 rings

Shot with reloads
First firing, FL-sized Hornady Match brass on Redding sizer and Forster Ultra micrometer seater die
Magtech 9 1/2 primer
45gr Hodgdon Varget, trickled to weight on Redding powder measures and Redding #2 scale
168gr Hornady HPBT Match, moly
3.220" ogive seating depth / 2.840" OAL

I was a little slow to get up this morning so driving out to a 300 yd range was out. I will have to shoot 300 in the near future. In the meantime here is my best effort at 100 yds.

This rifle is my first custom bolt gun build and it turned out pretty good.

7mm RSAUM
Bighorn Arms short action receiver
28" Krieger #17 HV barrel 1-9 tw
KMW Sentinel stock with IMB
Alpha Mag for loading to 2.97 OAL
Timney trigger set at 2 lbs
March FX 5-40x56 FFP scope
Badger rings
Thunder Beast 30P-1 suppressor

IMG_8111_zpsfcb15c6c.jpg

IMG_8112_zpsbb6d5eae.jpg

IMG_8110_zpsb6061d82.jpg

nice job on improving your average score! WTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanMcIntyre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wanted to better my last 223 target using a different load with a heavier bullet. I'm only .036" better and my smallest group is actually larger than my last target, damn. I'm still happy to get a stock rifle to shoot like this, but the perfectionist in me wants more. In reality though, it's kind of nice knowing I can shoot 40gr and 68gr pills to the same POI and expect about the same accuracy.

1.185", 1.007", .991", .887", .720", .834"

Best group of the target: .720"

Shot with Remington 700 VTR 223 @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average was .937"
Best group was .720"
Cartridge = 223 Rem
Mount = Leupold 15MOA 1pc Picatinny, Weaver Picatinny rings

Shot with reloads
2x fired, annealed, neck-sized Federal commercial brass on Lee collet die and Forster Ultra micrometer seater die
Tula SR primer
26gr Hodgdon Varget, trickled to weight on Redding powder measures and Redding #2 scale
68gr Hornady HPBT Match, moly
N/A ogive seating depth / 2.350 OAL </div></div>

Damn nice work Ryan Mcintyre for getting on the boards twice for using two different bolt actions! Good job and nice shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanMcIntyre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maladat, I'm coming for you!! ... until someone else shoots and puts a bigger gap between us on the boards. Hahaha

Testing seems to indicate that I can do better than this with another load, but I wanted to get a 308 target on here before too much time goes by.

1.266", .738", .829", .837", .813", .694" - agg .863"

Best group .694"

Remington SPS Tactical 308, and like the other rifle I'm shooting in this thread, is actually quite stock. The reciever, bolt, and barrel are unmodified.

Shot @ 100yards with Harris bipod & rear bag.
Average = .863"
Best group = .694"
Cartridge = 308 Win
Rifle = Remington 700 SPS Tactical
Barrel Length / Type = 20" CrMo Varmint profile with JP Ent brake
Optics = Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40mm M1
Mount = Badger Ordnance 20MOA 1pc Picatinny, Leupold Mk4 rings

Shot with reloads
First firing, FL-sized Hornady Match brass on Redding sizer and Forster Ultra micrometer seater die
Magtech 9 1/2 primer
45gr Hodgdon Varget, trickled to weight on Redding powder measures and Redding #2 scale
168gr Hornady HPBT Match, moly
3.220" ogive seating depth / 2.840" OAL </div></div>

my god squin,,, that rifle and shooting is sick man. WTG on getting first place and making honorable mention#1... you came damn close to getting the crown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a little slow to get up this morning so driving out to a 300 yd range was out. I will have to shoot 300 in the near future. In the meantime here is my best effort at 100 yds.

This rifle is my first custom bolt gun build and it turned out pretty good.

7mm RSAUM
Big Horn short action receiver
28" Krieger #17 HV barrel 1-9 tw
KMW Sentinel stock with IMB
Alpha Mag for loading to 2.97 OAL
Timney trigger set at 2 lbs
March FX 5-40x56 FFP scope
Thunder Beast 30P-1 suppressor </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my god squin,,, that rifle and shooting is sick man. WTG on getting first place and making honorable mention#1... you came damn close to getting the crown.
</div></div>

Thanks. Getting 6 groups under .375 is going to be tough.

you mind me asking how much you dropped down on your rifle? full set up with scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my god squin,,, that rifle and shooting is sick man. WTG on getting first place and making honorable mention#1... you came damn close to getting the crown.
</div></div>

Thanks. Getting 6 groups under .375 is going to be tough. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice job on improving your average score! WTG</div></div>
Thank you for saying so. It's not the dramatic improvement I was hoping for but I'll take it any way I can get it. Experimenting is never finished, so this rifle should be back for more, good or bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn nice work Ryan Mcintyre for getting on the boards twice for using two different bolt actions! Good job and nice shooting!</div></div>
Thanks again! Hopefully the next targets for the 308 show that dramatic improvement I want. One of these rifles needs to give these custom gun owners a fit!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you mind me asking how much you dropped down on your rifle?</div></div>
+1
Actually, I wouldn't be shy about posting everything I have invested in my gear. If nothing, 5 years from now when this thread shows up on a Google search, someone will see I spent $2k and the results I got compared to what spending $10k gets you.

Here's mine. Not the best day I have ever had, but definitely not the worst.

1.004, 0.821, 0.992, 1.376, 0.661, 1.651= AVG of 1.084

This is from edge to edge.
bigpic_zps60a34120.jpg

Here is my best group today.

best_zps6306eb70.jpg

Groups shot with a remmy 5r milspec 308. Have 4,000 rounds through her and currently waiting for my new Krieger to come in. Ammo was Federal Gold Medal Match 175 SMKs. Next week I am going to shoot my reloads and compare them.

Squin,

What velocity are you getting with that load. S.D.? How close to max pressure are you?

Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DZelenka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Squin,

What velocity are you getting with that load. S.D.? How close to max pressure are you?

Dan</div></div>

I was experimenting with 58.3 gr of N560 in the target above, but I have not chronied that load. However, 58.7 gr of N560 behind 7mm Berger 180 gr Hybrid seated .015 off the lands with 2.96 OAL measured 2960 fps, 11.5 SD. No pressure signs. QuickLoad says 54,837 psi and 96.4% fill. I have not tried to find the max load since this load is right on an accuracy node according to QuickLoad.

I'm running mag fed from a short action so I lose some case capacity seating the long Hybrids. N560 and Magpro are working very well with the 2.96 OAL.

I will preface this all by saying that I opened my second box of ammo to find it partially full, and I mentally thought I was done at 5 groups instead of 6 (since the box ran out). So I know this will not count for anything, but this thread is all in fun anyways. I'm terrible, but I wanted to participate.

The wind was roaring today, which made it more difficult. Blew my spotter over right into a pile of horse crap (pic below).

The worst part honestly was forgetting my rear bag and using an extra glove, rag and bandanna to act like one. It was nowhere near as solid as a normal bag.

The end results weren't fantastic. I know the gun is supposed to be rated at 1MOA, but I can get them under .75" on most occasions. And I really don't like the Hornady Z-Max as much as some good ol' Federal SMK loads.

Also my caliper shot of best group isn't as easy to tell, so I included multiple. The battery was dying and it started giving me a bad read. Said my best group was 1.392" wide when it was 1.153". Thus the scratched out number. You can confirm by noting the ruler slide on the caliper.

Data:

Rifle: R700 SPS. Only thing that's not original on it is the Jewell trigger and AX chassis
Optics: Vortex 4-16 FFP MOA
Position: Prone with bipod and makeshift rear bag
Range: 100yds lasered
Wind: 4-14mph (see photo) from 135 degrees
Temp: 75.5F
Humidity: 69.5%
Baro: 29.82 inHG
Alt: ~200'
Angle: 0

25-shot average: 0.985
Best group: .845

Pix:

c6998a4caad05f26633565d80bfdc824.jpg

3c3a04fc3416384c47efbd523ac234e5.jpg

Sandwalk, nice rifle and shooting, but your "range" is absolutely gorgeous!