• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 10x Rifle scope capabilities

WinMag531

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2018
I have a 3.5-10 power on my .270 win , heading out west with a mule deer deer tag in my pocket.

Just posting to gather some info on other shooters more experienced than I with shooting a 10x and what effective ranges of different people are. My local clubs range only goes to 300 and I do pretty good with it off the 300 yard line but I'm curious on thoughts for 5 or 600 on targets or game who's done it thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230902_120736.jpg
    20230902_120736.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
I have a 3.5-10 power on my .270 win , heading out west with a mule deer deer tag in my pocket.

Just posting to gather some info on other shooters more experienced than I with shooting a 10x and what effective ranges of different people are. My local clubs range only goes to 300 and I do pretty good with it off the 300 yard line but I'm curious on thoughts for 5 or 600 on targets or game who's done it thoughts?
You can be certain that 10x won't be the reason you miss a deer at 500 to 600 yards.

10X will take deer size game much farther than most shoot, at least 800 yards. And that's beyond ethical distance for most.

Reactions: WinMag531
I always end up coming back to a good high quality 10X. Even if I have a higher power optic mounted I always seem to naturally use it at 10X. I've gone 800 to 1200 yards many times with a 10X.
With a 10X the clarity of the optic has to be exceptional. Just my 2 cents. I do not shoot benchrest

I always end up coming back to a good high quality 10X. Even if I have a higher power optic mounted I always seem to naturally use it at 10X. I've gone 800 to 1200 yards many times with a 10X.
With a 10X the clarity of the optic has to be exceptional. Just my 2 cents. I do not shoot benchrest
Me either

I use a couple SWFA straight 10x pretty often here in the deserts of Wyoming for antelope and mule deer hunting. Be realistic about what your capable of and you'll be fine. I limit my shots to 550 and in most of the time and 10x is plenty for that.

For shooting steel I have taken my 260 and a 308 out to 1200 yards with 10x just fine.

I run mostly fixed 10x non competition from 100 to 1080 yds. As everyone says, you absolutely see your target at those ranges, and trace and hits are not a problem.
The main trade offs that I have run into with 10x are 1) harder to be absolutely precise at 100yd load development and 2) harder sometimes to see dirt splash on misses at 1000yds.

I run mostly fixed 10x non competition from 100 to 1080 yds. As everyone says, you absolutely see your target at those ranges, and trace and hits are not a problem.
The main trade offs that I have run into with 10x are 1) harder to be absolutely precise at 100yd load development and 2) harder sometimes to see dirt splash on misses at 1000yds.
That said, I’m hoping you get solid dope at 500 out there, before hunting at 500.

SWFA 10X fixed aren't the best, but they're decent. The rockchuck was at 533 yards and the badger was at 659 yards (260AI). Both were coldbore shots. And both hit where I was aiming. 10X if fine. It's not ultra precise but I've hit Tide bottle about the size of gallon jugs at 1115 yards with my 308 Win using the 10X.
1693860073778.jpeg
1693860122206.jpeg
1693860352116.jpeg

SWFA 10X fixed aren't the best, but they're decent. The rockchuck was at 533 yards and the badger was at 659 yards (260AI). Both were coldbore shots. And both hit where I was aiming. 10X if fine. It's not ultra precise but I've hit Tide bottle about the size of gallon jugs at 1115 yards with my 308 Win using the 10X.
View attachment 8219617View attachment 8219619View attachment 8219626
Damn nice shooting!
Snipers with fixed 10x MST100’s and MK4’s have put a lot of dicks in the dirt at far greater distances than you intend to

Oh im sure they have i wouldent call my loads "typical' they are far from factory if that's what you ment. Far from it. 130 grain going over 3k shooting quarter to half moa, at 100 yards.... not bad for an 8lb hunting rifle i built of a 1976 rem, Imo anyways. I've killed out to 436 with it and rang steel at 600 ,don't plan on shooting past 4 depending on wind for my muley tag, thanks for the input!

Reactions: xsn10s
Snipers with fixed 10x MST100’s and MK4’s have put a lot of dicks in the dirt at far greater distances than you intend to hunt.

The limited travel in that 1” tube optic, most likely a shit reticle, and typical 270 loads are going to be a far greater hinderance than magnification.
Oh im sure they have i wouldent call my loads "typical' they are far from factory if that's what you ment. Far from it. 130 grain going over 3k shooting quarter to half moa, at 100 yards.... not bad for an 8lb hunting rifle i built of a 1976 rem, Imo anyways. I've killed out to 436 with it and rang steel at 600 ,don't plan on shooting past 4 depending on wind for my muley tag, thanks for the input!

Comes here to ask for advice from people who have more experience shooting LR with 10x optics, but is suddenly a subject matter expert when getting feedback they don’t like.

If you’ve shot steel at 600 yards with it, when why the fuck are you asking if it’ll work for that?

Reactions: Slides and S12A
Comes here to ask for advice from people who have more experience shooting LR with 10x optics, but is suddenly a subject matter expert when getting feedback they don’t like.

If you’ve shot steel at 600 yards with it, when why the fuck are you asking if it’ll work for that?
Read the original post bike rider , says what are the experiences or thoughts of other shooters with more experience than i shooting 5 or 600 with a ten power scope on targets and or game hoping to hear or see success on game at extended ranges ??? Like some replied, mainly trying to gauge how popular it is. Im a hunter first punching paper isint my thing unless im working on loads but then there's always that one guy like you, a real internet tough guy, you like talking tough on fourms? People with your attitudes on these fourms are a dime a dozen probably get picked on alot so you come here to let off a bit of steam in fantasy land where there's no repercussions for running your jib come on here to bash my rifle and scope lol mighty tough of ya don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way outta this post dbag

Learning to quarter the target with the reticle is a key skill if you don’t have a ton of magnification. All my scopes go up to 15x, some up to 35x, but Louisiana mirage forces me to the lower end of the mag range on a regular basis. I’ve made 1115 yard hits at 12X.

I’d be more worried about the range at which you can identify targets clearly than the range at which you can hit them. If you’ve got a good set of binoculars too and can confirm the animal is one you want to harvest (buck, doe, etc) you should be good out to as far as the rifles supersonic range.

Learning to quarter the target with the reticle is a key skill if you don’t have a ton of magnification. All my scopes go up to 15x, some up to 35x, but Louisiana mirage forces me to the lower end of the mag range on a regular basis. I’ve made 1115 yard hits at 12X.

I’d be more worried about the range at which you can identify targets clearly than the range at which you can hit them. If you’ve got a good set of binoculars too and can confirm the animal is one you want to harvest (buck, doe, etc) you should be good out to as far as the rifles supersonic range.
Right on ive never shot in heat like that, I've got a buddy down in Lafayette don't know how you guys handle that humidity down there!

Reactions: themightytimmah
I think a fixed 10 is about the most beautiful thing to hunt with. However, I don't hunt with them anymore. On the low end you give up quick, close shots. Now you'll have 3x, so that won't matter. On the top end what you won't have is assessment power. I like the top end magnification to be higher than my binos, so that I can go beyond initial glassing when it comes to aging and selecting targets among groups of animals. Shot placement probably won't be a substantial improvement over a 10x shot, but time on glass will be more informative.

I think a fixed 10 is about the most beautiful thing to hunt with. However, I don't hunt with them anymore. On the low end you give up quick, close shots. Now you'll have 3x, so that won't matter. On the top end what you won't have is assessment power. I like the top end magnification to be higher than my binos, so that I can go beyond initial glassing when it comes to aging and selecting targets among groups of animals. Shot placement probably won't be a substantial improvement over a 10x shot, but time on glass will be more informative.
Thanks for the reply bore, in open country I usually carry 12x50 binos , we will have a nice spotter with higher magnification with us too. I figured the 3.5 to 10 would about cover me from hunting timber to open areas. I'm surprised at the positive feedback I got on here from you guys about the 10x within my group of friends I thought I was the only one seems my shooting buddies have higher zoom I just didint see the need for hunting I chose the 50mm objective to gather more light towards that last hour of daylight and once you zoom those other scopes in around that time it just gets darker and darker and the quality goes way down feel like I make the right choice for this rifle trying to keep it on the lighter side, later on I actually read that the 50 doesent gather anymore light than a 44 so I guess I'm not totally sure

Fucking a right make a post and you get on here and shit on it bashing my rifle and talking tough get a life man mr 5000 post badge award go get laid

I didn’t bash your rifle Elmer Fudd, I gave you the facts of what will be the limiting factors in your rifle system based on two decades of long range shooting experience and you got your labia all tangled up because it’s not what you wanted to hear and then you contradicted yourself with your own post claiming you already have experience with the very thing you’re asking about.

Sounds like you'll be all glassed up fine. I may or may not be able to speak to wherever you'll exactly be hunting, BUT sometimes your time window from locating the muley you want to when you lose the shot is relatively short. Not all game are that way. One big waste of time occurs when hunters can't re-locate the animal when they get on gun. And its usually because they have so much magnification dialed on that it kills their fov. So I guess I don't see a downside to 10x at those distances.

Light transmission, lense coatings, exit pupil, obj diameter...kind of a whole different discussion.

Throw up a pic when you fill the tag! Best of luck

One of the more important things with glass quality and magnification is being able to see and count antlers. Most tags specify no/spike/forked horn or better, that kind of thing, so if you want to see if you’re looking at a spike or if he’s got a couple forks, that tends to be when glass pays off.

I didn’t bash your rifle Elmer Fudd, I gave you the facts of what will be the limiting factors in your rifle system based on two decades of long range shooting experience and you got your labia all tangled up because it’s not what you wanted to hear and then you contradicted yourself with your own post claiming you already have experience with the very thing you’re asking about.

Your alright biker boy lol The Elmer Fudd comment made me chuckle a bit yeah yeah I get it because of the caliber i love that cartridge. and he'll yeah my labia got tangled It's a hunting rifle I want to be as accurate as i can make it got all these other guys posting about oh yeah 10x power will work fine! Mfers posting kills on badgers and shit at 400 plus yards then there's you taking a turn to negative town lol, it's not a presicion target rifle it never will be I get it I'm happy with what it is just more or less wanted to hear from people who hunt and shoot similar setups and have taken game , builds some confidence hearing it opposed to a bunch of guys at the range shooting 24x scopes saying that's what I should of bought, hathcock didint have no 24x when he smoked that nva general at 700 plus did he

Sounds like you'll be all glassed up fine. I may or may not be able to speak to wherever you'll exactly be hunting, BUT sometimes your time window from locating the muley you want to when you lose the shot is relatively short. Not all game are that way. One big waste of time occurs when hunters can't re-locate the animal when they get on gun. And its usually because they have so much magnification dialed on that it kills their fov. So I guess I don't see a downside to 10x at those distances.

Light transmission, lense coatings, exit pupil, obj diameter...kind of a whole different discussion.

Throw up a pic when you fill the tag! Best of luck
Will be hunting north central Mt i will definetly put up pic when I punch the tag ! Thanks again for the reply

One of the more important things with glass quality and magnification is being able to see and count antlers. Most tags specify no/spike/forked horn or better, that kind of thing, so if you want to see if you’re looking at a spike or if he’s got a couple forks, that tends to be when glass pays off.
Should be able to to achieve that with binos or spotter on a tripod if not the rifle itself. That's the plan anyways

I'll tell you I live and hunt out here in the west. And the farthest shot so far I've taken on big game was 125 yards. I used a "Fudd" 22-250 rifle to take a chuck at 583 yards with 9 mph winds. I never thought of taking a buck or elk beyond 400 yards until I moved to my current area. There are some spots where getting within 600-700 yards is tough. In Central Oregon I stalked even chucks to get close in. They'd spot me 800 yards or more away and I'd still stalk within 300 yards. I practice out to a mile not to take a mile shot on game, but to get better at wind calls and plugging in my data. If you haven't practiced a lot past 300 yards then I'd set 300 yards as my max. Beyond that you won't know if the ammo, the rifle, or you abilities are the limiting factor. Good luck on your hunt!!!

I filtered through more of the posts and noticed you have shot out to 600 yards with your set up. But I don't know you ammo or your experience with calling the wind. And shooting in canyons like we have in the west can be tricky too. So having a spotting scope or something where you can adjust your focus inside the distance to read the wind between you and the target is more important than 10X magnification. Having a good ballistics app that you've tested out to distance is a good thing to have also. So 10X isn't really the limiting factor here imo. A good clear scope with dependable dials or some kind of range compensating reticle will work. Heck I've taken my Leupold VariXIII 2.5-8X on my Fudd 30-06 Featherweight out to 800 yards by dialing a 300 yard zero and using the mildot reticle for holdover. So magnification isn't the only limiting factor. A 130 gr bullet depending on it's design is. Is a great deer round and a decent elk round, but the 130 gr BC's aren't great. I think if you stick within 400 yards or your honest assessment of YOUR abilities and you'll be fine for deer.

Honest question, since I'm not a hunter - how many hunters take "up quick, close shots", and how often? Like, is this idea driven by common experience, or is it kind of like people fantasizing about their AR with an LPVO fitting into a DMR and CQB role when all they ever shoot is cans on the side of the road?

Honest question, since I'm not a hunter - how many hunters take "up quick, close shots", and how often? Like, is this idea driven by common experience, or is it kind of like people fantasizing about their AR with an LPVO fitting into a DMR and CQB role when all they ever shoot is cans on the side of the road?

In the east, a lot. It's also possible to jump an animal up close out west where typical shots can be 300+ yards. I've hunted mostly in the east and the majority of the deer killing I've done (culling with damage permits which I don't consider hunting) has been further shots on large open fields, but when I have actively hunted deer the majority of the ones I've shot were within 75 yards on the way to or from a stand or creeping around the woods and thickets and jumping them. A fixed 10x optic sucks ass for that.

Not in this western state. Its buck or doe.

I filtered through more of the posts and noticed you have shot out to 600 yards with your set up. But I don't know you ammo or your experience with calling the wind. And shooting in canyons like we have in the west can be tricky too. So having a spotting scope or something where you can adjust your focus inside the distance to read the wind between you and the target is more important than 10X magnification. Having a good ballistics app that you've tested out to distance is a good thing to have also. So 10X isn't really the limiting factor here imo. A good clear scope with dependable dials or some kind of range compensating reticle will work. Heck I've taken my Leupold VariXIII 2.5-8X on my Fudd 30-06 Featherweight out to 800 yards by dialing a 300 yard zero and using the mildot reticle for holdover. So magnification isn't the only limiting factor. A 130 gr bullet depending on it's design is. Is a great deer round and a decent elk round, but the 130 gr BC's aren't great. I think if you stick within 400 yards or your honest assessment of YOUR abilities and you'll be fine for deer.
I don't have a ton of experience calling the wind, we used my buddies kestrel with my load in it with applied ballistics for windage. I have a custom dial turret on it for my exact load . It's definetly gonna be windy out there, I've killed a deer at 436 eith that rifle using the cds with very little wind on farm land and the dial itself is pretty spot on. No matter what I end up keeping my max range at out in Mt I'll have to watch the wind I'm thinking 3 to 400 will probably be it. Shooting steel with a buddy on a nice summer day with a kestrel and all the time in the world will be alot different than late October in Montana on live targets. I'll be in an area with a high deer density and I've killed scores of whitetails through the regular season and with crop damage permits so those big mulies and a change of scenery should be alot of fun

In the east, a lot. It's also possible to jump an animal up close out west where typical shots can be 300+ yards. I've hunted mostly in the east and the majority of the deer killing I've done (culling with damage permits which I don't consider hunting) has been further shots on large open fields, but when I have actively hunted deer the majority of the ones I've shot were within 75 yards on the way to or from a stand or creeping around the woods and thickets and jumping them. A fixed 10x optic sucks ass for that.
I agree and have shot plenty of damage permits on farm ground as well. A fixed 10 would suck major for woods hunting , when I'm in the woods I keep my scope on 3.5 power I don't think I'd ever own a fixed 10. I have an old 7600 rem also in .270 that has a fixed 4 on it that's a good woods setup killed 2 last year with it

I shot this buck at 509y with a 308 and a fixed 10x.

My mountain hunting rifles mostly wear 2-7x and 3-9x my desert killing rifles usually have higher magnification ranges but I still limit myself to 550 and in for the first shot.

I have a smokeless muzzleloader that is using that same stock and 10x scope that'll be killing a buck antelope this fall also.... currently doped to 400 yards.

Attachments

• IMG952537.jpg
    IMG952537.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 36
An apples and oranges situation comparison. I've been a sniper and done cqb but hunted far longer and more frequently. In an op environment transitioning between urban and open, helos and vehicles, different mission tasks, etc the flexibility is a real positive. "Necessary" I don't know I recall it like that.

But hunting its most certainly cost me many pigs and coyotes while out glassing for deer. I'd rather lose a later shot on something I hunt for fun than miss out on the nuisance abatement the land needs. 10X will be perfect for a cross field shot on some red deer, but if 5 pigs come trotting out at 60...I'd prefer not to just see hair. And that anecdote is only 4 days old.

I'd argue jumping animals happens about as often or more than actually finding what I'm looking for lol. Maybe I'm the long pole in that tent, but Ima do it all the same.

Last edited:
An apples and oranges situation comparison. I've been a sniper and done cqb but hunted far longer and more frequently. In an op environment transitioning between urban and open, helos and vehicles, different mission tasks, etc the flexibility is a real positive. "Necessary" I don't know I recall it like that.

But hunting its most certainly cost me many pigs and coyotes while out glassing for deer. I'd rather lose a later shot on something I hunt for fun than miss out on the nuisance abatement the land needs. 10X will be perfect for a cross field shot on some red deer, but if 5 pigs come trotting out at 60...I'd prefer not to just see hair. And that anecdote is only 4 days old.
That makes a lot of sense. For all the times I hear hunters bash each other over ethical shots at distance, I've wondered about "snap shots" at close range on deer, especially when you don't want to spoil any of the meat, etc. Again, I'm not a hunter, so I just wanted to hear back from people who actually do it, and you guys have answered pretty clearly. Thanks to you and the other guys who've taken time to answer.

Dropping pests is a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Reactions: dirtybores
I agree and have shot plenty of damage permits on farm ground as well. A fixed 10 would suck major for woods hunting , when I'm in the woods I keep my scope on 3.5 power I don't think I'd ever own a fixed 10. I have an old 7600 rem also in .270 that has a fixed 4 on it that's a good woods setup killed 2 last year with it
I've hit sagerats at less than 10 yards with my fixed 10X. I wouldn't say it "sucks ass" but it isn't close to idea lol. I've even hit jackrabbits or the run on 9X at 50 yards. Of course lower power is easier but it's doable. The west can have dense forests that come close to the rain forests in the South. I have a fixed 2.5X on my 45-70 for bears in Alaska. I just picked up a SWFA 6X to swap out 4.5-14X50mm on my PSS to go on the new 7mm Rem Mag. But I'm pretty surprised by it so I'm still deciding which rifle to put it on. There are pros and cons to any set up. I went with a fixed the SWFA 10X because its tough, cheap, decent glass, good dials, and not made in China. The SWFA 6X might be another option. Otherwise for variables I'm going to go with at least a NF or Trijicon for their toughness. About the limits of my price range

My mountain hunting rifles mostly wear 2-7x and 3-9x my desert killing rifles usually have higher magnification ranges but I still limit myself to 550 and in for the first shot.

I have a smokeless muzzleloader that is using that same stock and 10x scope that'll be killing a buck antelope this fall also.... currently doped to 400 yards.
Badass

On big game all of my shots so far have been 125 yards and under (30-06 2.5-8X32mm). My first big game was a running shot on caribou up in Alaska about 60 yards (45-70 1.5-5X). I'd say the vast majority of hunters are 200-300 yards and under. Probably closer than that. I practice for a 600-700 yard shot because I might not be able to get closer. But I love the stalk, it's just getting harder to stalk them FOR ME now. And for coyotes in my area? I see tons of them but they are running 900 yards out and farther most of the time. They are well educated.

Last edited:
I mean, I'm sure this has been said and said better than I will - but ...

Both the US Army AND US Marine Corps used 10X scopes & blasted PLENTY of fools using 10X scopes for what, decades? Several different wars?

And while I agree with the people saying more & bigger is 'better' ... Even the Marines first went from 10 to IIRC 3-12x50 and I don't know what's being used these days - so many different rifles and scopes and so many different 'upgrades' , calibers, etc. etc. etc.

But a pretty basic 3-9x40mm scope did a lot of military work before a couple-a-few-different 10X scopes served for years.

Do I like the 5-25x56mm scope I have on my own rig? Sure do. But again, plenty of work has been done with 3-9 and 10x scopes.

Nice buck I'd be more than happy with a buck like that!

On big game all of my shots so far have been 125 yards and under (30-06 2.5-8X32mm). My first big game was a running shot on caribou up in Alaska about 60 yards (45-70 1.5-5X). I'd say the vast majority of hunters are 200-300 yards and under. Probably closer than that. I practice for a 600-700 yard shot because I might not be able to get closer. But I love the stalk, it's just getting harder to stalk them FOR ME now. And for coyotes in my area? I see tons of them but they are running 900 yards out and farther most of the time. They are well educated.
Calling coyotes in my area during daylight is very difficult, I have a sightmark wraith on an AR platform I put together and use a small thermal.monocular as a scanner while the call is running coupled with the nightvision (wraith) shot 6 last winter they are so damn smart . Once you learn the sounds for the time of year they wanna hear it gets easier, seems like our west there's alot more daytime activity , that's what I see on TV and hear from friends anyways

Calling coyotes in my area during daylight is very difficult, I have a sightmark wraith on an AR platform I put together and use a small thermal.monocular as a scanner while the call is running coupled with the nightvision (wraith) shot 6 last winter they are so damn smart . Once you learn the sounds for the time of year they wanna hear it gets easier, seems like our west there's alot more daytime activity , that's what I see on TV and hear from friends anyways
Out here in Eastern Oregon they've been hit with tons of calls. They're conditioned to start running if they hear a rig, and run faster when a rig stops. I'll start calling again because not many are out hunting or trapping them recently. There's no money in it.

Not uncommon in the eastern woods and extremely common in many parts of central and northern Europe

BTW that's not an LPVO, but an Aimpoint H series (either an H30 or H34)

Last edited:
Not uncommon in the eastern woods and extremely common in many parts of central and northern Europe

BTW that's not an LPVO, but an Aimpoint H series (either an H30 or H34)

We get to doing simular shooting bunny thumping or shooting rats out here. It's a lot of fun and good practice.

Reactions: 308pirate