• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 10x Rifle scope capabilities

10x is plenty of magnification for the range stated. However, a fixed power is going to give you a narrow field of view at closer ranges, depending on the rifle/scope purpose I'd say seriouly consider a variable power scope. I know another veteran here will probably stomp a mud puddle in my butt for this thread but with current tech. variables are just as tough as fixed powers plus the added feature of a wide field of view at low power.

My buddy shoots elr competitions at 7x so he can use the full reticle for holdovers rather than use a prism.

10x is plenty of magnification for the range stated. However, a fixed power is going to give you a narrow field of view at closer ranges, depending on the rifle/scope purpose I'd say seriouly consider a variable power scope. I know another veteran here will probably stomp a mud puddle in my butt for this thread but with current tech. variables are just as tough as fixed powers plus the added feature of a wide field of view at low power.
Talking with a manufacturer, the only real difference between a fixed and variable power scope is that one has a mag ring and the other does not. They both use the same erector, the same dials, same lens setup etc., the only difference being that one might have the fixed reticle on the first focal plane vs the second, but by and large, it's cheaper to just use the same design. The only "durability" difference is that one has one more egress point (mag ring) for water to get in vs the other.

Fixed 10x being more durable is just hearsay in 2023.

Last edited: