• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10x50mm or 8x42mm?

PatrickChewing

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 28, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Hey Guys,
    I'm looking to buy my first set of hunting binoculars and I need some advice. I think that I'm going to purchase a Burris Signature Select binoculars and I can get them in 10x50 or 8x42. What would you guys choose for all around use?

Also any experience with the Signature Series? Anything else I should look at in that price range?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Pc

Re: 10x50mm or 8x42mm?

Me personally, I prefer binos at a max power of 7 or 8x. I use them to scan a large area, then if I need further detail I will go to the rifle scope or spotting scope, depending on the situation of course. I also don't go over 40mm on the objective, as I prefer more compact but still useful. Mine also stay around my neck 90% of the time. My current pair are 8x32 if I remember correctly.

Sorry, but I haven't owned a pair from Burris, so I can't help there.

depends on what type of hunting you do as far as terrain...less that 200 yards would take my 8x..more that 200 yards would take my 10x....if you cannot buy both...buy the 10x

If you don't plan on ever using support for the binoculars, stick with the 8 power.
    10 power is just a bit too much.

Leupold makes what they call the "Switchpower". You can choose from x7 to x10 power.

Nate,
    I just got to looking into the switch power. Very tempting and SWFA has a $200 mail in rebate!

Anyone with some first hand experience?

Thank you all!

Pc

i personally like to think that 10x50 are best because you have more magnification when you need it. cause if you are scaning your lease with your rifle scope, then you notice the game warden and he notices you taking aim at him ouch! x50 i think also usually takes in more light if you are hunting all the way up to dark or early morning hunting before light. x50 takes in a whole lot of what little light you have. i have also been told that the straight binos are way better, because they dont break up the glass into 3 different views, if that makes since? im not sure really how to explain it sorry. apparently they use a 3 stages ofmirrors and the straigh binos are nothing but glass

8x42 for hunting. 8x is easier to keep steady and 42 is easier to carry and wear for longer periods of time.

I've picked up some Vortex Vipers that are on closeout with some of the site sponsors and love them!

I own a pair of viper 8x42 and fury 6.5x32 and both are great.

Hunting in the thick brush of southern Michigan is the reason for the 6.5x, that and wanting something low power for squirrel hunting.

If you are glassing over great open distances the 10x would be my choice. other wise a 7 or 8 will work great. Cameralandny (a sponser here) has some great deals going right now for vortex and minox

I use a set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 for work. If you have been taught how to hold binoculars, then 10x is not a problem.

If you think you just stick binos to your eyes, then you may have a problem with the higher power.

The Diamondbacks are not expensive, durable and work well in low light.

Wildlife is my business and I have used everything from cheap Bushnells to Swarovski EL 10x42. At times these will be used all day long, several hours on end and back and forth from a spotting scope. Buy as high end as you can afford and then some. Not getting headaches from eye strain alone is worth alot. My experience has been to spend more for binoculars than for a spotting scope. Unless you need clarity at 40+ power you'll do better with a great set of binoculars.

The ELs are at the upper end and not cheap. There are some very good sets of glass for less. Some of the Zeiss compacts are very good. I'm not a fan of Burris or Redfield. I have not used the Vipers, but I would trust what Lonewolf has to say on the subject.

Good luck.

I use a set of Leupold Acadias in a 10x42. Im glassing over some open country so the 10x are a must. On the other hand, like it was said before, if you are hunting in some thicker terrain and within 300 yards then the lower magnification would probably be more siuted for you. Ive never dealt with Burris, but I do know Leupold has some great glass for the $$$ and their cusomer service is outstanding, especially if you go with the "Gold Ring" models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 for work. If you have been taught how to hold binoculars, then 10x is not a problem.

If you think you just stick binos to your eyes, then you may have a problem with the higher power.

The Diamondbacks are not expensive, durable and work well in low light. </div></div>

please explain this technique. Ive always held the binos with my index fingers resting on my brow to block unwanted light and to index the eyecups to my eyes. Should i be doing it another way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 for work. If you have been taught how to hold binoculars, then 10x is not a problem.

The Diamondbacks are not expensive, durable and work well in low light. </div></div>

please explain this technique. Ive always held the binos with my index fingers resting on my brow to block unwanted light and to index the eyecups to my eyes. Should i be doing it another way? </div></div>

Sounds like you got the technique down. index fingers resting on the brow with your thumbs against your temples blocking any outside light coming in from your periphials.

First, hold the binos at the back near the eyecups. When you hold them to your face, your bent thumbs should contact your face and serve to block the light from the sides.

Your forearms should point straight down. Tuck your elbows IN as much as possible and allow your triceps to rest against your ribcage. This transfers the weight of the binos directly to your torso. Now they are braces between your face and chest.

This allows you to glass for an extended period without the tremors that come from shoulder and arm fatigue.

If I have time today I will try to get a picture.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm now reconsidering what I want. I'm not looking to spend Swarovski money but I'm definitely going to open my wallet a bit more. Thanks again for everyone's input and keep the suggestions coming!

Good day to all!

PC

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxayVPtCQo8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxayVPtCQo8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Lonewolf's explanation of the technique is right on. Video for demonstration purposes is great, too bad rending and posting is such a PITA.

Leupolds are decent. I have used two sets in the past. I have used Bruntons that were as good and significantly less expensive. I think for the purpose in which the OP is wanting glass you'd have a hard time beating the Zeiss Conquest Compact ($449.99 to $499.99 @ Cabela's). You'll spend more at Leupold to get similar quality.