• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Razor UHD opinions?

LuckyDuck

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Howdy Hide-

I've been searching through the threads and can't help but notice there isn't a whole lot of commentary on the Vortex Razor UHD Binoculars since they were released in... <checks notes>... 2019? In the order of models I was looking into specifically- there's the 8x42, the 18x56, and a toss up between the 12x50 &10x50 as my third interest. Is my searching attempts yielding poor results or is this your experience too? If you're getting the same results that I'm seeing, any reason for the lack of discussion? I'd assume this community would be the ones to argue the glass it offers until the "cows come home" hence my curiosity.

-LD

Glass is on par with a pair of Swarovski EL and you get the best warranty in the business.

On the other hand they are on the heavier side and you don't get the same branding prestige of Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. Few models also have better glass (NL Pure comes to mind).

I have the 8x42 UHDs and they're great. I haven't looked through the other top name brands but I'm honestly not sure what I'd be missing with the UHDs. I had a pair of 10x razors and the UHDs are noticeably better. I got them for hunting and they are a little heavy but having them up in the tree bow hunting has been awesome toward late evening.

I have the 18x UHD after considering NL Pure, SLC, etc. Glass was so close to the others it wasn’t worth the price difference and a better easier warranty was icing on the cake. Have full confidence in the performance for the dollar value of the UHD.

I’ve got a pair of the 10x42 UHDs. Definitely a step up from my previous Viper HDs. Compared some to my friends NL pures and I felt the UHD was a little behind, but not by much. I picked the UHDs up new in box for $1100, so I’m definitely happy with them.

Glass is on par with a pair of Swarovski EL and you get the best warranty in the business.

On the other hand they are on the heavier side and you don't get the same branding prestige of Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss. Few models also have better glass (NL Pure comes to mind).
    I appreciate the comment- I'm honestly not overly concerned with several ounces more weight since I'm not hauling them over miles like our folks on the Western end of the country might be doing but mainly am interested about how the optic performs in relation to it's price point. Still great feedback though and what I was looking for, thank you.

-LD

I have the 8x42 UHDs and they're great. I haven't looked through the other top name brands but I'm honestly not sure what I'd be missing with the UHDs. I had a pair of 10x razors and the UHDs are noticeably better. I got them for hunting and they are a little heavy but having them up in the tree bow hunting has been awesome toward late evening.
    I don't suppose I could entice you to share what other binos you have used to compare it to when you formed your opinion? That isn't meant as a slight nor a challenge- I just wanted to learn what to look for. I previously mentioned in this thread that I'm not all that concerned with weight but rather optical quality. From my own experience- most likely the finest binoculars I've had the opportunity to look through at this point is the Meopta Mostar B1 Plus 15x56 mounted on a tripod.

I'd like to get close to that level of performance if at all possible with the Vortex UHD's but since it isn't being talked about much I'm a little "gun-shy" pulling the trigger on them since the Hide folks typically go through these type of optics like underwear. As for me, when it comes to binoculars at least, aside from the Meopta's the best I can fall back on is Steiner's....Not sure if that clarifies anything but hopefully better explains what I'm looking to purchase.

-LD

Vortex makes these in Japan unlike some of the other razor binos and spotters they outsourced to China. Guys seem to really like them. Haven't had a chance to look ( run NL pures) but sure they are up there with the swaros and ziess.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
    Vortex makes these in Japan unlike some of the other razor binos and spotters they outsourced to China. Guys seem to really like them. Haven't had a chance to look ( run NL pures) but sure they are up there with the swaros and ziess.
    I appreciate the comment- don't suppose you could expand based off of your experience on where the "alpha glass" (not my own words) shines /if it does at all for that matter with objective size/magnification. My personal experience so far would suggest that how the binoculars are mounted makes a big difference as far as to how much I'm able to maximize/appreciate the higher dollar glass with relation to their size (just to expand where the question is coming from). Limiting myself to the Razor UHD offerings, to "free handle" either the 8/10x42 seems relatively manageable if not easy in either models, the 10x50's I've looked through requires a bit more work to keep steady in my neck of the woods be able to make any practical use out of that design. It's the 12x50 & 18x56 though that really gives me pause (to work up the easy, medium, hard framework) that I'm not sure I'd be able to put them to good work without the assistance of a tripod. I'm not arguing that's a fact but just suggesting that's what I'm concerned about should I ultimately decide to chase some of these models down to add to my stable. Just want to keep expectations realistic and know what I'm buying into (to put it another way).

-LD

Resolution, Clarity, Color, lack of distortion, Lack of Chromatic aberration and how the glass cuts through mirage/reads mirage is what sets them apart. You can really tell the difference in low light, being able to see things in heavy brush and timber.

The Alpha glass does all of these exceptionally well, and makes staring through binos for hours at a time not strain your eyes or give you headaches.

Anything 10x and above you need to mount them to a tripod or something. Thats why alot of hunters run 8x, so its easier to hand glass without getting a ton of bounce.

Just an a quick FYI. The gen 2 Razor spotters (13-39,22-48,27-60) have always been Japan/USA with assembly in USA.

On the Razor UHD bino: I ended up with the UHD 10x50 as my primary binocular. Couldn't be happier. The best binocular I have ever looked through (to my eyes) was the Leica Noctivid. UHD is not quite as good, but it is close enough to where I am not itching to upgrade. On top of that, I do prefer a somewhat larger objective. I spent a LOT of time with both 10x42 and 10x50 UHD and ended up keeping the 10x50. I spend a lot of time glassing out here and eye fatigue with these is absolutely minimal which makes a huge difference for me.

Traditionally, I always used 8x binos, but once I ended up in New Mexico, I switched to the 10x50. About 70% of my glassing is off of a tripod, but when I use them handheld, a little bit extra weight seems to keep the image a little more stable for me. With lighter 10x binos I get more eye fatigue. This is very individual of course. For general hiking around and looking at things I seem to gravitate to lower magnifications: old 6x32 Viper, 6.5x32 Kowa and 7x32 Steiner.

On the Razor spotters, as I mentioned elsewhere: the Gen1 spotters were made in China for a bit (first in Japan, then China). Gen2 were always US/Japan.

ILya