• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 110gr Vmax vs Coyote(then eats his own guts)

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I called this one in tonight and gut shot it with a 110gr vmax at 50-60yds. Before he died he bit his intestine and pulled it out with his teeth. When I found him he still had it in his mouth.

The pic I took with him with his guts in his mouth was with my cell phone. It was all i had on me at the time. Others are from a dig camera after dragging it up to the road.

Pics

Photo-0096.jpg

Photo-0097_zps388dccc2.jpg

9-22-20128_zps0e7439c1.jpg

9-22-201210_zpsb90f9d69.jpg

9-22-20121_zpsc14b7200.jpg

9-22-20123_zpsb38a5159.jpg

I killed the first coyote of the season yesterday and today, this. It's gonna be a good season.
laugh.gif

ETA, here's the one from yesterday. Was the last day of a prairie dog hunt out in Cimmaron National Grassland. I woke up before everyone, hiked a little ways from camp and hit this one with a 50gr Barnes varmint grenade at max.

101_1808_zpsc006e934.jpg

101_1809_zpsf85a9d87.jpg

101_1810_zpsb1bc42ac.jpg

Re: 110gr Vmax @ 3218fps vs Coyote(graphic)

I have seen yotes spin and bite the wound before but never this. I suppose their guts weren't hanging out for them to grab...

scavenging right til his last breath

I had the EXACT same thing happen with the last yote I shot. I thought it was strange, but as you mentioned, I have seen them turn and bite at the wound before.

Ive had coyotes do that when ive gut shot them. I dont think theyre eating at it. I think theyre trying to bite at the wound or anything else attatched thinking they need to free themselves from it. Good work. Keep it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">110 gr .308 diameter. 308? 300 WM, what kind of fps are you running? </div></div>

.308 110gr Vmax @ 3218fps
49.2grs of benchmark with 20" barrel and YHM suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5150Marcelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had coyotes do that when ive gut shot them. I dont think theyre eating at it. I think theyre trying to bite at the wound or anything else attatched thinking they need to free themselves from it. Good work. Keep it up. </div></div>

Oh I know, just sensationalizing
wink.gif

Same as when they spin and bite themselves, only on a larger scale. Trying to make the pain stop.

Thanks, and I will. Gonna be terror on the prairie this season.
laugh.gif

Chronographed some 200gr Nosler ballistic tips in .338 Lapua at over 3200fps today. Nosler also confirmed that this bullet would frag the most out of their .338 bullets. We'll see...

My goal is to shoot a coyote with one this week. Pics to follow.
laugh.gif

Now that's going to be quality entertainment. Wanna see some red mist action on a big dog.

I have a 300rum i'm busting a gut to try on some of the predators/nuisances here at the house. I'm gonna pop a possum or fox with 208grn amax just for the carnage!

Keep 'em coming Pal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that's going to be quality entertainment. Wanna see some red mist action on a big dog.

I have a 300rum i'm busting a gut to try on some of the predators/nuisances here at the house. I'm gonna pop a possum or fox with 208grn amax just for the carnage!

Keep 'em coming Pal! </div></div>

I shot a possum with a 210gr Barnes TSX bullet(.338 lapua) and it piked right through it. I think the problem is with most of the heavier bullets, in larger calibers, are made to penetrate at 12" or more. I'm hoping this Nosler 200gr ballistic tip will expand more rapid than the TSX bullet. We'll see.
wink.gif

Called in two today. One pulled a Houdini on me and disappeared in high soybean field. I killed the second one with a 60gr vmax at around 2700fps(Suppressed SBR AR). Could barely tell where I hit it.

Righto, off to find a box of ballistic tips! I don't want to hijack your thread...but that little 22-250 with 50 nosler ballistic tips has been rough on the foxes her at the house>>>

All quartering shots
PC300897r.jpg

IMG_7609.jpg

Even my darling got in on the action, she popped this one while I was outta the country. It kept stealing her smokes.
smile.gif

Rafflegun1stKill.jpg

Awesome pics ^^^

Well, the .338LM is going into the shop so it looks like the 200gr Nosler kill is gonna have to wait. This 110gr Vmax .308 blows them up pretty good. I wanna make one blow up like a prairie dog though.
laugh.gif

I went out and added a couple more to the count. I was using a .223 with a 40gr Vmax at around 3750fps. The first one was a large healthy dog(wish bullet didnt mess up the hide so bad). I shot a crater out of the back on the first one and I shot the guts out of the back of the 2nd. The 2nd was a younger dog and did a hell of a death dance when I shot it(as the blood puddles signify).

Photo-0130.jpg

Photo-0136.jpg

Photo-0133.jpg

Photo-0143.jpg

Here's a pic of the one that mistook his guts for spaghetti.
Photo-0096.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that's going to be quality entertainment. Wanna see some red mist action on a big dog.

Keep 'em coming Pal! </div></div>

You should see if you can shoot 110gr Vmax's. With a faster twist they might frag, but there's only one way to find out. I think the 110gr Vmax would transfer the most energy into an animal out of the .30 bullets. I think the 208gr Amax might just pike through it. Maybe not though...

Hit another with a 110gr Vmax today. Not a gut shot though. I took my newb friend out and he shot at it and missed. I turned and dropped the hammer on his neck.

10-5-125.jpg

You need a slow twist to run 110 vmaxs in 300 RUM because factory 1:10's turn them into a shotgun. I built one with a 1:15 twist just for shooting the 110 vmax and it was impressive the destruction it would cause. I could nearly rip a yote in half with the thing but that's to be expected with a 110gr at 4200fps. There wasn't much left of a groundhog either if you hit it right and it scattered the parts far enough apart the buzzards wouldn't fight over them.

Just a fair warning though, barrels go quick. I burned the throat out in less than 600 rounds. You may get more if you don't get greedy but I loaded them hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need a slow twist to run 110 vmaxs in 300 RUM because factory 1:10's turn them into a shotgun. I built one with a 1:15 twist just for shooting the 110 vmax and it was impressive the destruction it would cause. I could nearly rip a yote in half with the thing but that's to be expected with a 110gr at 4200fps. There wasn't much left of a groundhog either if you hit it right and it scattered the parts far enough apart the buzzards wouldn't fight over them.

Just a fair warning though, barrels go quick. I burned the throat out in less than 600 rounds. You may get more if you don't get greedy but I loaded them hot. </div></div>

Wow, book has max .300 RUM at 3900 max. What load were you using?

I've seen an animal bite at a wound, but never anything quite like that. I'm hoping to load the 110 vmax in 300 blk for yotes. Yours sure did the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MBC223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen an animal bite at a wound, but never anything quite like that. I'm hoping to load the 110 vmax in 300 blk for yotes. Yours sure did the job. </div></div>

I have a suppressed AAC .300blk AR with a 9" barrel and have killed a skunk with barnes 110gr tac-tx FB bullets. I was not overly impressed with the expansion but I imagine the velocity wasn't there. That might be different with the Vmax. Please post pics if you find out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wow, book has max .300 RUM at 3900 max. What load were you using? </div></div>

That's pretty slow but that's probably in a 1:10 barrel which will reduce velocity significantly. I'm not sure how they kept the bullets together since they blew up in mine.

I was running a 30" mike rock 1:15 twist throated for 110Vmax. My load was Remington brass, WLRM primer, and 105gr of retumbo. I went all the way to 106 with no pressure signs but 105gr gave me 1/2MOA.

broadcasting about gut shots.

I have a lot more respect for a coyote than a deer.

Iffy /extreme range/ gut shots etc
= a ok on coyotes or varmints
Same on a long legged disease carrying rat and you would be heckled off the forum