• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 12" barreled Shotgun with rifle stock

dontstrokeme

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2007
Port Angeles, WA
I am trying to find a way to carry a 870 12ga in a 23" bag. Looks like I could keep it in the bag with a 14" barrel if I remove the stock/pistol grip.

Not asking how to.....just how to leagaly...as far as getting an AOW and adding a rifle stock on to it? Or can my 870 be reclassified? Or who can sell me one? Is there an AOW maker that is better than the rest for custom stuff?

Trying to pack in the 23" bag with wife simplicity to reassemble.

Re: 12" barreled Shotgun with rifle stock

At $5.00 for the tax stamp of an AOW I would go Serbu Super Shorty. 12ga pistol type shotgun that can easily fit in a small backpack.

If you put a stock on what you are describing its going to be a SBS which is a $200.00 tax stamp.

Fun/survival.....I am not LEO/Military.

I think the AOW thing might be the way to go...if it's needed it won't matter the construction....any is better than none.

you will need to find one that is an AOW from the manufacture in order to get the $5.00 tax. If you make a new AOW yourself the tax will be $200.00 for the form one, in that case you might as well go for the SBS. Unless you have a 07 FFL and SOT or have a friend with one. Mossberg makes a 14" breacher with a pistol grip that is a AOW.

Folding stock of your preference (side or top folder) and set it up with an 18" barrel. Remove the barrel nut and pull the barrel when you're looking to pack it away; install the barrel when you're looking to use.

No paperwork required, and it'll still fit in a 23" bag with room to spare.

If bachelor jack on here hasn't sold his, buy that one. It was beautiful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fun/survival.....I am not LEO/Military.

I think the AOW thing might be the way to go...if it's needed it won't matter the construction....any is better than none. </div></div>

If it's for any serious purposes a 18" barrel and fixed stock will be your best bet.

The more compact you go with a shotgun the more compromises you have to make. For instance a Serbu is cool as hell, but a good combat auto pistol is much more effective.

I used to carry a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel and pistol grip only when on patrol. It was very handy when clearing a building, but not easy to shoot accurately at any range. I figured out pretty quickly that a buttstock, even a short stock, would be much better.
You can remove/install the barrel very quickly.

Jim

Yeah I might play with that and see how I can get it easily assembled. Looking to put it pernanantly in this:

http://specopstech.com/newwebsite/comerc...08f53be88a53fb8

In the Gray color, leave it in my rig that is gray interior and have it not be easily noticed. And if worst comes to worst I loose out on a $180-$250 Rem 870....not my good pistol. In my AO the normal firearm is used for dispatching wounded animals, getting an unexpected game animal, birds, pests ie Racoons. And leaving a capable firearm in the rig that is in the Go-bag seems better than a Henery Survival 22LR. 18" barrel with slugs has impressed me more than once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to find a way to carry a 870 12ga in a 23" bag. Looks like I could keep it in the bag with a 14" barrel if I remove the stock/pistol grip.

Not asking how to.....just how to leagaly...as far as getting an AOW and adding a rifle stock on to it? Or can my 870 be reclassified? Or who can sell me one? Is there an AOW maker that is better than the rest for custom stuff?

Trying to pack in the 23" bag with wife simplicity to reassemble. </div></div>

No way in WA state,any time you add a stock,it becomes a SBR or short bbl shotgun.The factory Remmy Breecher is pretty nice,3+1 with a 10" bbl.I fired one a month or so ago with low recoil LE buckshot loads.Pretty manageable,the owner said it was even better with the Knox Pistol grip.

Fill out a form 1 for a sbs and pay 200 tax, you can than make it in aow or sbs configuration legally. If you ever change your mind then you can add a stock without paying $200 more if bought as a $5 aow.

$200 shotty
$200 tax
$15 hacksaw =)

He lives in WA state where SBS is a no go (aow is ok though). Only two options are AOW (aows only can have a pistol grip, stocks not allowed) or an 18" shotgun with a folding stock.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He lives in WA state where SBS is a no go (aow is ok though). Only two options are AOW (aows only can have a pistol grip, stocks not allowed) or an 18" shotgun with a folding stock.

CJG </div></div>

So with the 18" barrel and folding stock does it have to be over a certian overall length, or no because it is an AOW?

A shotgun like an AOW without a stock is a lot harder to fire accurately at moderate distance. Your much better off paying the $200 tax stamp for a rig you can put a folding stock on.

I did a form 1 on mine after firing SBS with and without a stock. The stock makes a HUGE difference. I also added screw-in Winchoke tubes,tritium front sight and back bored the barrel.

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He lives in WA state where SBS is a no go (aow is ok though). Only two options are AOW (aows only can have a pistol grip, stocks not allowed) or an 18" shotgun with a folding stock.

CJG </div></div>

So with the 18" barrel and folding stock does it have to be over a certian overall length, or no because it is an AOW?

</div></div>

Refer to Gun Control Act of 1968. Title 18, USC, Chapter 44, Title I, Section 921 -- Definitions

(6) The term "short-barreled shotgun"
means a shotgun having one or
more barrels less than eighteen inches
in length and any weapon made from a
shotgun (whether by alteration, modification,
or otherwise) if such weapon as
modified has an overall length of less
than twenty-six inches.

Aforementioned Title 18 USC

sounds like fun

Am I the only one that thinks shooting a pistol grip AOW shotgun ranks right up there with sucking? Don't get me wrong, I love short barrelled shotguns but for me at least, they have to have a stock on them. Pistol grips just plain hurt with any type of load other than light target loads and I can't hit crap with them. Maybe it's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tennessean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one that thinks shooting a pistol grip AOW shotgun ranks right up there with sucking? Don't get me wrong, I love short barrelled shotguns but for me at least, they have to have a stock on them. Pistol grips just plain hurt with any type of load other than light target loads and I can't hit crap with them. Maybe it's just me. </div></div>

Not just you....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tennessean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one that thinks shooting a pistol grip AOW shotgun ranks right up there with sucking? Don't get me wrong, I love short barrelled shotguns but for me at least, they have to have a stock on them. Pistol grips just plain hurt with any type of load other than light target loads and I can't hit crap with them. Maybe it's just me. </div></div>

As we say where I come from, yeah, buddy.

Apart from premature wrist arthritis (hot buck and slug loads give African stopping rifle levels of recoil) the training requirement goes through the roof (as may some of your shots).

Uncoupling the butt from your shoulder (or at least armpit) destroys pointing sense and is the one thing you can do with a shotgun to REDUCE its value as a defensive weapon. Makes it possible to miss across a normal living room.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tennessean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one that thinks shooting a pistol grip AOW shotgun ranks right up there with sucking? Don't get me wrong, I love short barrelled shotguns but for me at least, they have to have a stock on them. Pistol grips just plain hurt with any type of load other than light target loads and I can't hit crap with them. Maybe it's just me. </div></div>

As we say where I come from, yeah, buddy.

Apart from premature wrist arthritis (hot buck and slug loads give African stopping rifle levels of recoil) the training requirement goes through the roof (as may some of your shots).

Uncoupling the butt from your shoulder (or at least armpit) destroys pointing sense and is the one thing you can do with a shotgun to REDUCE its value as a defensive weapon. Makes it possible to miss across a normal living room. </div></div>

Very true.
I let some of my non-shooting friends try the shorty shotgun and my sub-gun and they are amazed that they cant hit a damn thing they are firing at. They are fun to watch and have a blast but once they actually fire some weapons they come to the reality that its not like on TV or the movies.
Doh!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A shotgun like an AOW without a stock is a lot harder to fire accurately at moderate distance. Your much better off paying the $200 tax stamp for a rig you can put a folding stock on.

I did a form 1 on mine after firing SBS with and without a stock. The stock makes a HUGE difference. I also added screw-in Winchoke tubes,tritium front sight and back bored the barrel.

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

</div></div>

That's about exactly what I want....except for coated medium dark gray......how do I go about paying this $200....is it best to go to a Class 3 / SOT dealer? Or have one built from a local smith(if that is possible)?

No idea what backboring is...who did the smithing on yours? PM or publicly display the contact info for the smith/dealer.

Thanks alot!

Combat Pistol is more affective than AOW short-shotty build but another option for the short-shotty & LE . A few years back I did-up a Scabbard for attached and behind the back of weight bearing vest for a friend working county sheriff & swat role. His main use intention was to use shorty only for option of Non-lethal Bean-bag . I think it was a lot more controllable with pistol grip with the reduced loads on the Bean-bags too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A shotgun like an AOW without a stock is a lot harder to fire accurately at moderate distance. Your much better off paying the $200 tax stamp for a rig you can put a folding stock on.

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

</div></div>

That's about exactly what I want....except for coated medium dark gray......how do I go about paying this $200....is it best to go to a Class 3 / SOT dealer? Or have one built from a local smith(if that is possible)?

No idea what backboring is...who did the smithing on yours? PM or publicly display the contact info for the smith/dealer.

Thanks alot! </div></div>

If your handy with tools (or a hack saw) do an BATFE form 1 to make & register a firearm. This is the same form used if you want to build a silencer,short barreled rifle or shotgun.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

You then go through the process of getting the chief of police signature on your paper work,finger prints rolled and mailing the fed's $200 and waiting for approval. AFTER you get approved you can build your weapon. For a shotgun I think its easy to DIY with an off the shelf donor weapon. I had a few Winchester defenders so one was drafted for my project.

I did all the work myself (Toolmaker). Shorten barrel,reattach ring/mount,winchoke and tritium front sight. The backboring might be overkill but my friend already had a reamer and I borrowed it. Backboring is suppose to reduce recoil,improve shot pattern and the empty hulls come out poker straight where they are crimped. Not sure if its all BS but I did it anyway. Finish is Moly Resin (John Norell) and he has many colors and its great stuff. I never priced a shotgun from any dealers so I really have no idea on current costs. I know through a dealer you can do the AOW for I believe a $5 transfer but you can not attach a stock to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A shotgun like an AOW without a stock is a lot harder to fire accurately at moderate distance. Your much better off paying the $200 tax stamp for a rig you can put a folding stock on.

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

</div></div>

Thanks alot! </div></div>

Thats an SBS, we cant have those in WA state. Only AOW, Silencers, DD's. No SBS or SBR. This state does suck sometimes, sorry Joe.

CJG

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE STAMPED, SIGNED FORM 1 IN HAND BEFORE CUTTING THE BARREL, OR PURCHASING A SHORT BARREL!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's about exactly what I want....except for coated medium dark gray......how do I go about paying this $200....is it best to go to a Class 3 / SOT dealer? Or have one built from a local smith(if that is possible)? </div></div>

As mentioned, you can't have that.

Here are your options summed up:
AOW - Pistol gripped shotty w/ 7-12" barrel
Plain 18" shotgun with folding stock added

Those are pretty much it! The simple choice is the 18" shotty with either a side or over the top folder added, no stamps, no waiting, MUCH easier to shoot, etc.

The other thing, if this is a SHTF scenario, maybe you'll have to use it to hunt game to provide your family with some food. You'll have a much MUCH much better chance of shooting a duck or a deer with an 18" barrel and a stock behind it then you would a Serbu style. I'd love to see some video of Tuscondave shooting trap & skeet with his.
smile.gif

The Mossberg 500 I used as a cop had a pistol grip and an 18" barrel. It was good for clearing rooms, but not so good outdorrs at any distance.
Mine came with a buttstock and a longer barrel for upland bird shooting. Changing them took about 5 minutes.

This might be a good solution for you. You can use the buttstock and short barrel, or any combination.

Jim