• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

12" POF

heitmann45

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
CA
I've heard from a few sources that the 12" POF .308 is capable of shooting MOA out to 700 yards. Anyone played with a 12" yet that can attest to this claim?

Re: 12" POF

I don't know about MOA out to 700. That seems like it would be a stretch for a SBR. I own a 16.5" and have been told that 800 is about as far as you can accurately reach. I haven't tested this yet as I'm still awaiting an optic but 700 yards (MOA) out of a 12" rifle seems unrealistic to me. I would think 500 yards might be more reasonable. I'm sure one of the POF reps will get on here and give you the facts as opposed to my opinions.

Probably a lot would depend on what kind of muzzle velocity you could achieve with the 12" barrel. If you were getting ~2400 fps with a 150 gr or 2300 with a 175 gr, you're looking at going subsonic at or before 700 yd. For some more info on what a 16" .308 barrel can do, look at the last page of this thread, it may be of interest to you:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1597047&page=13

It is possible to get outstanding accuracy from short-barreled rifles, but because of the enormous sacrifice in MV, you lose maximum effective range quicker.

Here are some numbers for thought:

FGMM 168gr SMK out of the 12" P-308 average 2313fps according to POF

178gr A-Max out of the 12" P-308 average 2311fps according to POF

I would estimate (I haven't done this with a 12" barrel so don't quote me on this) that you could get a round like the 155gr Scenars or 155gr Palma SMK bullets to around 2400fps or perhaps even a little more.

Using that data provided by POF (and my 2400fps guesstimate), you get the following figures (MOA adjustment based from a 100yd zero):

168gr FGMM - subsonic at 796yds and 38MOA got get to that range

178gr A-Max - subsonic at 942yds and almost 47MOA to get to that range

155gr Palma SMK - subsonic at 850yds and 39MOA to get to that range

155gr Scenar - subsonic at (an amazing) 1020yds and roughly 49MOA to get to that range (this is one of MANY reasons I am really starting to run the Scenars more and more)!

Based on those numbers, getting to 700yds is more than possible, but with everything involved with long-range shooting, your mileage may vary.

I'm not going to make any guesses about accuracy at that range, but I will say that my 20" P-308 is sub-MOA accurate including out to extended ranges. The 16" I have fired was MOA out to 600yds. The POTENTIAL for accuracy with the 12" P-308 is there, but I'll defer to anyone who has actually stretched one out that far and their actual experiences in terms of accuracy.

We've seen moa or better out to 600 with the 12" 308's, making them a great choice for LE units.

If anyone's interested in buying a lot of ten Amalite AR10's that a local PD traded in towards 308's shoot me a PM for info.

That's pretty impressive for a shorty to say the least. Thanks for taking the time to put together and post those figures. After reading your post, I took a gander at POF-308s on their website. Seems like the 14.5" might be a nice compromise between a 16", and the 12", which would require a stamp. December's not all that far away...are you listening Santa?

I've been wanting to try the 155 Scenars at 800 yds. with my 12" REPR but have been waiting on the 20 MOA SPUHR mount to arrive from Victor. Might just have to try it at 1K and see what it will do.

Does anyone have any load suggestions?