• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1200 grain 50 bullet

Jimmym40a2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
Colorado
Years ago my friend had the Idea for a long range rig and decided he needed something with a really high BC. He was in the 50 game and thought those wimpy 750 grainers were not enough.So he had some custom bullets made and had a barrel with a fast twist made.He made the bullet a single shot so the bullet went into the barrel and only the driving bands went into the rifling. He never got it finished but he gave me one of the bullets.After seeing Laters "Diplomat" build it reminded me of this and finally I came across the bullet I had somewhere in my reloading stuff. Here are a few pictures.
1200grainbullet001.jpg

1200grainbullet002.jpg

1200grainbullet003.jpg

Re: 1200 grain 50 bullet

Jimmy,

Now thats a "historical" piece lol. You have any of the testing data from that monster by chance?? (Oops..noticed said never finished)

I field most of my 50cal questions to Scott Nye and we have talked about some heavyweight 50cal projectiles that he and Ken Johnson messed around with and the results, pros, and cons. Nice to see others had same thought process and took step to "go out of the norm".

The Canadians are having great success with a larger than "normal" 50cal projectile right now. IIRC it comes in at 900gr weight.

Thanks for the pic

Unfortunately he didn't finish the build.He was doing allot of competitions and his gun was unorthodox and they kept saying it was a rail gun,etc, because it looked different and he walked away from the sport. To bad -he was an innovator.He also had some other projectiles made like this one.
1200grainbullet004.jpg

1200grainbullet005.jpg

The only thing that goes in the rifling is the "driving bands". the bullet it's self sits on top of the rifling.

The BC from what they have been shoot so far is just over or around .9. The cost is right around 1.5 each. I will be shooting some of the 50 he sent me to test bc and performance. The first ones i shoot held .25moa at 100 and .5moa at 1000. He does a few unique things that the other bullet manufactures's dont.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to see that 1200 grain fly... </div></div>

Shit! you may have to strap on a couple solid rocket boosters to get that sucker moving with enough terminal velocity.
grin.gif
Sorry I couldn't help it.

What kind of performance and loads are used with that 1200?