• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

125 grn. Speer TNT's / .308

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    I have a several hundred in the reload room & have been using them in the .30-221/BLK Boltgun for a while with good success . The Vel. is pretty low though with 2280 fps . but hey work deadly on the coyotes . Would not mind trying them out for some Coyote out the .308 .

Never loaded then in .308 before . Not looking for world speed record but a decent Load . Just though I would bust a few dogs & see how it goes with using them .
    Also the TNT's are Varmint jacket & I think it is thinner . So not sure if I can spin them on the RPM's like a thicker target 155 vld with a real fast Vel. ?

What I have for barrel to work with is :
    24" / SS 5R / 11.24 twist
    Palma Ream cut, short-throat for the 155 VLD's .
    Brass is new Win. or Lapua . & powder is Re-15

Any Load Suggestions are appreciated .
    .....thanks

For my 125gr ballistic tip I use 44.2gr of RE15 and light it with a CCI 200. Get 2950fps and dime sized 5 round clusters at 100 through a 26" 1/12 ROT factory R700 barrel

Reactions: Raffica762
    I found the Speer 125 TNTs to be fairly insensitive to seating depth and powder. I'd shot it out of a NM M1A Krieger 1:11 and Krieger barrelled Palma gun with 1:13 twist. I used IMR 3031 since I had some around and a little faster powder for the lighter bullet is more appropriate. Anyways, went from 34 to 42 grn and it shot very well at least at 100yds with significant no drop off in accuracy. I didn't bother with jump, I just loaded them for maximum mag length for the rapid fire strings. Scoped/benchrest accuracy? Probably not, but with iron sights and 200 yd offhand and rapid fire sitting, they were more than adequate to clean the target with little recoil. I believe the lower end that I tried was close to a 7.62x39 in bullet weight and velocity.

( insight3b ) ...thanks for info . I am really interested in giving them a tryout for .308 & coyotes .
    jeffinTX ..
    Ya I find that on the lower end of Vel. on the BLK Boltaction they are pretty good & sub-MOA @ only 2100 to 2280 Vel. & like you said also, ..."pretty insensitive to seating depth " . They seem to not be bothered with a big jump or where you seat .
    Also, I have used IMR 3031 on the short 16" barrel /.308 & 175's / for a more complete efficient Burn in a short tube . 3031 burns great . I was a little concerned about really spinning them hard on the RPM's & them with thinner Varm. jackets . but sounds like all is GTG with them .

I really LOVE the 110 grn. Sierra Varmitors bullets with that bigger HP hole . I have killed a bunch with the 110 Varm's. the impact noise & hit on coyotes is just brutal even slow Vel. of 2400 FPS out the BLK.. but past a couple hundred yards the energy falls off FAST .
    The125 TNT's kill great, but you can hear that the 110 sierra Varm's just Hit louder on the impact . I don't think i am getting as good of an expansion on impact with the TNT's but they seem to work . Also running the numbers with the 125's , they look to outperform way better on the way they carry down-field velocity & with less drop than the 110's even on the slower Vel's. . & with speeding them up on Vel. out the .308 . They should get great expansion on impact & carry better energy .

I have had great luck with the 110s. They are super accurate and like to go fast. I use them for an easy day of shooting and at 100 yards the group size is most often indistinguishable from the heavier match bullets. Lots of fun and easy on the shoulder and wallet.

Also like dinking around with the 135 SMKs.

I never could get the 110 V-max to work. I gave the 125 TNT's a try and they shoot great considering my rifle is far from ideal for this bullet. I've used 48.2gr. IMR 8208 XBR. This was out of my 30 inch, 12 twist, barrel chambered with a 2011 Fullbore reamer. The accuracy was remarkable, very consistent out to 300 yds. I haven't shot them farther than that. I'm guessing my MV is around 3200 fps. I'd love to see a hit on fur.

B

I'm looking forward to trying the new 125gr accubond from nosler. Loading up a batch for my buddies son. I can load the light bullets full power and they still feel like reduced recoil. The accubond should be ideal for white tails through my friends sons model 7

Are the 125gr accubonds much different to the hunting bt (not the varmints)

I used to run the 125gr hunting bt @ 3150with 50.5gr win 748. Easy half inch 5 shots and would knock foxes and dogs flat.

Are the 125gr accubonds much different to the hunting bt (not the varmints)

I used to run the 125gr hunting bt @ 3150with 50.5gr win 748. Easy half inch 5 shots and would knock foxes and dogs flat.
    They appear to be exactly the same in profile

I have a several hundred in the reload room & have been using them in the .30-221/BLK Boltgun for a while with good success . The Vel. is pretty low though with 2280 fps . but hey work deadly on the coyotes . Would not mind trying them out for some Coyote out the .308 .

Never loaded then in .308 before . Not looking for world speed record but a decent Load . Just though I would bust a few dogs & see how it goes with using them .
    Also the TNT's are Varmint jacket & I think it is thinner . So not sure if I can spin them on the RPM's like a thicker target 155 vld with a real fast Vel. ?

What I have for barrel to work with is :
    24" / SS 5R / 11.24 twist
    Palma Ream cut, short-throat for the 155 VLD's .
    Brass is new Win. or Lapua . & powder is Re-15

Any Load Suggestions are appreciated .
    .....thanks

I load these with 47.5 gr. H-335 for my 16", 11.25 twist AR-10. LC cases, WLR primers, 2924 fps. Shoot under 1 MOA. AccurateShooter.com has this same load listed in their .308 section.

I load these with 47.5 gr. H-335 for my 16", 11.25 twist AR-10. LC cases, WLR primers, 2924 fps. Shoot under 1 MOA. AccurateShooter.com has this same load listed in their .308 section.

using H-335, Never even crossed my mind with the 125's .
    I am wanting to keep the barrel short also with the Can on muzzle & 16" is the shizzle . You getting 2900+ sounds pretty good with the 16" Short-barrel & light weight varmints . After hunting & running Boltgun w/ 16" barrel with folding chassis, I don't think I can ever go back .

My 12-year old got his first rifle this year or a .308 and I am loading 125 NBT/NAB with 50=grains f Varget. I have not chronied them, but they shoot well. Tjhis was when I broke in the gun with a God awful trigger.
    SavageSierra308125NBT_zps9ee7d088.jpg

I use the 110gr. Speer varmint bullets for my JP LRP07 3 gun rifle. I have been loading 48gr. of 748 for an accurate soft shooting round that allows fast follow up shots on long range steel.