• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters 12x binos?

Pocket

Monkey with a gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2019
Baton Rouge, La
dropping my Bushnell Forge 15x56 binos, only shooting .22lr matches (PRS/NRL22) currently. As a MD and often even when traveling i get tasked with being the RO...yay option2 lol.

that being said i find the 15x to be to much magnification at most of these matches with only 1-2 stages even reaching out 250+ so i am panning like a mad man trying to keep up with the stage movement for the shooters. i think a lower power to see more of the field is going to be the way to go.

12x i think is where ive landed at, as i would prefer a tad more than 10x but i guess that could be an option too. What should i look at? with Vortex i do get the 40% MSRP with mil/le but maybe pick up a 30% MAP cert on here? i would like to be around $600-800 range or below.

what would you suggest?
new/used?

also binos don't need to have RF capability*
I am a Marine so durability is a must, especially if they are crayon colors(yum)

Personally I would pick quality over magnification.

I think a better optical quality 10x will perform better than a lesser quality 12x, IMO.
And that’s a fair statement, which is why I raised my initial budget up some.
I live 20 min either way between a bass pro & Cabelas. So I can do side by sides with a few brands tho I know they won’t have the top tier of much.

Id look at a set of Leupold's, last summer, I shot a .22 hunter match and I used my 12x50s leupolds. Worked awesome, but I did find it to be a little too much magnification for the 100m and in targets. After the match, I figured I should of used my 10x42 Leupold binos, they also fit in my chest rig a little better than my 12x50.

Reactions: Gustav7
I’d look for a used Leica trinovid ba/bn in a 10x50 or a 12x50, great glass and hell for tough. I’d take them over most any modern glass short of the big 3.

Zeiss,Swaro, and Leica, pick your poison, Nikon was once a player, their older venturer lx line and superior e’s were tier one glass and their wx may be the best ever developed for a hand held, but they have nothing new as alpha’s go.

Reactions: KiloGolf
Personally I would pick quality over magnification.

I think a better optical quality 10x will perform better than a lesser quality 12x, IMO.

My thoughts as well. I run a pair of Steiner M1050r.

Good alpha glass doesn't need high magnification.

Reactions: kthomas
I own a Vortex Viper HD 12x50. The clarity of the Vipers is impressive, with a nice field of view and good edge-to-edge clarity. While the UHD 12x50 model is slightly better, the difference isn't significant.

Appreciate the input everyone. I’ll be going with a 10x50 Bino/RF and a separate spotting scope on my tac table to have a full on command center. Blowing out my budget but if this is the last time I need to upgrade before a company starts giving me gear (lol) I’ll be ok with that!

Appreciate the input everyone. I’ll be going with a 10x50 Bino/RF and a separate spotting scope on my tac table to have a full on command center. Blowing out my budget but if this is the last time I need to upgrade before a company starts giving me gear (lol) I’ll be ok with that!
Give a call, our pleasure to work with you on this.
Doug
516-217-1000

Not to offend the OP but the 15X is mostly a training issue. I use 15X sworo even in the dense woodland. It helps me break out detail from brush etc. I suggest you simply get more time behind the 15X glass.

@RTH1800 You aren’t offending me at all. I have 1/2 of GWOT behind glass. And I get what you are saying but you either didn’t read or didn’t understand the original post. It’s not a can’t see/use the binos. But I am ONLy using them in the .22lr game so those far shots at our matches out to 3-350 they are great as it’s a single target. But with the way our range is set up on matches there are 2 to 3 squads within 40’ of each other and all the targets are on a flat range so just hearing the ding to call impact ain’t gonna cut it. And with the targets being spread out at 40-150 yards being the closer engagements the panning back and forth, while being a RO on top of being the MD and a shooter it’s too many hats and that’s on me. But panning with 15x is a pain in the ass and I was getting opinions on 12x or possibly 10s to see more of the “big picture”

It’s not scanning for movement on a hunt, I’m trying to track 10 shots on 10 targets in 90s on 1” targets across a 100yd wide tract of land

Reactions: RTH1800
OK, got it.
I have found some great deals on top end used glass over the years. Leica, Zeiss, Swaor etc. I find them at gun shows, eBay, small lesser known sites, store closings etc. Patience is the key if you have time.
With your experience you well know the advantages of top end glass. It shows up more in low light or after extended use.

OK, got it.
I have found some great deals on top end used glass over the years. Leica, Zeiss, Swaor etc. I find them at gun shows, eBay, small lesser known sites, store closings etc. Patience is the key if you have time.
With your experience you well know the advantages of top end glass. It shows up more in low light or after extended use.
And these old guys want to shoot at day break :/

Reactions: RTH1800
I will add that most "used glass" is really seldom or little used. It's often about new. Not a lot of folks are out several days a week peeping at critters year round.

Reactions: kthomas