• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 1300 budget for optic

runningbear

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I plan on shooting production class at my local range and the total budget allowed is 2500 dollars. I just picked up a Bergara B14 HMR, so that leaves me with about 1300 to play with. The caliber is 6.5 Creedmoor, 22 inch barrel, 1/8 twist, and the maximum range is 600 yards. I plan on shooting 130gr Prime, or another 140- 14? gr factory loading. I have narrowed it down to Leupold Mark 4, or. Nightforce SHV with a 14x-16x max magnification, but I am open to suggestions. Im a bit spoiled with my Kahles 624i Gen3, but hey, rules are rules. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Is the 14-16x a limitation of the production class or personal preference? For that money, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than a Burris XTR II unless you can buy used and get away with it. Very good glass can be had for $1300 used.

NF SHV, Burris XTR-II, Vortex PST Gen 2, Athlon Ares, Bushnell LHRS.

I wouldn't look at a Mk4, non matching reticle/turrets, SFP, less travel, etc.

Go with one of the former scopes and you will not go wrong from a product and company standpoint.

Is the 14-16x a limitation of the production class or personal preference? For that money, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than a Burris XTR II unless you can buy used and get away with it. Very good glass can be had for $1300 used.
Personal. I figured I can get better glass if I sacrifice some magnification

I've recently purchased the SHV F1 and it currently is on my .22. For me the jury is still out. I'm one that likes a thicker reticle but this reticle gets pretty thick. With most scopes getting 10 mils per turn of the turret, this one only has 5. But the glass is very clear and the zero stop is the easiest to set I've ever used. I'm not in love with the capped windage turret but it's the same as my Atacr so...
Ive ordered a Gen ii PST and one will go on a .260 and the other on my .22. We'll see when that gets here. Not many scopes focus down to 25 yards but the shv and pst both do so I can use either on my .22.
If you're going for glass quality the you will like the shv and they are available where the pst is probably months away yet.

Bushnell LRTS or LRHS would be my suggestion. Excellent performing optics in this price range. The SHV 4-14 F1 is great optic, however. The Bushy's provide a few more features for your money though. Wider FOV, some more magnification, and 10 mil turrets.

The SHV and XTRII are some great options to look at. The SHV offers better glass. The XTRII offers some dang decent glass and plenty of features including lots of adjustment. If you are looking for a Horus reticle the XTR also offers that in your budget.

If your only shooting 600 yards, I'ver got a Sig Sauer Tango 4 3-12x42 FFP (In the PX optics)that will do the trick just fine. Check it out! That will leave you some money for accessories.

Vortex PST G2, Vortex Razor G1, Athlon Ares, NF SHV, Burris XTRII, Bushnell LHRS

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I just picked up the Bushnell 3.5-21 ERS with G2 reticle for $1199 at Midway.

Seen a bunch of the older gen scopes on clearance the last couple weeks to make way for the new models. If you search around for a couple weeks, I am sure you can find a decent deal on a scope for that price.

I also bought my Razor Gen 1 used last year for $1250. Hard to beat that scope in that price range.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Unless you're placing in the top 10 consistently in the production class, there is no real reason to go in that direction. Just run your Kahles 624i (I love that scope) in open class and shoot your match. Use the money saved toward shooting more matches in fees & ammo.

The scores you would have between open and production based on scope choice are going to be identical or close to it. Don't waste $ and time with a lower end scope just to be in a class for local matches a few times a year. Use the good glass you already have (getting more value out of it) and have fun at the matches!!!

Unless you're pulling $$$ off the prize table regularly, for the average shooter, squeezing into production when you have quality gun/glass is ridiculous if only to place higher in a division.

Athlon Ares, have sold quite a few in pre-orders. they have been very popular

this is the Athlon Ares vs Vortex pst gen 2

Attachments

• photo50476.jpg
    photo50476.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 20
Our two XTRIIs have been outstanding. For the price point, we have no regrets. Better glass will probably get you 10-15 minutes more usage at dawn/dusk, but that's about it. Tracking and repeatability have been spot on.

Vote for the XTRii.

I paid 950 from DVOR for mine and you just can't beat it for the money.

I've compared the SHV to the Burris on a couple occasions. I can honestly say that particular NF doesn't impress me. Yes, I'm a Burris guy, but even if I wasn't, I like the XTR II better. If I had both in hand for the same money, I would take the Burris.

I would recommend the Athlon Ares, great quality for under $900 and still leaves you with plenty of money for a decent mount, bubble level, bi pod, etc..

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I know this has probably been discussed before in a number of threads, but since we're here...I currently have a Vortex PST Gen1 4-16x; how does the 4-20x XTRII compare optically for those who have been behind both?

I also like the looks and feature set of the LRTSi 4.5-18x, but other than EuroOptic these seem to be unobtanium.

There are a lot of great options out there I'm sure we can find you something. I know Richard already said Nightforce and Burris.

I was also thinking of:
Leupold
Bushnell
and for a little more the Steiner T5xi

All the above scope we can get and more Call 916.670.1103 or email us [email protected]

Lots of useful information for me in this post! I've looked through a Burris XTR recently and was very impressed. I've wanted to look info the SHVS for my current 6.5x284 build though. Is it even a contest? I've always wanted to own a Nightforce, but I hate paying for a name.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk