• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

130gr RDF Data?

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    Has anyone seen any data on the new 130gr/6.5mm RDF bullet?

Very cool, they have to run quite a few through to get the equipment running right so if your seeing blems they are will be in stores soon!

Have any dimensions or BCs been released on these new RDFs?

No info when I last checked. I expect we'll hear something at SHOT in a couple of weeks. I thought it was odd Nosler would release the blems before releasing the normal RDFs

Not if it's going in their loaded ammo (or subcontracted to an ammo manufacturer). Just thinking out loud here...

In fact (now that I think about it), I wonder if it is a Norma 130gr clone. Since Norma makes a lot of Nosler brass, it wouldn't surprise me there was a quid pro quo partnership here (Nosler makes the bullets for Norma, Norma makes brass for Nosler). It'd be interesting if someone could compare the Norma 130 in the Prime ammo (or reloading component) with the Nosler RDF 130...

I just ordered a couple hundred but this

“The only information I was able to obtain from nosler is their ballistic coefficient - G1: 0.615 and G7 0.307.”
    -Haleena

If accurate, those are respectable numbers.

Yea I can’t garuntee their validity due to prior incidents with nosler and bcs but these seem like they will perform better than the 140gr for me if I can get them up to about 2900fps

Reactions: Strike_out
    I been waiting on Nosler to add new weights to the RDF line. Gonna have to pick some of these 130’s up to test.

In fact (now that I think about it), I wonder if it is a Norma 130gr clone. Since Norma makes a lot of Nosler brass, it wouldn't surprise me there was a quid pro quo partnership here (Nosler makes the bullets for Norma, Norma makes brass for Nosler). It'd be interesting if someone could compare the Norma 130 in the Prime ammo (or reloading component) with the Nosler RDF 130...

I have bought and loaded a couple thousand 130 Norma Golden Target bullets and they come from Sweden.

Mine shipped and will be here this week. At 0.615 G1 and $33.00/100 If these shoot like the 130 ELD M they will be a really nice option costing less than the ELD and a significant BC jump vs the 130 ELD 0.554 G1

I'm excited and look forward to testing them in my 22" Bartlein 6.5cm semi

Mine shipped and will be here this week. At 0.615 G1 and $33.00/100 If these shoot like the 130 ELD M they will be a really nice option costing less than the ELD and a significant BC jump vs the 130 ELD 0.554 G1

I'm excited and look forward to testing them in my 22" Bartlein 6.5cm semi

I had terrible luck with the 70 RDF in multiple AR testing. Never tried the 140's with ELD-M's shooting so well. We will see....

Reactions: B.Bates
    Yeah, I haven't gotten the 70's to shoot for crap either; but then again, I didn't spend a whole lot of time with them.

I've had excellent results with the 140 140s out of my 6-5 Creedmoor and the 70 grainers out of my 223.

I’ve had excellent results with the 140’s and two different barrels, they have been my go to load now for about a year. I’m excited to see these 130 hitting the market. I think they are going to work good for gas guns and shorter barreled bolt guns. I ordered two boxes yesterday to test.

I have been buying the 140 RDF's for $25 per 100 or less. These may be worth a try if they are that cheap in stores. I ran this through my ballistic calculator and if they can be fired at 2,900 FPS it seems they will have a performance advantage over the 140's fired at 2,770. 2,770 is my current load in 6.5x47.

Got my 130 RDF blems today. Took some measurements to compare them to 130 ELD-M

Base to Ogive
    130 ELD-M - 0.698"
    130 RDF - 0.688"

Overall Length
    130 ELD-M - 1.310"
    130 RDF - 1.337"

Got my 130 RDF blems today. Took some measurements to compare them to 130 ELD-M

Base to Ogive
    130 ELD-M - 0.698"
    130 RDF - 0.688"

Overall Length
    130 ELD-M - 1.310"
    130 RDF - 1.337"

curious to hear your thoughts after you shoot them...really like to see you shoot a few through the 47.

Just loaded up 130 RDF's for OCW tests with both Varget and H4350. Going to test them today out of Patriot Valley Arms new 26" Rock Creek Savage prefit 6.5x47L barrel Im currently reviewing. Barrel has 120rds down it now. Will post up results later today.

One thing I noticed with this bullets is COAL to the lands on this barrel is 2.7925". I loaded my OCW tests to 2.7825" COAL (0.01" Off lands). That only puts half the bearing surface in the neck...Will post a picture of this later after I get back from the range.

Don't forget, a lot people have had a lot better success with the RDF's with a considerable jump (like a 0.05" jump).

Reactions: redleg1013
    Sorry Padom, I didn't mean that to come across as implying you don't know what you're doing, you're load testing reputation is well known as being very thorough and inclusive. I meant more to just remind people that a 0.01" seating depth, while optimum for the ELM-'s in most cases, has generally not been the sweet spot for the RDF's

Alright so here's the OCW tests with H4350 and Varget. I will do a seating depth test but I cant see these being worth it not because of accuracy but because of velocity. My current 6.5x47L load shoots SD 4 2826 with 140 ELD-M and 140 Hybrids in the .1's and .2's...I would need these going about 2950 and nice little holes to make them worth switching. I mean my 130 ELD-M's hammer way better but I will withhold judgement till I do a seating depth test. If that doesnt pan out Im done testing them. Everything shoots in my 6.5x47L so putting in anymore work than that isnt worth it in my eyes.

FN4HT3K.jpg

A5qCDv6.jpg

I’m surprised by the low velocity, I would have thought high 2800’s low 2900’s would have been fairly easy to achieve. Wonder how 8208 would do, they may be a bit heavy for it though.

Could you do a ladder test and see how far you are from pressure? Maybe you still have a bit to go?

Yea no. Pressure is noted with "sticky " on the last 2 charges of both powders. Heavy sticky bolt and ejector marks on brass...

I’m surprised you ran into pressure signs at 37.4 grains of varget. I run 37.3 grains of varget and the 140’s our of my 6.5x47 with no pressure signs at all. If I remember right I went up to 37.8 before I had a slight bit of sticky bolt. Thanks for testing these and posting your results, look forward to seeing how the accuracy does on your testing depth test

Alright so here's the OCW tests with H4350 and Varget. I will do a seating depth test but I cant see these being worth it not because of accuracy but because of velocity. My current 6.5x47L load shoots SD 4 2826 with 140 ELD-M and 140 Hybrids in the .1's and .2's...I would need these going about 2950 and nice little holes to make them worth switching. I mean my 130 ELD-M's hammer way better but I will withhold judgement till I do a seating depth test. If that doesnt pan out Im done testing them. Everything shoots in my 6.5x47L so putting in anymore work than that isnt worth it in my eyes.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/FN4HT3K.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/A5qCDv6.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Interesting.

Curious to see results of any follow up testing. The ELD-M's and hybrids require almost no work to get them to shoot tight groups. Not the case with the RDF's.

Be curious to see if you can tighten them up anymore. The 140 RDF's are showing some promise out of my new barrel. Only difference is tighter twist - gunsmith, reamer, barrel brand all the same. Maybe that's the ticket.

Ok so Im not going to test both Varget and H4350 as time is limited. I loaded up 36.6g Varget for the seating depth test.

I loaded the following

2.152" - Touching Lands
    2.144" - .01" off
    2.134" - .02" off
    2.124" - .03" off
    2.114" - .04" off
    2.104" - .05" off
    2.094" - .06" off