• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

135 Berger classic hunter? Anyone?

MachoKing

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
Thinking about trying this out in my .260. Berger has data for Reloder 26 showing it going over 2900fps. Sounds like fun.

I have shot them out of one of my 6.5's and they shot great.

Shoot something alive with them then let us know how they do. The 130 Ar Hybrids blow up. Havn't had one exit yet and I'm not running them hard.

That's how Bergers work on animals. You shoot them in the vitals, bullet blows up, dead animal. Don't expect an exit wound with a Berger.

I just picked up a box of 100 today. I plan on working up loads using h4350, hornady brass, and f210m primers.
Hope to have my fps between 2750-2800.

Shot a 220" mule deer in Co last year with 168 gr .284 classic hunters in 280ai. First hit was a little back and gave him a real messed up belly, didnt' exit had pieces of bullet in fair side hide, second was a little forward catching point of shoulder and blowing through neck(quartering away). I did find a tiny piece of the tip, hollow point in seem to snap of the tip off. Being the location of that shot he did tip straight over backwards. Shot was right at 500.
second buck in video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpuOlcKn0-c&t=699s

Well I loaded up an OCW last night using Berger's data for Reloder 26. I ended up with almost the exact same COAL as my 143gr eld-x load.

BTO 2.257 (0.020 jump).

Last edited:
I did a ladder test yesterday at 300 yards using 40.0-42.0 gr of h4350 and I'm happy with the way they shoot thus far. Once I got home I reloaded 36 rounds of 41.8 gr.
case length: 1.912
coal: 2.771
ogive: 2.178
off lands: 0.020
rifle: rem 700 / 24inch Bartlein 1-8

Attachments

• IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
These shoot great out a 6.5 creedmoor. Took my deer at 675. Total devastation. Consistently shoots 1/4 moa with h4350

I meant to update this thread. I was able to develop a load using an OCW that consistently shoots 1/2" when I do my part and is screaming along at 2950fps with 47.7 grains of Reloder 26. YMMV.

I meant to update this thread. I was able to develop a load using an OCW that consistently shoots 1/2" when I do my part and is screaming along at 2950fps with 47.7 grains of Reloder 26. YMMV.

Goodness! Is that (47.7gr) even safe? Lol! I’m doing some load dev on a new custom 6.5cm with a 22” Bartlein using H4350 and 140gr Berger Elite Hunters; and when I had someone run quickload for me it hit 63,091psi (max saami pressure) at 43.5gr. Just seems like a LOT of powder and (potentially) a lot of risk, the smoking speed notwithstanding. I have a 24” Savage barrel (on another Creedmoor) that produces consistent >.4moa to 600yds w/ 140gr Nosler BT’s doing 2825fps average and ES/SD in the single digits using 42gr of H4350. Seems like you could find a milder load with AT LEAST that accuracy that doesn’t stress your brass or push over the safe pressure limits. I love speed, probably more than many, but safety is always #1 for me.

Far be it from me to tell another man what to do - if it works for you, then carry on! Lol! Just trying to look out. I guess I’ve hit that age where I’m in old worry-wart! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodness! Is that (47.7gr) even safe? Lol! I’m doing some load dev on a new custom 6.5cm with a 22” Bartlein using H4350 and 140gr Berger Elite Hunters; and when I had someone run quickload for me it hit 63,091psi (max saami pressure) at 43.5gr. Just seems like a LOT of powder and (potentially) a lot of risk, the smoking speed notwithstanding. I have a 24” Savage barrel (on another Creedmoor) that produces consistent >.4moa to 600yds w/ 140gr Nosler BT’s doing 2825fps average and ES/SD in the single digits using 42gr of H4350. Seems like you could find a milder load with AT LEAST that accuracy that doesn’t stress your brass or push over the safe pressure limits. I love speed, probably more than many, but safety is always #1 for me.

Far be it from me to tell another man what to do - if it works for you, then carry on! Lol! Just trying to look out. I guess I’ve hit that age where I’m in old worry-wart! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's directly from Berger data. 26 is a lot slower than H4350 so you can fit more in the case without going over pressure.its also cut very short so it fills the case nicely.

This is good to know. I’ve got Alpha brass, and a big box of RL26 and 135 classic Hunters just arrived from Powder Valley. My .260 is going to see a lot of this combo....